speed bleeders - any tips?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
about to do the brakes and clutch fluids on the 2014. Previously I used a mityvac on the 2009 and it was messy to say the least. So I've bought speed bleeders.

Any words of wisdom from those of you who have gone this route? The instructions seem a little too easy to be true.

Eric, the speed bleeders are as easy as it gets in that, once installed, all you need to do is pump the brake or clutch, and the fluid bleeds off one-way. You still need a tube on the bleeder to a waste container. Once done, close the bleeder and put on the cap. I think they're great, but nonessential. Everything is in reach for me on the FJR, and as long as I'm careful to protect the paint, it is easier for me to conventionally bleed the brakes (open bleeder, pump, close, repeat) than use a vacuum bleeder. I had them on a previous bike, but have not bothered on the FJR. For a rarely as this comes up, it just isn't worth saving 5 minutes all around, although it is nice to just stand by the master cylinder and refill as you pump. YMMV.

Have fun! Looks like you're getting ahead of the maintenance interval on that bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greatest invention since the thong (when properly applied.... the thong that is).

The clutch fluid seems to go dark very quickly on the FJR.

Speedbleeders work as simple and easy as the instructions say. I'd suggest putting a wrap of teflon tape around the threads before installing.

Good as Speed Bleeders are, be aware of their one limitation.

If you ever find yourself bleeding a system with a lot of air in it, the air pressure from squeezing the lever will NOT be sufficient to open the ball valve. Jobs like that you have to get much of the air out before the SBs will work.

I have them, I like them! The genuine Speed Bleeders come with a compound on the threads to prevent air bypassing the threads. Teflon should not be required.

Should not have to use any Teflon tape. Eventually the factory applied pipe sealant will wear off but they sell the sealant and I think regular plumbers pipe sealant might work just as well. I have one set on my car that have been in use for 3 years now and the original sealant is still good.

Actually, I'm doing good with a brake bleeder hose. Just tubing with a check-valve in it.
Those look interesting. Is there a trick to keeping the threads on the loosened valve from leaking air?
Basically only loosen the valves slightly. It will allow fluid to flow without letting air back in if you don't open too much.

More completely, I squeeze the brake lever (or pedal) as I carefully loosen the valve. As soon as the lever/pedal gives, that's enough.

Actually, I'm doing good with a brake bleeder hose. Just tubing with a check-valve in it.
Those look interesting. Is there a trick to keeping the threads on the loosened valve from leaking air?
Basically only loosen the valves slightly. It will allow fluid to flow without letting air back in if you don't open too much.

More completely, I squeeze the brake lever (or pedal) as I carefully loosen the valve. As soon as the lever/pedal gives, that's enough.
Seems simple enough .... even for me ;) The hoses are cheap. I'll order one and give it a try. Thx.

Greatest invention since the thong (when properly applied.... the thong that is).
Yeah, when those things are improperly applied they leak a lot, and then you'll never get it all out.

I'm talking the thong here...

The clutch fluid seems to go dark very quickly on the FJR.
Yeah it does. So what? It still works right? And it's not like the clutch fluid is going to over heat, right? You could probably use olive oil in there and it would work just fine.

Seriously, the messy issues you have on a Mityvac are the same ones you'll encounter with a speed bleeder.

But, unlike with a positive pressure bleeder (like the speed bleeders, or the conventional pump and close technique) a vacuum pump system (like a MityVac) keeps the vacuum pressure negative throughout the bleeding, so you should never have to worry about getting air inside the system as long as you keep the vacuum up and the reservoir full. You might not be able to tell when you've got all the air out of the lines if the bleeders are leaking air, but the air will be getting sucked out immediately. That is where the sealant or pipe tape comes in handy.

There is a whole lot of kool-aid drinking going on around those speed bleeders, and personally I am mystified as to why they are so widely accepted. YMMV

I am mystified as to why they are so widely accepted. YMMV

I think because they have worked well for so many people for so long. I've never had an issue with them making a mess or letting air into the system and they make the job much easier. I have yet to hear about anyone who used them and was displeased... I guess until now.

I'm with Fred. As I said in my first post, I used them on a prior bike, but for once per year, or every other year, it's not worth it for me to install them on the FJR.

HOWEVER, I do put them on cars. Ever had to ask a wife or daughter to come help pump brakes while you bleed? That is where speedbleeders are worth their weight in gold.

Good as Speed Bleeders are, be aware of their one limitation.
If you ever find yourself bleeding a system with a lot of air in it, the air pressure from squeezing the lever will NOT be sufficient to open the ball valve. Jobs like that you have to get much of the air out before the SBs will work.
This is true. For this reason, when you install the SBs, keep the originals. That way you can swap one in if you have to fill/bleed an empty system. When you install them, make sure the reservoir caps are in place and tight. Makes for less leakage during the install.
As to the mess others have spoken about, I have no idea what they're talking about. I use them because the only loose fluid is at the nipple when I pull the hose off, and that's minimal. IMO, they're one of the least expensive, most useful maintenance additions you can make.

No issues with mine.... makes the job super easy and mess free. Easy install (no teflon tape should be used - they come ready to install with sealer applied). Worth it for me.