Slime

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoham

Reaction score
Wonder how the small Slime unit would work on the FJR. Will the power port on my '06 provide enough "juice" ? Anyone used one, before? Forgive if this has been covered, before.

I will beat others to this, but do a search. I have a Slime pump, and while I haven't had to use it, I seams to work great. I had to put a larger fuse in the conection I have on the bike for the battery tender.

That port is only rated for three amps (the one in the glove box?), whats the slime compressors draw?

Wonder how the small Slime unit would work on the FJR. Will the power port on my '06 provide enough "juice" ? Anyone used one, before? Forgive if this has been covered, before.
I have one, only used it once and that was in the garage to see if it will work.

It seem to work ok, it is a little noisy. I have not used it enough to have any idea about how good it will be for the long term. They will not work off the power port on your FJR. I use the connection for my heated gear.

It does fit nice under the seat though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That port is only rated for three amps (the one in the glove box?), whats the slime compressors draw?

The Slime compressor draws 10 amps. I connected its' connection to the battery directly (it has an inline fuse) and use it for the slime compressor and the battery tender (only needs 6 amps for the battery tender).

FJRayJ

I have mine also connected directly to the battery, then use the plug for pump, tender, and gps. Used mine once on the road a few days after I purchased it when a friend got a flat. Used the alligator clips to his battery which was easier to access as I had yet to hook up battery lead. Not fast but did the job. As stated, fits nice under seat.

I have one of the "slime" pumps. It works fine. The one thing it lacks is a switch. I put a inline rotary switch in the line and it works fine. Slow and noisy, but it works.

There are about 4 or 5 of us in the club with them. None have been used, but the little blow hard is often rated high as compared to others. And you can't beat the price.

I got one and the matching "sticky-strings" hole fixing kit for my birthday earlier this month. I intend to hook the connection with the inline fuse directly to the battery terminals... this will replace my CO2 cartridges I'd been toting around.

There are about 4 or 5 of us in the club with them. None have been used, but the little blow hard is often rated high as compared to others. And you can't beat the price.
In order to NOT blow the bikes fuses, is it safe fuses to plug the Slime compressor to a Powerlet outlet that is hot to the battery? Not much knowledge of Ohms Law in my ole head!! Appreciate any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to NOT blow the bikes fuses, is it safe fuses to plug the Slime compressor to a Powerlet outlet that is hot to the battery? Not much knowledge of Ohms Law in my ole head!! Appreciate any advice.

As stated above the glove box outlet is only 3amps, you will need at least a 10amp circuit. I installed one in the little blank cover on the left side where the AE's have the heated grip control knob. got it at tru value hardware, comes with a black rubber cover and looks like a factory instalation. you will need to get some 14 guage wire and an inline fuse holder, put the fuse holder in the red wire from the battery with a 10 or 15 amp fuse in it, then connect the other end of the red and black wire to you new outlet where ever you decide to put it,,,,OH by the way I got my compressor from WalMart for 10 bucks, fits under the seat perfict, and it comes with a power switch and a pressure guage,, tested it pumping up my lawn tractor tire,,works great,,,,,,,,Lee

I'm having the glovebox cig. lighter rewired with heavy guage wire and a 15 amp fuse, along with a bluesea fuseblock and a powerlet on the side. Honda heated grip controller is going in the space for the OEM controller. I'll borrow a camera and take some pics of my bike when all is done.......... Does anybody know if the slime kit at Walmart, a bottle of spray leak stopper with a compressor (I know, don't use the slime leak stopper on the bike tires) has the right compressor everybody is talking about in it? Can't find just the slime compressor locally....

I'm having the glovebox cig. lighter rewired with heavy guage wire and a 15 amp fuse, along with a bluesea fuseblock and a powerlet on the side. Honda heated grip controller is going in the space for the OEM controller. I'll borrow a camera and take some pics of my bike when all is done.......... Does anybody know if the slime kit at Walmart, a bottle of spray leak stopper with a compressor (I know, don't use the slime leak stopper on the bike tires) has the right compressor everybody is talking about in it? Can't find just the slime compressor locally....
go on the web for www.pepboys.com

Dave,

with the Powerlet wired direct to the battery, and they usually come with 15A fuse, you should be safe power wise, plugging in the Slime unit to the Powerlet should cause you no problems. ;)

go on the web for www.pepboys.com
Thanks. I went to www.slime.com and assume from the site the model to get is the 40001..... I'll check out pepboys.

Dave,

with the Powerlet wired direct to the battery, and they usually come with 15A fuse, you should be safe power wise, plugging in the Slime unit to the Powerlet should cause you no problems. ;)
Excellent, I was wondering and assuming so. Thanks for the info.

Dave,

Thanks Dave, appreciate the info, yep the Powerlet is fused so I am set to go. Hope you are well, I'm good and ridin and ridin and ridin!! Life is good!!

Thats the setup I am using, you will need to change the end to fit the powerlet. You can buy a cigarette lighter to powerlet adapter, I replaced the plug with one from powerlets website.

PLuged the Slime into the cigar lighter in the glove box when I fist got it and it ran fine for about 3 seconds (until the fuse blew)