Sous Vide, the adventure begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooked a center-cut pork loin tonight with salt, pepper, rosemary, basil, garlic, and finished on the GrillGrates. I just kegged a batch of Russian Imperial Stout from secondary fermentation, and recovered the American oak chips, and used those for some smoke. The fusion of sous vide and grilling/ smoking is producing some easy and tasty results.

Well, I put one of these contraptions on my Christmas list. If money was no object, which model would you choose? The Anova One Bluetooth looks like a good choice for a newbie.....
https://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/
Well, forwarded the link to my son as a "suggestion" for Christmas. Will see what happens.... ;)

The batch sizes for the Pico are a bit small for me. Sous vide is basically anything that can hold a reasonably steady temperature, so most brewing is targeting starch conversion in malts at 145-160 and then must be capable of boiling wort. I can see how that device would be serviceable. My discussions already resulted in some lucky people getting the Joule sous vide from my doctor's assistant. People hear of this and get pretty excited since it is an affordable gift that keeps giving.

Tonight's installment is a smallish 2.5 lb prime rib. Preparation was simply salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and garlic rub, then into the immersion bath. Medium rare is 130 to 135, so I'm splitting the difference and cooking at 133. To finish, the plan is to recover au jus from the bag, then a high heat sear on hardwood lump charcoal. I saw a slick trick using a charcoal starter chimney turned upside down to hold a small amount of coal up high, with a grate on top. I'll use the Grillgrates on this and get some wood chips to put some smoke up. This should be hotter than the gas grill and a little more flavor in the maillard reaction.

158A851E-8C25-45DE-AFD2-498EB5292AC2.jpg

64AF9B4D-9B56-4405-8D7B-8FCD55433764.jpg

Yes, I have melted my chimney handle. I'll try to get some pictures of the finished roast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a prime rib steak in the sous vide. About an hour to finish. Salt pepper olive oil. Will sear in skillet with butter. Sides will by left overs from t-day: glazed carrots and smooshed yams.

BTW: The glazed carrots were also sous vide for t-day.

PrimeRibSteak.jpg

Lots of leftovers for me. The meat was very tender and flavorful. I could cut it with a fork. I pushed getting the sides done too quickly and would have liked to give a bit more sear time to the main course. Other than that, the wife is still suspicious of the safety of this technique. I'm getting perfect medium rare, but she keeps pushing for more done...not going to happen. This was excellent with a horseradish sauce, and accompanied by mashed potatoes and gravy from (from renderings), and asparagus.

The sear:

58577418-9131-4C59-BD7F-369627F0B01A.jpg

Results:

2104C9A8-AF66-4647-979D-CC11BA9D65E9.jpg

Lots of leftovers for me. The meat was very tender and flavorful. I could cut it with a fork. I pushed getting the sides done too quickly and would have liked to give a bit more sear time to the main course. Other than that, the wife is still suspicious of the safety of this technique. I'm getting perfect medium rare, but she keeps pushing for more done...not going to happen.
My wife will eat bloody red roast beef sandwiches when she goes back to the Boston area (where she grew up), but will not eat a medium rare steak. Medium is pushing it for her.

The way I look at cooking whole (unground) meat is that you only really need to get the outside of it up to the "safe" food temperature to kill the bacteria. The inside has been sealed inside the animal and will not be tainted by harmful bacteria unless you've been mucking around inside of it. That's one reason not to stick a probe into your meat until the outside has been brought past pasteurization temperature. And of course that also means that ground meat is a bacterial playground and should be pasteurized throughout.

This sous vide stuff is interesting, but I wonder how close you can get to the results by using lower that traditional BBQ smoker (or even kitchen oven) temps, and then searing the meat afterwards. Talking just for meats here, as I realize that the sous vide is able to be used on many other foods that wouldn't go on the grille so easily, like eggs, veggies, etc. I often see warnings about cooking at too low of a temperature, I suppose to avoid promoting bacterial incubation for too long, but temperature should be temperature whether it is hot smoky air or hot water with the food sealed in a bag.

The way I look at cooking whole (unground) meat is that you only really need to get the outside of it up to the "safe" food temperature to kill the bacteria. The inside has been sealed inside the animal and will not be tainted by harmful bacteria unless you've been mucking around inside of it. That's one reason not to stick a probe into your meat until the outside has been brought past pasteurization temperature. And of course that also means that ground meat is a bacterial playground and should be pasteurized throughout.
This sous vide stuff is interesting, but I wonder how close you can get to the results by using lower that traditional BBQ smoker (or even kitchen oven) temps, and then searing the meat afterwards. Talking just for meats here, as I realize that the sous vide is able to be used on many other foods that wouldn't go on the grille so easily, like eggs, veggies, etc. I often see warnings about cooking at too low of a temperature, I suppose to avoid promoting bacterial incubation for too long, but temperature should be temperature whether it is hot smoky air or hot water with the food sealed in a bag.
Fred, the closest equivalent on a smoker would be holding temperature at 150-175 until the internal temperature reaches 130-135, then finishing with a hot sear. Flavor penetration of smoke would be much greater, and cooking in air does produce some flavor notes that I don't think are achievable in sous vide. With that said, holding a smoker to 150-175 degrees is a challenge, and timing becomes a critical issue since the meat cooks from outside to inside and you must be ready to pull at the exact right time to get perfect results. This becomes even more challenging with roasts and thick cuts as there will necessarily be a gradient of doneness across the profile. With sous vide, another hour isn't going to make much difference, so timing is much easier, and the dish will be uniformly done from inside to outside.

Yes, and if you could get your smoker or oven to stick to exactly say 145 (for a rare steak) it will take longer to cook, which means you are in danger of drying the meat out. So you'd want to seal the meat up in a bag. You'd also have to hang it so it doesn't touch the metal food grates. Meat in a smoker is not subjected to the exact same temperature on all its surfaces. Even a reverse flow like mine still has radiant heat coming up from the baffle. Unless you can find charcoal that burns at exactly your desired temperature, there will be variations throughout the cooking chamber.

Your best shot would be to use a convection oven (if you can set it that low...mine only goes down to 175) Same issue still with drying the meat out...you'd still want to seal it in a vacuum bag, and hang it so it's not on a grate...And you'd need to put a temperature probe right next to the meat (without touching) as even with a convection oven, there are hot spots/cold spots.

The Sous Vide I think is just more precise in delivering a constant set temperature to the meat....I guess that's why they are called "precision" cookers. ;)

Ummmmmm no. There could be blood borne bacteria or bacteria could travel inside with moisture like salt does. But you cook and eat it the way you want to big fella.

Cut beef is steril. If the outside is clean, it can be eaten without cooking it. Ground beef has to be cooked, as well as pork and chicken.

I often see warnings about cooking at too low of a temperature, I suppose to avoid promoting bacterial incubation for too long, but temperature should be temperature whether it is hot smoky air or hot water with the food sealed in a bag.
The difference is that you set the temp for the target doneness and it can't go over (can't over cook).

Food safety is a 2 part function of time and heat. The lower the heat, the longer the time needed (with a lower limit of course).

https://sousvideguys.com/2015/01/sous-vide-food-safety-myths/

My question regarding cooking, is why do they say to cook chicken to 165F, but red meat cooked to 140F is safe?

I thought bacteria is bacteria and there should be only one required tempature point to kill off whatever is in anything.

Seems like the reccomended cooking temperature for poultry is a bit high?

Did find this:

https://www.yourdoctorsorders.com/2013/06/dont-overcook-healthy-cooking/