Sonora Pass to Nevada, Monitor, Ebett's Passes, 6/03/06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I finally have some pictures of the passes. Lots of fun moving along Hwy108 toward Hwy395.

The anniversary card was just too cool. Thanks MM2 and thanks to everyone who signed it.

For the other guys who cut off at Hwy4. We got talking with a rider from Washingtom who was in Carson City(?) for a V-Strom meet. One of the guys out on a ride went down so hard he compressed the back of his Schburth(?) helmet and has memory loss from 8.00am this morning. Free helicopter ride included.

East side of the Sierra's on Hwy108

IMG_1585.jpg

FJR train pulling in to the same overlook.

IMG_1588.jpg

Alpine lake Hwy4 - just East of Bear Valley

AlpineLakeJune32006.jpg

It was a long day for the riders from Clovis (469 miles) but worth the effort. Here are a few of my photos of the highlights.

Runoff near Sonora Pass

454af17a.jpg

Eastern side of Sonora Pass highway

50462d95.jpg

FJR Overlooking Lake Alpine

FJR6-03-20065Small.jpg

Bob and Brenda at Lake Alpine

FJR6-03-20067Small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here is my attempt at this "posting pictures" stuff.

Going "up" Hwy 108 above Sonora.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor003.jpg

Following PennerK and Nightshine and "the group".
SonoraEbbettsMonitor004.jpg

More Hwy 108

SonoraEbbettsMonitor006.jpg

Rest stop @ Dardanelle. L-R: Uberkul in the shadow, Skyway (in ballcap, Bluestreek in grey sweatshirt, Lou, the Kawi rider (at least his back and head), Toecutter and Eve (with her back to the camera).

You know what's missing? The Rogdebs and their red FJR.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor008.jpg

We saw this "interesting" vehicle at Dardanelle. Think they get some snow here @ 5000'?

SonoraEbbettsMonitor009.jpg

Yes, Hwy 108 has some fun parts.....

SonoraEbbettsMonitor012.jpg

.......and interesting scenery......

SonoraEbbettsMonitor013.jpg

And great backdrops!

SonoraEbbettsMonitor014.jpg

Awesome pics folks... makes me wish the end of July would hurry up and get here...

Holy guacamole, has someone hijacked MM2's account? Posting pictures? Well I never!! :clapping:

Congratulations. :D

Here are some more pictures for your enjoyment:

My picture of "The Waterfall" with the mountain in the background.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor019.jpg

There is still some snow toward the top. I think we're about 8,000 ft. here. Nightshine and PennerK are just too fast for me!

SonoraEbbettsMonitor021.jpg

More riding in what I think is some rather majestic surroundings. I'm following (rear to front) PennerK, Nightshine and the Toecutters.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor023.jpg

The valley floor with Hwy 108 in the foreground. The road runs to the right about 1/8 mile then does a left hand switchback. Waaayyyy fun road to ride!

SonoraEbbettsMonitor027.jpg

Some of the group at the overlook. In the foreground, L-R, Bluestreek ("Say what?), Nightshine and Uberkul. In the background are Eve (in the helmet, she's sooo shy), Lou with his back to the camera and Toecutter.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor030.jpg

Coming South on 395 from lunch. I held the camera and took a picture over my shoulder. I don't know who is who.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor045.jpg

And this is who I was trying to catch: Skyway leading Uberkul leading RicknSac and "The Den Mother" on their Triumph.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor043.jpg

Heading West on Hwy 89 toward Monitor Pass.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor046.jpg

Beautiful "downtown" Markleeville (Also "uptown" and all the sidestreets!). In the summers the street is lined with all types, kinds and brands of motorcycles, RVs, etc. There are 3 eateries within a 1 block walk, so "yuh parks where yuh kin, en finds a seat".

SonoraEbbettsMonitor051.jpg

Hope Valley, at the intersection of Hwy 88 and Hwy 89. Straight ahead, West on Hwy 88(to the left of the picture) is Carson Pass. To the right, on Hwy 89, is Lake Tahoe and if you continue past the "triangle" of U.S. 50 (Which is running along the top of the ridge and slanting down to the Tahoe Basin) and Hwy 89, it will take you around Emerald Bay.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor057.jpg

That should give you all a better idea of the "tough" scenery and roads we are forced to ride in the Sierras. :lol: What a fun ride and what a great day to be out on the bikes.

Hmmmmm, I see them. I'll go check tonight. Roger told me he's had the same problem with photobucket dropping pictures. Prolly on my end.

Roger told me he's had the same problem with photobucket dropping pictures. Prolly on my end.
You probably are still going the "Cheap bastard route". They cut you off when bandwidth limits are exceeded and you have to upgrade to a premium (paid for) account.

Roger told me he's had the same problem with photobucket dropping pictures. Prolly on my end.
You probably are still going the "Cheap bastard route". They cut you off when bandwidth limits are exceeded and you have to upgrade to a premium (paid for) account.
If the bandwidth was exceeded, the image displyed would say so. It looks like the links are broken. If you organize, move or delete the image inside of photobucket, this will happen.

Yep, I fubar-ed. I was in Photo Bucket playing around, so its strictly my fault. I just got home so give me some time to fix it....

So let me give you a couple more, just for fun!

One of the dikes around Caples Lake on Hwy 88.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor060.jpg

On my way home I rode Ione-Michigan Bar Rd. An innocuous little 2 lane. The sign says 40 mph, RVs take it at that speed....however, beware, because it is an off-camber sweeping "S". Uhhmmm, can you say, "Waaayyy fun?" FJR normal speed on this rode is....well, faster than 40 mph.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor065.jpg

Have you noticed that the valley is starting to turn "Golden"? I hope you are all aware that California is called the "Golden State" because of the color of the land that's covered by the wild grasses which turn "Golden" in the summer. NOT because of the gold rush.

Here's one I took because these little "farm oasis" exist all through the valley. To me its always interesting to be riding for hours in "golden" grassland and then come over a rise and see the green trees, a small pond or lake and some out-buildings. And yes, we do get wind.

SonoraEbbettsMonitor066.jpg

Holy welcome to the 21st century, Batman! Mikey's posting up piccies! Just what is the world coming to? Nice job, Mike! I have a tear running down my cheek, you make me so proud!

:D

Although I post this some months after this ride was held, it's a great example of how all of our lives are endlessly intertwined.

While taking a rest break at a scenic overlook on Hwy 49, some of us who enjoyed this ride might remember meeting a lady named Sydney. She had ridden a Victory motorcycle with lots of chrome and sparkle to match her colorful and enthusiastic personality /:). Well I ran into her again just yesterday at the Streetmaster's workshop in Rosamond, CA. She's still riding that Victory, and the workshop was her boyfriend's birthday gift to her.

She remembers meeting our group that day and say's "Hi" to everyone!

SydneyFront.jpg

<b>Sydney Front</b>

SydneyBack.jpg

<b>Sydney Back</b>