So THAT is what a FJR is supposed to be like.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, don't touch the head or swing-arm bearings unless you know something is wrong. That advice was given to me by a trusted tech with 40 years worth of wrenching experience. I never did either on my 226k FJR and it was fine.

Well done on all DIY maitenance!
Agree the first time I did my swingarm and centerstand the swingarm was well greased. The centerstand is a complete waste of effort, just spray with lube at the pivot points. Now the linkage is another story, my bearings were dry at 20K and were replaced.

If pulling the forks I would do the head bearings. It's all about peace of mind..

I did a fork rebuild, but didn't bother opening up the SHBs. The steering is rock solid with no notchiness or wobble at any speed. With the new oil, seals, slides and other parts, the bike is behaving a lot better in curves, and the undulations do not throw the bike off.

Timken bearings took out all head shake on decel. I disagree w/ my esteemed colleague mr. Skooter-pie about servicing these items. Too each their own. ;)

I did my head bearings last july....went will all balls tapered ones and they made a big difference IMHO........

R

Upgrades and preventative maintenance should be best practice. There are only a small handful of nuts or bolts that haven't been copper greased on my bike. The detailed knowledge my bike is invaluable to me apart from the great satisfaction I have derived from doing all my own servicing.

Andy

I did my head bearings last july....went will all balls tapered ones and they made a big difference IMHO........

R
Richard, I installed Timken tapered bearings in my last bike and was really pleased with improved handling. So far, the OEM head bearings in my FJR are just fine, but eventually I'll make the change. However, I'll still have to settle for catching up to you at smoke-breaks. Heaven help us if you ever quit. :blink:

I did all the stuff on my '04 including the swing arm (and replacing SHB because they developed a notch.) The issue with the swing arm was the centerstand bolts. Anyone know if the Gen IIs have the same problem? (I could go look but that would entail getting down on the ground and at my age, once I'm down there, I better have a wrench in my hand....) I'm betting they are the same orientation.

I did all the stuff on my '04 including the swing arm (and replacing SHB because they developed a notch.) The issue with the swing arm was the centerstand bolts. Anyone know if the Gen IIs have the same problem? (I could go look but that would entail getting down on the ground and at my age, once I'm down there, I better have a wrench in my hand....) I'm betting they are the same orientation.
If you're talking about what a PITA they are to remove, then yes, the GenIIs have the same issue. I've looked at mine and I'm just not in the mood to fight that fight. I only say that cuz I know the dealer did them at around 16k or something like that...Otherwise...................................