Spark plug cap & wire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapskate2

Reaction score
So I took advantage of the rain and replaced the plugs on my '07. All was well until my fingers slipped while trying to twist & pull the plug cap off of #4 and I pulled the wire out of the cap. I don't see a real mechanical connection, so I just pushed the wire back into the cap. Bike starts right up and runs smooth as silk. Is there anything more to putting the wire and cap together then just pushing it in? TIA for the help.

The spark plug boot has a spiral threaded post that the wire will spin on to if I remember correctly. You might want to pull the tank and make sure you have the wire twisted onto the post just to make sure you don't develop a miss later on.

Maybe.

If the clip at the end of the wire is solidly connected to the wire and the clip "snaps" firmly around the spark plug tip then all is good. Of course the rubber boot slips over the plug to protect and isolate it too. If the bare wire has separated from what I'm calling the "clip", shoving it in will make for a weak connection. You'll need to fix it or replace it before running it more just to be safe. (It's a cheap replacement) I havent looked close at them, but sometimes a separated clip can be recrimped to the end of the wire.

As you probably know...grip low on the boot so as not yank that wire out again.

Hope this helps.

extrememarine....you were absolutely correct. I guess I didn't look hard enough. A flashlight and magnifying glass let me see that the brass post was indeed threaded. Cut about 5/16" of wire off and spun the cap right on. Back in business. Thanks for the help.

ridernotbiker...thanks to you as well for your response. Just didn't feel good about just pushing the wire back in.

This forum rocks.

I put a dab of dielectric paste in the boot so it doesn't stick to the plug and another dab around the side of the cap so it doesn't stick to the valve cover.