So who has actually used a non OE filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deja vooooo....

OEM first oil change...

Walmart Supertech 7317 for a couple changes...

Autozone Bosch 3323 last change...and next one coming up this weekend.

My local Walmart stopped carrying the Supertech so they could make more

shelf space for crockpots and Summer's Eve. For me the filter has gotta be

black...thus the selection above. I did cut open the OEM and it's guts are

much different than the others. But I figure they are good enough and maybe

better.

I only have 5000 + miles on my FJR ... So, what I use probably doesn't count,,

But, I've been using a blue Pure One PL14610 or a black Bosch (don't remember the #) since the first oil

change.. Can't bring myself to put a nasty looking cat-shit yellow filter on my pretty black bike..

So, when I run out of blue Pure One filters I'll use Bosch or paint them ...

I've also read on the internet that the Pure One and the Bosch are good quality filters,,

I used a Fram ( cartridge type) on my Concours ,, almost 60,000 miles,, still running strong

I also change oil every 2000 to 3000 miles ,,

I use a PureOne PL14610 with no issues and it looks, well, you be the judge. (I believe is has been compared to cat shit in color)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this list has been posted here before. Here is a long list of filters that will fit various bikes. The FJR falls into group 5 down at the bottom. There are some 66 or so different filters that will fit. There's a lot of other good reading on this site too.

clicky

The filter for my Honda Accord (and most other Honda cars) fits the FJR, never had any problems (37k miles and counting). They can be bought in a ten pack for a reasonable price and most importantly, are almost galaxy blue. They have the Honda H on them, so it's a good conversation starter with observant people.

Well I'm glad I read this thread. I have been spending $14 per OEM filter at the Yamaha dealer which is way too much. The local auto parts stores here in west central Florida don't carry FJR oil filters. So I will check Amazon and see if they have these aftermarket filters.

Thanks,

Mick

You can google "Yamaha OEM Parts" and pick from a dozen web sellers purchase of the OEM filter for $7 and change each

Then pick some needed spares like bolts, plastic washers to protect the paint, plastic clip attachments, crush washers, etc. to have around when you, ahhhhh, drop something into the abyss of the engine compartment (don't ask how I know)

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I put a K&N on this time. Black and about $12. I know many use a car filter that works but I'm not changing my oil as often as some and probably more than others as I use Rotella T Synthetic which I use in all my vehicles. It is really a heavyduty lube which is probably changed too often by most. It's that good. So, where I'm going is; if you're not changing oil often - K&N or similar, or buy the car filter that fits. Can't go wrong with OEM either then you don't even have to think about it. Just make sure you're changing the washer on the drain bolt every time as it's not worth forgoing this step. Too cheap to skip.

Have yet to come across a thread like this. Long story short, got caught in a pinch and went with one of the filters listed in the Bin, the Bosch 3300 which is shorter than the OE. Is running the shorter Bosch going to be okay in the long run? I've only warmed the bike up after doing the oil change to full temp them a few quick revs. Let it sit for a few to check the level.
Note: the Bosch 3300 was small enough that only 1 gallon of oil put the level almost at the top mark on the sight glass.

So how many have actually used non OE filters?

You can google "Yamaha OEM Parts" and pick from a dozen web sellers purchase of the OEM filter for $7 and change each
Then pick some needed spares like bolts, plastic washers to protect the paint, plastic clip attachments, crush washers, etc. to have around when you, ahhhhh, drop something into the abyss of the engine compartment (don't ask how I know)

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'
Cycle Parts Warehouse

PRODUCT INFORMATION:

Part Number: 5JW-13440-00-00

Description: ELEMENT ASSY, OIL CL for Yama Yamaha

Order Quantity: 2

Shipped Quantity: 2

Unit Price: $7.86

Total Cost: $15.72

Purolator PL14610 since the first oil change for mine. That is a "one up" size from stock.

I use that same filter on my wife's FX35 and that's a 3.5L V6 @ 280HP.

That SUV also uses the punier filter and I ended up "up sizing" that to the bigger PL14610 as well.

I just did my first change, used the Bosch 3300 & Rotella 15W40 as others have noted, a perfect fill height with the 3300 filter and 1 gallon from wallyworld. Oil was $10, filter was $6, took 5 minutes. Will keep my eyes open for the Bosch filters on sale. Almost bought the supertech, but am a bit sceptical about quality and source dueo to lack of brand name, could be sourced anywhere and changed without notice, so I will stick with the name brands.

Latest posts