Sport/Tour selection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S mode in the twisties in no problem at all for some of us wheatie Just ride like I do
Sorry Craig, I can't ride that fast.
Well now....that was just flat uncivilized!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmmmm...My '07 doesn't have Twat mode, so it stays in Stud mode all the time. Never had a problem in the twisties, but maybe that's just how us neanderthals with uncivilized bikes roll.

Hmmmmmmmm...My '07 doesn't have Twat mode, so it stays in Stud mode all the time. Never had a problem in the twisties, but maybe that's just how us neanderthals with uncivilized bikes roll.
To my butt dyno, the GenIII sport mode is a touch quicker on the throttle than previous Gens, Touring mode is a little too unresponsive/laggy for me. I've tried it in various conditions, just doesn't do anything for me.

At EOM Fred W and I were comparing our T's & S'es and not for the first time we had very divergent observations. I had commented to Fred that when we are riding together I have to keep my FJR in the S mode because every situation where my FJR is in the T mode and there is heavy throttle action his bike walks away from me, but in the S mode I keep up just fine. Fred then says that he always rides in the T mode so our acceleration when we are both in the T mode should be close to the same. Apparently not so. It may also be partly related to the fact that his pillion is a barely there additional weight and the 'beams are a full load. In any case, my FJR doesn't want to keep up with others when in the T mode with the less aggressive throttle response. Even my pillion has noticed and commented on the softer throttle response in the T mode.

I'm not a lot impressed with the acceleration of my '15 to begin with so there aren't many situations where the T (Torpid) mode is useful to me. I almost always keep my D setting in the S (Sizzle) mode and I don't really notice any abrupt or twitchy throttle response so I just set it to S and forget it.

Great comments. Like the others, I much prefer Stud mode in the fun stuff because things seem night and day more responsive that way. I've tried both modes while droning long distances and didn't see much difference in mpg's between the two so I just keep it in S mode.

This thread has been enlightening. Not the part about Yamaha saying not to change the modes while riding. I remember reading that. I am just surprised so many of you guys switch back and forth. I guess it makes sense cause that's why the bike has two modes. For some reason I tried both when I first got the FJR and liked the T mode better for most situations. Just smoother throttle response. I got into the habit of just always riding in T.

I am going to have to broaden my horizons.

I was more inclined to use T-mode riding in tight switchback when in 2nd and 3rd gear, I found it to work better/smoother in that condition
eh-smiley.gif
, otherwise it stayed in S mode. On my little beemer it's ROAD and RAIN mode with the same throttle response change.

I was more inclined to use T-mode riding in tight switchback when in 2nd and 3rd gear, I found it to work better/smoother in that condition
eh-smiley.gif
, otherwise it stayed in S mode. On my little beemer it's ROAD and RAIN mode with the same throttle response change.
Great!

I ride like petey!

biggrin.png

I was more inclined to use T-mode riding in tight switchback when in 2nd and 3rd gear, I found it to work better/smoother in that condition :eh-smiley: , otherwise it stayed in S mode. On my little beemer it's ROAD and RAIN mode with the same throttle response change.
Great!I ride like petey! :D
Ooooh, here we go.... :no:

S is Safe mode, instant throttle response for coping with traffic.

T is for the Thlippery thtuff. Maketh thure your twackthion control ithn't tethted.

T is also useful on my YCC-S when carrying a passenger, almost eliminates helmet tapping during gear changes. Yes, I know I could roll off the throttle when changing gear, but where's the fun in that?

But mine is almost invariably in S.

For my own knowledge base, I've ridden intentionally and consciously in both modes over the past week. Commuting on the freeway, a few detours onto 4-lane streets during peak hour congestion, and two late-evening runs to enjoy the cooler weather.

1. Although Sport/Sizzle/Stud/Safe mode will never be my preferred, it sure does allow for hooning in traffic. Throttle response is immediate and significant.
2. Touring/Thlippery/Twat/Torpid encourages a smoother flow to the ride, although still several hoon notches higher than my sporty TT.
3. You cannot switch unless the throttle is fully closed.
4. You cannot switch when under cruise control.