So Much For My New Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzby

Reaction score
After months of research and finally riding both a R1200RT (2008) and an FJR (2012) and deciding (unequivocally) on the FJR, I waffled back and forth on whether to get a used Gen II or go for it and get the new 2013. I decided to put down a modest ($200) deposit to reserve the one the local dealer has coming in in a few weeks. This depsite the fact that the dealer had just taken in a clean '08 that tempted me as I walked through the door. Alas, that one had 50+K on the clock and I just didn't want one with that many miles.

However, the day after I put down the deposit, I found a one-owner '08 with under 15K - just what I had originally been looking for. So after email and phone correspondence, I made a 150 mile trek (each way) and am now the proud owner of my first FJR! Now I just need to get the stinking thing out of the bed of my truck in one piece (the trailer I had planned to rent was not available anywhere nearby - thanks U-Haul!).

09FJRintruck_zps6213ab66.jpg

Alas, I'll have to break the news to the dealer. However, he should be pleased. They got enough interest after agreeing to a price that he was thinking he'd have gotten MSRP for it. I'll use the deposit for a passenger helmet.

Congrats!

Maybe it's unclear in the photo, but those look like some strange tie-down points. And when unloading, don't be like all those guys on YouTube!!!

Enjoy the FJR!

After months of research and finally riding both a R1200RT (2008) and an FJR (2012) and deciding (unequivocally) on the FJR, I waffled back and forth on whether to get a used Gen II or go for it and get the new 2013. I decided to put down a modest ($200) deposit to reserve the one the local dealer has coming in in a few weeks. This depsite the fact that the dealer had just taken in a clean '08 that tempted me as I walked through the door. Alas, that one had 50+K on the clock and I just didn't want one with that many miles.
However, the day after I put down the deposit, I found a one-owner '08 with under 15K - just what I had originally been looking for. So after email and phone correspondence, I made a 150 mile trek (each way) and am now the proud owner of my first FJR! Now I just need to get the stinking thing out of the bed of my truck in one piece (the trailer I had planned to rent was not available anywhere nearby - thanks U-Haul!).

09FJRintruck_zps6213ab66.jpg

Alas, I'll have to break the news to the dealer. However, he should be pleased. They got enough interest after agreeing to a price that he was thinking he'd have gotten MSRP for it. I'll use the deposit for a passenger helmet.
Sorry you are concerned with 50k mi on the other bike. IMHO, it’s not the miles but the abuse and lack of maintenance that hurts a bike. Maybe 100+k mi I would be looking elsewhere. It would be worth it to unload your bike at a shop where they have a permanent ramp. A few years back, I walked out from the Microtel at Robbinsville NC (Deal’s Gap) and a rider was setting on his bike, in a pickup with a single ramp on the tailgate. I didn’t want to watch the carnage, so I convinced him to wait until there were 4 others of us to help him unload it. After he had it coming down on the ramp, I told him to put his feet on the pegs & look straight ahead and we would do the rest. It was an 800 cruiser and with the 4 of us it still wasn’t easy. Let us know how it worked out & happy riding. Later,,, De
smile.png

Congrats. Find yourself an embankment that you can back the truck up to. That is what I did with mine and was able to easily unload it by myself.

that 50K 08 was probably my old one.......

R

also if it is still in the truck when we come up for GOTC's we can all help you take it out.....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

R

that 50K 08 was probably my old one.......
R

also if it is still in the truck when we come up for GOTC's we can all help you take it out.....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

R
Congratulations on your new FJR Buzby, if it is Fairlaner's old FJR be forewarned that SkooterG has put boogers all over it in hidden locations! However, we can point them out for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a funny story that could have been not so funny! I brought my new 08 home in the back of my pick up. After arriving home my expected help wasn't available? So bright me decides to roll my scissor lift in behind my truck, bring the lift bed up to truck bed height and then simply roll the bike back onto the lift and lower it down to ground level! Keep in mind I had never even ridden my new bike yet except to sit on it in the show room! I hadn't yet experienced just how heavy the bike is! OK so I'm in the back of the truck with the bike no longer tied down and I'm starting to walk it backwards onto the lift! This should be no problem, right! Now I have the back tire onto the lift and me and the rest of the bike still in the back of the truck, perfect everything is going as planned? Me thinks? I pull back a little bit more and now I have one foot on the lift and the other foot on the tailgate of the pickup... are you following this disaster looking for a place to happen? In the aforementioned position the lift starts to roll back away from the truck! I freeze, I am balanced between the truck and lift with the back of the bike on the lift and the front still on the truck tailgate. The next thing to happen is the bike starts to become a little overbalanced to one side and I lose my balance jumping down to the ground now holding the bike by the footpeg in my right hand and my left hand reaching up to the handlebar! Are you following this so far! Oh did I mention that I live in a country like setting, neighbours not too close, you really like the privacy, Not! I couldn't move. As long as I stood there I was OK and the bike remained balanced, and if I tried to get back up the bike weight shifted and I knew it would fall probably on me, and if it did I hoped it would kill me for being so stupid! You probably guessed that this scenario turned out without the bike falling because a neighbour from his yard so me standing there for a very long time and wondered if I was OK and also wanted to come over and see my "New Bike"! The two of us were able to wrestle the bike safely to the ground. Just my first experience learning just how heavy the FJR is and how stupid I can be. The end.

Welcome to the forum Buzby.

Hope you enjoy your bike.

I'm waiting for the manual GenIV in 2014 with the upsidedown front forks. (Well, maybe??).

Dang! An '08 with under 15K on the clock?

Awesome! Congrats on the new wheels!

BTW - when I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought the worst. Glad I was 100% wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was almost "so much for my new (to me) Gen II" Dropping that bike out of there would have been a bad bad thing...

Nice choice!! Getting it down from the bed is always tricky. If you can't find a ramp, let all the air out of your rear tires, get about 3 or 4 other guys and be careful! lol

Good luck with it. Glad to see you went with the fastest color!!!!