Split: Yet More Off-Topic About Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
I am currently on my second season on the same set of PR2's. There is still plenty of life left to them. I don't plan on changing them until late fall or next year. These tires are phenomenal for wear here in flatistan. I am not keeping up with the mileage this year as last year due to plaguing back issues. Sucks to get old Dammik.

Dave

Yep, PR2's are the tire of choice for straight road longevity with the occasional riding of the side of the tires.

I too am a big fan of the PR2's I have been getting 14-15K miles on them. I just bought a set of PR4's from Jake Wilson for $347 free shpn and no damn sales tax. I would have continued with PR2's but they no longer offer a 190/55. I note Fred W is a believer in the BS front tire. I may give that combo a try next time around.

Yep, PR2's are the tire of choice for straight road longevity with the occasional riding of the side of the tires.
I've had PR2s on the track (on my FZ1).. very good grip for a sport touring tire.
They work fine for me in the twisties, as well...I've got a set ready and waiting for EOM
punk.gif

If you do go with the T30 front, don't freak out when the tread scallops. It will scallop, but it doesn't cause any problems, and is less buzzy when it scallops than the PR2s are (which also scallop). I've been getting ~9k miles from the rear PR2s and ~12-13k from the front T30s.

Of course, YMMV ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had PR2s on the track (on my FZ1).. very good grip for a sport touring tire.
PR2 on the track? No way! Never!https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/168469-gixxerjasen-does-an-fjr-trackday

wink.png
Right.. in your original post you mentioned "occasional riding on side of the tire" making it sound like poor choice for spirited riding. I think they work really well and if you're outriding PR2 grip levels on the street, you're pushing too hard :p

Awesome that you hit the track on your FJR, btw!

Well, it works well for spirited riding, but if I lived somewhere in the mountains with a sporty bike, the PR2 wouldn't be my tire of choice. But on the FJR here in the flatlands, it's like the best darn tire you can find. That's kind of where I was going with that. I have hit the track on other bikes with the PR2 as well and never had any issues though.

Well, it works well for spirited riding, but if I lived somewhere in the mountains with a sporty bike, the PR2 wouldn't be my tire of choice. But on the FJR here in the flatlands, it's like the best darn tire you can find. That's kind of where I was going with that. I have hit the track on other bikes with the PR2 as well and never had any issues though.
Yup. There are stickier tires out there, but I've yet to find anything that provides better grip than PR2 while also yielding 10-12k miles of use.

Yup. There are stickier tires out there, but I've yet to find anything that provides better grip than PR2 while also yielding 10-12k miles of use.
Indeed, I'll continue using them on the FJR as long as they'll keep selling them to me. The Supermoto is another story though.
wink.png

Just about out of tread on my rear PR2, the first of it's kind for the 2014A. At 6500 miles, I'm not too happy about that. My Gen 1 bike would get 8500 - 9000 out of the same tire, same roads, same riding style, etc.

1 instance does not make a pattern. I've got another PR2 on the shop floor and will give it another try. We will see what happens after that.

I would love to get 7k out of a rear PR2!

Meanwhile, it is a good compromise..PR2 rear, BT T30 front.

I will NEVER put on a PR2 front again. Good for 1000 miles, then rides like a truck tire for the rest of its life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, now we are going to start insulting truck tires? Dammit, there is nothing wrong with my truck tires, they do just what they are supposed to do. They roll, they spin, they carry the weight. What the hell do you want a truck tire to do? Ride like a motorcycle tire?

Sorry. These tire threads just amuse the hell out of me.

Truck tires on the front of a motorcycle, making darksiders look like a big bunch of sissies.
biggrin.png

It's really amazing how much more motorcycle tires cost per mile than cage tires. I know that they are asked to do more with less, sort of speak. I'm willing to pay to play. I don't have to like it, though....

It's really amazing how much more motorcycle tires cost per mile than cage tires. I know that they are asked to do more with less, sort of speak. I'm willing to pay to play. I don't have to like it, though....
Well...some FJR owners go double dark side...so go over there behind the curtain and begin plotting your economic recovery program.

Wait, double dark side?
That is when you have a Car Tire on the rear and a bias ply motorcycle (usually a rear tire from the early '80s) on the front. I know for the ST1300 the OE front tire size is an oddball so the "rear" tire that they use is one size larger. It really fills up the front fender.

I admit I don't like it and I won't do it but I followed an ST1300 recently that had gone Double Dark. He had a lot more available lean angle than my old ST1300 ever had. I asked Pop if he was seeing what that bike was doing. "We are going too fast for me to be able to see what anybody else is doing. I can see he is still on the road and that is pretty impressive!"

Status
Not open for further replies.