Snake Bit By a Bungie Cord

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabayliner

Reaction score
It was a beautiful day about 70 deg.s in busy traffic about 40 MPH. I was enjoying the day and feeling the sun and listening to the birds. I noticed I was closer to the car in front of me than is normal and started to back off when I see a Black Rubber Bungie Cord laying crossways in the road. I swing to the right to get around it and didn't make it clear.

I hear a bump, Thumpty, Thump, and then quiet. I made the decision because I was in the middle of nowhere and was 2 miles from a gas station so decided to keep going as there was no outward signs of a problem.

I get with 1/4 mile of the station and it is getting squirley so I pull into the station and see if there was any other damage besides the flat tire.

I pull over next to the air pump and check the tire. Crap a hole but is wasn't torn so I fixed it ( thank you guys for the Tech West at Desert Motoresports for teaching me) and put some air in. Then I listen for air and DANG IT another hole. So I quickly plugged that ones as well. That is when I noticed that the rear fender was cracked and the reflector was gone.

Bungie 1

FJR 0

Remember to keep 12 seconds between you and the car in front. :blink:

Thanks for the reminder. I often find myself following to close to the car in front of me so lately I've been playing a game to break me of the habit. I watch the road right beneath the rear bumper of the car and pretend there's a 2"x4", bottle, etc. right there in the road. If I have enough time to easily make an evasive maneuver then I'm following at the right distance. Often times I don't . :(

12 is a bit too far, but you wanna keep at least 2, maybe 4 seconds. On the Interstate 12 seconds is a quarter mile, probably gonna have somebody trespass into your gap, there.

Remember to keep 12 seconds between you and the car in front. :blink:
Negative Ghost Rider, remember, keep 12 seconds between you and the car BEHIND YOU! :)

Sorry to hear about your bungee mishap

Last edited by a moderator:
12 is a bit too far, but you wanna keep at least 2, maybe 4 seconds. On the Interstate 12 seconds is a quarter mile, probably gonna have somebody trespass into your gap, there.
As many of you are aware here in the Northeast as well as other more populated areas, it's hard to keep a comfortable distance between you and the car in front of you on the major highways. Anything more than a second or two is almost immediately filled up with another car especially in moderate to heavy traffic. So you have two choices. Keep close enough to the car in front of you as not to allow someone to squeeze in, which is really dangerous or keep a good 4+ seconds between you and the car in front of you so any car that pulls into your lane is at least 3-4 seconds ahead... too much room is just an invitation for multiple vehicles to fill in the gap and then you are back down to 2 seconds or less...

I find that sticking with the flow of traffic or slightly faster when passing keeps most of the action in front of me and I don't have to worry about angry people passing me on one or both sides which to me is more dangerous because you have to pay too much attention to the side and behind you to not get clipped.

James

I find that sticking with the flow of traffic or slightly faster when passing keeps most of the action in front of me and I don't have to worry about angry people passing me on one or both sides which to me is more dangerous because you have to pay too much attention to the side and behind you to not get clipped.

EXACTLY!

Latest posts