Sportbikes, In the News, And It's Ugly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
> Speed limiting ECUs were proposed.> The death rate for sportbikes is MUCH higher than for other types of motorcycles.

> The theft rate for sportbikes is MUCH higher than for other types of motorcycles.

> Speed is one of the most important factors in accidents and deaths associated with these types of motorcycles.

> Insurance companies are losing money on the insurance policies they write on these bikes.

Why would this information be on a business website? Because paying insurance claims is bad for the insurance business.IRBR
So, if legislation mandates that speed be restricted for these nasty, lethal, death machines then Fred and Ethel will have to pay less to insure their Oldsmobile, right?

How about we address one of the major factors in ALL classes of vehicular accidents, and pass a law that prevents people from operating a motor vehicle while under the influence? But wait...... didn't we already do that? Enforcing that insurance-money-saver wouldn't be very popular with Fred and Ethel now would it? Let's look to the bad guys on the motorcycles instead.

Jill

You must be feeling MUCH better!!! :rolleyes:

So, if legislation mandates that speed be restricted for these nasty, lethal, death machines then Fred and Ethel will have to pay less to insure their Oldsmobile, right?
But we won't talk about that here, because this is an FJR forum and we all know the guidelines say politics is only allowed when talking about SPECIFICALLY motorcycles and pending legislation.

It's actually curious that the thread title alludes to government mandated and proposed ECU limits....but there's no actual link or specific claim in the article.

Watching thread to see if it gets on some sort of useful and non-devisive track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thanks. MUCH better than I was. Andy took me out for breakfast this morning, on MY bike. (I rode several bikes a couple of weeks back, and ended up very sore afterwards). Of all the bikes we have, the FJR is the nicest one for a passenger. It was almost as good as riding on the front, but not quite.

Jill

But we won't talk about that here, because this is an FJR forum and we all know the guidelines say politics is only allowed when talking about SPECIFICALLY motorcycles and pending legislation.
You should be ashamed of yourself... Silver Penguin or I would NEVER even think entering the political arena!!

Yes, thanks. MUCH better than I was. Andy took me out for breakfast this morning, on MY bike. (I rode several bikes a couple of weeks back, and ended up very sore afterwards). Of all the bikes we have, the FJR is the nicest one for a passenger. It was almost as good as riding on the front, but not quite.

Jill
Glad you are better Jill but watch it!Iggy may get to pulling the plug on politics.I liked all you said here.It all make sense to me and my insurance company is going love having a reason to be increasing my rates.Besides have you ever seen 30000 HD's trying to go through the same mountain pass in Sturgis and a large majority of them are new riders?Scary thought indeed!

Glad you are better Jill but watch it!Iggy may get to pulling the plug on politics.I liked all you said here.It all make sense to me and my insurance company is going love having a reason to be increasing my rates.Besides have you ever seen 30000 HD's trying to go through the same mountain pass in Sturgis and a large majority of them are new riders?Scary thought indeed!
As usual, Iggy is right. I stand corrected and will speak no further of the p word. FJR's are far more fun than the p word anyway. That's why the people that go into that oldest of professions don't have the joy of a motorcycle in their lives. (Unless they happen to be a movie actor in Kaleeforrrnia).

Once I get back onto my bike(s) my perspective should become a whole lot more balanced and rational. (IE I will not concern myself with such irrelevant issues as the p word). :rolleyes:

Jill

I'm not saying I agree with regulation, but you didn't have to be Nostradamus to see it coming.What pisses *me* off is that the behavior of these people will eventually effect my life, either through limited choices at the dealership, or increased insurance rates, or disproportionate application of law enforcement because I choose to ride a bike that doesn't look like a Harley.
+1

Here on the military base you don't get on without a minimum of helmet, over the ankle boots, gloves, reflective vest, long sleeves and long pants.

I am always shocked to see so many folks w/o helmets. I knew a guy who was reduced to 2 year old mentality after a lidless bike wreck.

As far as insurance goes, I strongly believe that it should be included in the price of gas. The more you drive (or bigger the ride) the more you pay. At least for basic liability. If you want full coverage on your Lambo, buy it.

> Speed limiting ECUs were proposed.> The death rate for sportbikes is MUCH higher than for other types of motorcycles.

> The theft rate for sportbikes is MUCH higher than for other types of motorcycles.

> Speed is one of the most important factors in accidents and deaths associated with these types of motorcycles.

> Insurance companies are losing money on the insurance policies they write on these bikes.

Why would this information be on a business website? Because paying insurance claims is bad for the insurance business.IRBR

How about we address one of the major factors in ALL classes of vehicular accidents, and pass a law that prevents people from operating a motor vehicle while under the influence? But wait...... didn't we already do that? Enforcing that insurance-money-saver wouldn't be very popular with Fred and Ethel now would it? Let's look to the bad guys on the motorcycles instead.

Jill

It's actually curious that the thread title alludes to government mandated and proposed ECU limits....but there's no actual link or specific claim in the article.

Watching thread to see if it gets on some sort of useful and non-devisive track.
Ignaicio,

Go to this URL:

https://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4209.pdf

and search for this sentence:

"Short of banning supersport and sport motorcycles from public roadways, capping speed of these street-legal racing machines at the factor might be one way to reduce risk."

There is only one entity that has the authority to enforce these proposals, the Federal government of the United States. These proposals were made by the IIHS.

