Smart Tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Smartire installed and it saved me once with an alert as I left the garage. I was able to turn around and get home. But mostly, it keeps you attentive to tire pressure. I run 42 and 42 in my Continental Road Attacks. If it goes to 41, no sweat, but 40, then 39, and I get my little Slime pump out to get them back up to 42. Handling plus tire and gas mileage benefit, also.

John

I got it now. Question for y'all. Do I have to take tire completely off to mount the Smart Tire? Groo, do you happen to made more of those angled things ? :)

I got it now. Question for y'all. Do I have to take tire completely off to mount the Smart Tire?
Most definitely! The sensor unit straps to the inside of the tire rim with giant "hose" clamps, so I had my local dealer install them at same the time I replaced the tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is also worth mentioning that if the next person who changes your tire is not careful they can damage the unit and it will need to be replaced. When they install it they have a little marker so they know where the sensor is. Is has not been an issue for me but I spoke with Smart Tire before I bought it and they shared that with me.

My strap also broke (I know, sounds like a personal problem). the last time I had my tire changed, The mechanic safety wired it at the break and it had been fine for the last 6k miles.

I got a Tire Watch system instead of the Smart Tire. its a little more expensive but the install is easier. the unit lets you set upper and lower limit alarms for both temperature and pressure. its made by a company in Cypress and I believe this unit will be standard on the Concourse 14. Do a search for Tire Watch here if interested, there is a Forum discount available to members. I have a few hundred miles with it installed, works great
Keone
LDL Technologies of France makes the Tire Watch system. Comparing the two products, Tire Watch appears to have advantages; the sending unit is smaller and lighter, and does not require the clamp bands that Smart Tire does. This suggests that it is less likely to get damaged during tire replacements. Of course it is more expensive.

I see the following note about Smart Tire on the company website:

SmarTire for Motorcycles

SmarTire is no longer actively soliciting sales and distribution opportunities for its motorcycle product.
Our remaining motorcycle system stock can be purchased from Vulcan Tire listed below, or on ebay.

I am therefore inclined to get the Tire Watch product, but am unable to find a US-based distributor on the web. I did find a Cypress based website at https://www.vancosport.com/_wsn/page22.html. Can anyone vouch for them, or suggest a US-based distributor?

I've gone through five tire changes... two front, three rear... and not a single problem. Two of them, the person used a hydraulic machine, twice another person used a manual changer like Harbor Freight, and once, I did it in the garage on the floor. The sender units are placed opposite the valve stem, and as long as the person knows where they're placed, then nothing more than a little caution and common sense needs to be used.

I do have a question as to the longevity of the units. I've used mine for over two years and ride almost every day. There is no hint that any signal is weakening. Within the first 100', there's the reading from the front, then the back... no problem. There doesn't appear to be any way to change a battery as the unit is one 3" grey slug. I've read that they last five years. Has anyone had a failure or a weak signal due to the battery going out?

John

There doesn't appear to be any way to change a battery as the unit is one 3" grey slug. I've read that they last five years. Has anyone had a failure or a weak signal due to the battery going out?
I haven't yet had any problems with the signal from the sensors, but they've only been installed a little over 2 years. IIRC, the manufacture estimates that the batteries will last 7 years in "normal" use. Then, the sensors will need to be replaced.