Side cases AND top box overloading/instability

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve G.

Reaction score
You see the warnings when you look at factory top box pics. Has anyone had any instabilty or bottoming out when touring two up with all the kit??

Steve

Y'mean when loaded like these?

CFR-Kodak017.jpg

Nope!

Of course, none of these owners have been known to exceed the luggage capacity, weight limit or speed limit. B)

Remember that some of the information in the owners manual is "legal-eze" in case someone over packs/overloads the bike and experiences handling problems. Hey, it happens! :rolleyes:

Caveat: I have experienced a slight weave, at sped, with the topcase and side cases on the bike while running at slightly elevated speed. It has something to do with the vortex formed between the rider and the topcase. On trips I used topack mine with a tail pack on the passenger seat to that issue was mitigated (I have a different system, now)

Because of the style of the cases, there may be more issue with the OEM case, which is "square" on the front, as opposed to the Givi which appears more aerodynamic. That's my sight perception and not a scientific comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this is why the factory top case comes with a warning in the owners manual that says it's not to be used with the side cases. Lol

I have this set up but have yet to approach the limits of the OP. So far in normal riding and everyday use, all is fine. Even with the Cee Baileys dumping air over me onto the pillion it's stable up to around 80 or so.

I've never had a problem. I do get a slight instability at speed with the Givi on without a passenger tho, it's so mild I don't even notice it anymore. I pack the rear seat on long trips.

DSC_2363.jpg

No problem here...and these cases were full !

TakingABreak.jpg

P5260236.JPG

although cases not as loaded as the pics above they still had plenty them while running the Dragon..

Dragon052909.jpg

Dragon052909_1.jpg

Dragon052909_2.jpg

I ride solo, but I'm 290, so that kinda makes up for it. I ride with a Givi E52 and both side bags on all the time, and have never felt anything I would consider a problem...at least not due to the bags. I got lax about checking tire pressure for a while and ended up burning out a front prematurely due to low pressure.

I ride solo, but I'm 290, so that kinda makes up for it. I ride with a Givi E52 and both side bags on all the time, and have never felt anything I would consider a problem...at least not due to the bags. I got lax about checking tire pressure for a while and ended up burning out a front prematurely due to low pressure.
Yep! Low tire pressure will do that real quick! Gotta check the PSI often. Very expensive and unsafe!! B)

Yeah, at oil change at 4k, the dealer didn't want to let me take the bike without either a trailer or new shoe...it was that bad. I couldn't believe it...I hadn't noticed it visibly, but had been wondering about this oversteer problem I had begun to feel a while earlier and was continuting to get worse. Every time I made a medium or low speed turn (leaning and under 40) the bike wanted to turn more than I was telling it.

Doh! Now I know that oversteer means low air in front. Or at least, that's one cause.

Edit: (Oops, this isn't supposed to be a thread-jacking on low tire pressure.)

My daughter and I travelled like this to Colorado and back. 8500KM.

DSCF1310-1-1.jpg

And riding solo in Alabama! Then bike does get a little squishy when fully loaded. The best way to find out is to load up and test your comfort level.

DSCF2648.jpg

A little off topic but related: Regarding higgh speed stability-- On the first few runs into triple digits region of the speedometer I was running a Cee Bailey's +4+2, standard contour. I also had the V46 and side cases on, no pilliion. at about 115/120 a very disturbing weave commenced and prompted immediate throttle repositioning.

I had run above that with no top case, so I attributed the weaving to aerodynamics changes due to top case.

Last year I changed to a Cal-Sci XL to try to remove wind noise. I could never seem to ride in quiet enough air with the Cee Baileys.

With the CalSci shield the wind noise is noticeably better, buffeting is gone and I haven't felt the weave. Disclaimer: I've only been up in the 120ish range once since the shield change.

I believe the aerodynamics of the CalSci is much better than the CeeBaileys. Bike's behiavor in cross winds, truck gusts, etc is noticeably better. I wish I have discovered the CalSci years ago. YMMV of course.

I've never had a problem with the Shad top case & OEM side case installed with an oversized Cee Bailey sheild, though I don't get north of 90 or so very often. Especially with the redhead on the back. She smacks the back of my helmet if I get too heavy-handed with the throttle. :lol:

That said, I did have a problem with the subframe cracking and posted about it here, so you might read that tidbit. I think that I'm to blame for it because the top box is mounted well back from the passenger seat to make the backrest more comfortable for the wife. The fix was fairly painless and easy, though.

Rancho

So far this year Mrs. BG and I have toured 2-up from Columbus, Ohio, to points west as far as Tulsa, OK, to points as far east as Bar Harbor, Maine.

When you're fully loaded, 2-up, all you need to worry about is low-speed maneuvers, especially u-turns. The FJR is a wee bit top-heavy to begin with, and with the saddle bags loaded, the tank bag loaded, and the Givi stuffed, it's even more tippy.

Now go out for a ride and take lots of pictures and share 'em with us!

BG