Smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love my Smuggler. But for a $1000 and its not even water resistant let alone waterproof. WTF Corbin?
Actually the only time I got water in mine was when I was washing the bike. Seems like they are all from the same mold but some leak and some don't.

I'm on my 3rd one and Gerald has painted one twice. I bought it used and had it painted to match my bike. A then again for the next bike.

I have one to match my 2011 silver paint. I rarely use it. While the GIVI SR357 rack and V46 topcase aren't as elegant, they are more functional (for me) for carrying extra stuff. Also frees up the pillion seat for camping gear or (very rarely) for a passenger.

Thinking about selling my Smuggler or (preferred) trading someone for a Russell seat that was designed for someone my size (6'3", 34" inseam, 200 lb). I sold the Russell that came with my bike because it was built for someone shorter than I am - pocket put me right against the tank and I need to be back a bit further! Might put the Smuggler out there in the spring, after riding season begins in the (currently) frozen Northeast...

FWIW, a fair number of the FJR Smugglers leak to one extent or other. There is some latch and/or hinge adjustment possible. Some people have made an extra barrier with RTV silicone or used automotive weather-stripping.

I know guys who make their own RC airplane cowls out of fiberglass and wooden molds. A smuggler doesn't seem like it would be that much more difficult.

Seems like a tidy profit could be made selling them for half Corbin's price. Heck, I'd give it a shot myself if I was any good at fiberglassing.
smile.png

How much fun to watch the OP buy a Smuggler AND a Russell seat and resell them on the forum. Itd be like Jaws IV.

PS I owned a Smuggler for a year. Never used it. Waste of money that would be better spent on revalving forks and adding an Ohlins.

Or buying Niehart a $1000 gift certificate to https://www.pollyspies.com

Last edited by a moderator:
There are times I really wish I knew how to weld and fabricate. My passenger seat sits empty and there’s nothing more that I’d like to do than fully utilize that space. Tail bags are somewhat nice, but most require the waterproof covers which just add to extra work in heavy rains. As it has rained nearly every day in torrents for the last 6 months (or so it has seemed in the southeast this year), it’s just more stuff to focus on keeping dry. I can’t understand how the smugglers are $1k - I don’t need color matched leaky hardware! Bah!

Once again, I have had 4 smugglers. I live in the Pacific Northwet so you know they were rain tested. The only time I had water inside the smuggler's was when I was washing the bike. If you pay attention, you can pickup a used one for $400/500. Water proof, lockage storage is a good thing. And it's easy to remove when the grandkids show up for a ride.

My gps spends lots of stopped time in the smuggler.

And if you want it color match, when you buy a used one, have it shipped to Gerald. He will painted it to match any FJR.

How much fun to watch the OP buy a Smuggler AND a Russell seat and resell them on the forum. Itd be like Jaws IV.
PS I owned a Smuggler for a year. Never used it. Waste of money that would be better spent on revalving forks and adding an Ohlins.

Or buying Niehart a $1000 gift certificate to https://www.pollyspies.com
Thank you for selling me your smuggler!!
punk.gif

Have you seen this thread?
I really liked having the Smuggler on my '04 too (it'll be in the For Sale section soon) but after getting blown off by Corbin with my questions about the Gen IIIs my money went elsewhere. In the meantime I attached a Cortech tailbag onto the seat and other than not being as secure, it serves the same purpose nicely if not better.

IMG-20181101-124734119.jpg
Hell yeah; spray a bunch of Nikwax on that baby and call it DUN! Take the $1,000 you save, and spend it on tires 'n stuff.

Fook Corbin, they're a bunch of aholes, don't know how they've stayed in business this long?

All sounds familiar. I bought one on this forum tried it on and hated the fit. It did not have clearance between the smuggler and the grab rail. I did not want it touching the rail. and it did not provide any more carrying capacity than the $25 tail bag I had from Cycle Gear. I sold it for what I paid and no regrets.   

I have a black cherry smuggler with a Richs seat looking to trade for a good exhaust or ?
Not in the market now.. I did buy a new one, color matched and all. The QC and fitment is definitely lacking compared to the '04. Despite that,  it is a very useful add-on.