Lee

Ignaicio,

Go to this URL:

https://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4209.pdf

and search for this sentence:

"Short of banning supersport and sport motorcycles from public roadways, capping speed of these street-legal racing machines at the factor might be one way to reduce risk."

There is only one entity that has the authority to enforce these proposals, the Federal government of the United States. These proposals were made by the IIHS.

Lee
Only one problem......YOU DIDN'T INCLUDE THE LINK UNTIL JUST NOW!

Thank you for finally including it, but please take care in the future when discussing political things on this forum to be thorough.

Ignacio,

My initial exposure to this report was through a second hand article posted on the CNN Money website, whose link I posted in my initial post on this thread. That article contained this quotation: "Short of banning supersport and sport motorcycles from public roadways, capping the speed of these street-legal racing machines at the factory might be one way to reduce their risk."

My initial post contained the link to the CNN Money website article that contained that quotation and referenced the IIHS as the source.

IRBR

I am IRBR on this one. I dont think he is puching the politcal issue at all. He is meerly informing people of what is going on in the US that might impact us. I am glad he posted it. I am also an avid boater and along the same lines the group that I am member of not only informs its members they actually sponsor programs to fight laws that impacts its members.

As far as you YELLING at him. He posted it and I think better late then never.

Remember all caps is yelling and in most cases unessary.

I found the documents rediculous. Thats the great thing about facts. They can be manipulated make any case. Maybe they need to do what a lot of countries in Europe does. They limit the size of the bike you can ride based on your age and experience. This seems like it would be more effective.

Their Stupid if they thing putting a device on a MC to limit the speed will work. They do this is cars and what do people do. They mod it to remove the restrictions. Duh.

I really love the reference to comparing a bike to Nascar. There are a lot of cars out on the market today that have really high horsepower. In fact with NO2 a lot of these cars are actually as fast if not faster than a bike. What about those. There are already have limits, and it doesnt work. Such as here in CA it is supposed to be illegal to run NO2. And it doesnt work.

Thanks for bring this to our attention.

Ignacio,
My initial exposure to this report was through a second hand article posted on the CNN Money website, whose link I posted in my initial post on this thread. That article contained this quotation: "Short of banning supersport and sport motorcycles from public roadways, capping the speed of these street-legal racing machines at the factory might be one way to reduce their risk."

My initial post contained the link to the CNN Money website article that contained that quotation.

IRBR
OK, let's see if I can follow the logic trail. Yes, this guy made the quote (which I didn't see initially....thank you for the point-out), BUT I don't think he's with the government.

From the IIHS webpage here: The IIHS is an "an independent, nonprofit, scientific and educational organization dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries, and property damage — from crashes on the nation's highways. The Highway Loss Data Institute's mission is to compute and publish insurance loss results by make and model. Both organizations are wholly supported by auto insurers."

or another source is here.

You still think he's a government guy? I don't think he is....and so back to my original concern.....nobody in the government has actually made the proposal.

Not that I don't think somebody in the government wouldn't be thinking about it, but I still think we need to fix this.

Thanks.

Ig
Ignacio,

I'm not clear that I didn't follow the forum rules.

I posted the source of my information in my initial post, a CNN website link, which was included in my initial link. If people read that, they would have read the following:

The CNN article contained a verbatim quotation from the primary report which clearly identified the source as a spokesperson for the IIHS, Anne McCartt, IIHS's senior vice president for research.

The verbatim quotation suggested that "Short of banning supersport and sport motorcycles from public roadways, capping the speed of these street-legal racing machines at the factory might be one way to reduce their risk."

Any person of ordinary intelligence and experience in life knows that there is no entity other than the Federal government that can force these proposals into law.

Please explain how I violated Forum rules.

IRBR

Ignacio,

My initial post contained the link to the CNN Money website article that contained that quotation.

IRBR
OK, let's see if I can follow the logic trail. Yes, this guy made the quote (which I didn't see initially....thank you for the point-out), BUT I don't think he's with the government.

From the IIHS webpage here: The IIHS is an "an independent, nonprofit, scientific and educational organization dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries, and property damage — from crashes on the nation's highways. The Highway Loss Data Institute's mission is to compute and publish insurance loss results by make and model. Both organizations are wholly supported by auto insurers."

or another source is here.

You still think he's a government guy? I don't think he is....and so back to my original concern.....nobody in the government has actually made the proposal.

Not that I don't think somebody in the government wouldn't be thinking about it, but I still think we need to fix this.

Thanks.

Ig
Ignacio,

I'm not clear that I didn't follow the forum rules.

I posted the source of my information in my initial post, a CNN website link, which was included in my initial link. If people read that, they would have read the following:

The CNN article contained a verbatim quotation from the primary report which clearly identified the source as a spokesperson for the IIHS, Anne McCartt, IIHS's senior vice president for research.

The verbatim quotation suggested that "Short of banning supersport and sport motorcycles from public roadways, capping the speed of these street-legal racing machines at the factory might be one way to reduce their risk."

Any person of ordinary intelligence and experience in life knows that there is no entity other than the Federal government that can force these proposals into law.

Please explain how I violated Forum rules.

IRBR
Any person of average intelligence knows that a spokesperson for the insurance industry ISN'T the government.

So, unless you can show me where there's actual pending legislation like your title suggest....the title is inaccurate and the thread does not fit into the exemption of the board guidelines. Thread closed.

Also, very bad form for copying my PM with you. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.