Sometimes Being An Adult Sucks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys and girls are alright. I just told someone in a PM that I needed to get this stuff off my chest. My wife gets it, but it's different. My girls still don't understanding loving something like that, but the little ones are good comedic relief. They don't understand, "Put him to sleep," so, of course, the 5 year old asks, "So you killed him while he was sleeping?" FacePalm. Lol...

My point is, people asking how my day is don't really want to know, and they sure don't want to hear me blather. Here, I can write it down, and wait for the people that want to read it to read it. The responses are amazing help.

We grew up with animals. Dogs, cats, horses, cattle, sheep, goats, ducks, and I'm sure stuff I'm missing. The dogs, cats and horses are the ones that hurt to lose. They become part of the family. I love them because they love us back for almost no reason. It's good to be reminded that we all feel that way.

Thanks for the responses and the stories. These things are never ending, and as much as it hurts, it's good to care for something other than ourselves!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't be profound about it, AJ, but I understand and sympathize. I've cried over pets before--and never with as much history as you and Scoot had. Condolences to your whole family. And to everybody who wrote about losing a pet here in this thread.

Damn Zilla! I am very sorry for your loss. The Mrs. and I don't have human kids. Our dogs are our kids. It is VERY hard when the the time comes, but you know that you are ending their suffering.

AJ so sorry for your loss...condolences, but if I was 50 years younger I'd kick you in the ass for getting me all teared up,,,you sonwabitch.

Edit: Better yet, I'll dream about you tonight and kick you in the balls....
tonguesmiley.gif

Sorry for your loss, sucks. No other way to put it. You did make the right decision, it sometimes comes down to who are you keeping them alive for? Them or you? And you have to look at their quality of life. Been there, and will be there again, animals have a way of being there for us that no person can. Condolences.

AJ so sorry for your loss...condolences, but if I was 50 years younger I'd kick you in the ass for getting me all teared up,,,you sonwabitch.
tonguesmiley.gif
.... I'll never be 50 years younger again and only in my dreams could I kick anybody in the balls....
nono.gif

Waitaminute.

AJ - you grew up with sheep?

Some things about you just ... make sense all of sudden.

tonguesmiley.gif
.... I'll never be 50 years younger again and only in my dreams could I kick anybody in the balls....
nono.gif
Don't believe him - petey's got some crazy ninja skills. DAMHIK.

Sorry for your loss, AJ. Having always been a long time, multiple dog owner, I can definitely relate. We've had a long line of companions, and every one of them has been brutally hard to lose. Most of them required me to make that toughest of decisions: Whether to selfishly try and keep them around just a bit longer, or to stop their hurting.

The cruelest part of having animals as your best friend is that they will not outlive you. You'll often have to face manning up and doing what's right, even when it hurts you to the core.

Unless, maybe, if you started having tortoises as pets, then you might be OK.
unsure.png
But, I can't see getting too attached to a smelly turtle...
wink.png

AJ-

We've never met, hope to some day. Sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing. My wife has been a horse owner since she was a young girl, so for the past 25 years I have been as well. We put down two of them few years back and it was hard, they are family.

AJ that was a beautiful story with a very sad ending. It made me cry dammit and so did the other posters stories. I really feel bad for you and have gone through the loss of a pet so I know how you and the others feel. Thirty years is a long time to bond with an animal and finally have it come to an end. Sending my sympathy and understanding.

Unless, maybe, if you started having tortoises as pets, then you might be OK.
unsure.png
But, I can't see getting too attached to a smelly turtle...
wink.png
Last a longish time. Easy care. Not terribly affectionate...
petrock.jpg
Pros:

Don't eat much, no piles of crap to step in, don't mind getting slapped around after a hard day at the office, wonderful listeners, and wonderfully quiet; no worries of unplanned parenthood, expert at cracking walnuts.

Cons:

Takes forever to fetch a beer or make a sammich. OTOH it won't drink your beer or eat your sammich so it's a toss-up.

Quite possibly the perfect pet for cantankerous old bass turds.

I really think this thread should not be allowed to drift into foolishness. I am all about keeping it serious unless the OP, 'Zilla feels otherwise.
Meh...I can't be that self important. Just like most threads here, I sort of expected it to drift into foolishness. I knew the part about owning sheep was gonna wake some people up. FWIW, that was always my mom's deal. I was away at college when she had sheep. My brother was home though...

I can only be sad and serious for so long, and then life kicks back in, and things have to get put away. If not, we'd never heal, and we'd always be mourning our losses. I will miss that horse terribly. I had him for so long, I never really thought about him not being around. However, now that he's gone, life continues. The grieving process is the same for this, parents, loved ones, friends, whatever. Some are more intense than others, but they all hit the same nerves.

We have done good, and we do it every time someone posts up a loss. I've seen tons of dog and cat threads, and they are all targeted at helping the poster heal. Same as here, and if I am so self centered that I can't understand that eventually, this place is going to get stupid, well, I would need my head examined. The stupidness is most of the reason I come here.

Thanks!!

"The stupidness is most of the reason I come here"... HotRodZilla

Well then my wide shouldered friend, as you wish. Let the "stupidness" take over.

I just don't have it in me to make jokes about this one just yet. I hope you are doing better over there. I look forward to our next meeting.

"The stupidness is most of the reason I come here"... HotRodZilla

Wowser, this should be on top of the Masthead of www.fjrforum.com Brilliant, AJ! JSNS!