SPOT Emergency Contact List

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, late to the party. RJ, are you talking about a SPOT/FJR riders SPOT Help message list/site?

Also, I assume that by now everyone has changed their data interface from Fire Eagle to XML.

Sorry, late to the party. RJ, are you talking about a SPOT/FJR riders SPOT Help message list/site?
Also, I assume that by now everyone has changed their data interface from Fire Eagle to XML.
It'll work like this:

any in the "group" that send a help message ....That message will go to a specific email adress that I'm setting up. This will trigger a couple of things:

a.) Email notification to everyone in the group

b.) Start a thread on a website where people can see the location etc ...and then comment/post -this will allow folks to see each others comments in real time. this will allow coordination to assist the rider can be put into place swiftly easily without a million messages going all over the place.

Does that make sense?, does that sound groovy to you?

This will start out simple and as a Beta ....if it seems to be what folks want we'll clean it up and such ...if it becomes very popular/appealling we'll go to the next step and make it triple-groovy and allow self-sign up etc etc etc. Time will tell. Do you want to help test? coordinate with Carver if you do.

yes, I believe i was the 2nd one to make the change to XML ...that is a good move it seems.

Sounds great John! A real asset to the Forum.

BTW - The cost of transport... I broke my leg / ankle in 2000 on a lowside and the ride ( about 5 miles) was $1500.00 for the service. Well worth getting the emergency transport.

I have been using my SPOT for almost a year now and am very happy with its performance and piece of mind it gives my family. I also mount mine on my bike and true I may not be able to get to it to press the 911 button at least they will be able to find me and save my wife any prolonged agony.

I would be more than willing to help facilitate the So Cal area as well. I am about 50 miles east of LA.

Thanks,

Daniel

Groovy. Far Out. Bitchen. Da Bomb. Cool. Rad...and a very, very good idea, too.

Adding a far-flung network of compulsive, resourceful, Type A's to a list of people to notify if you need help? Priceless!

Groovy. Far Out. Bitchen. Da Bomb. Cool. Rad...and a very, very good idea, too.

Adding a far-flung network of compulsive, resourceful, Type A's to a list of people to notify if you need help? Priceless!
while I'm sure I have your email filed under "flashbacks and bad acid trips", would you mind sending me your current email addy. If you're game, we'll set up your spot as the initial test spot. my email is in my profile.

I am late to the party too as i have been away having fun with my wife.......

But i am in for sure....

R

I'm probably dumb for testing so soon and exposing what will likely be a few issues ........

But, if anyone wants to start testing, need a few volunteers:

1 person to be set their spot and send a test "help" message or two (after I give you details on what to do to your spot)

[Toe Cutter (aka: Bob F aka: Fireman bob. aka: The guy with the long hose.]

Thanks for volunteering Toe.

3to5 people to get the automated email when that above message is sent.

Name1

name2

name2

....and a few people to follow the website and post messages and see how the flow goes. (NO NEED TO VOLUNTEER FOR THIS ....I'll provide the website for folks to post messages when we're ready.

If you want to volunteer yourself and/or your spot and have the time to test a bit ...please ping me off list (email in my profile)

Ditto if you want to be on the email notification list

Thanks ...John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey RJ,

Would it be possible for the system to send a text message to a cell phone instead of an email message? We had a demo of some paging software a bit ago that did that in addition to alphanumeric paging. Maybe even ping peoples pagers? I don't know what the interfacing requirements were, though.

Just wondering. What you are doing is great though.

Cheers,

Fred

PS. I'd be happy to be on the notification list up here. Don't have a spot yet but sure thinking about it.

DC,

Put me on the list as willing to help in the Hwy 132/49 (Coulterville, Ca) area. Due to my proximity to the hills, I've already been tapped to help out a few fellow riders that had flats by providing a loading ramp and/or trailer.

Here's what I did at ST-Owners.

I added a private userfield. Not sure how easy that is with this software but I think it's pretty feature filled so probably easy.

It is a private field so no one other than admins/mods can see it in someone's profile.

Members then put their traking url in that field and if someone feels that a rider is missing, an admin mod can confirm a current location based on the spot data. However, since it's a private field, we are not going to just give that out to anyone and we'll first try to contact that member via their cell phone or other info. We do this and don't make it public because some people could use this to see a person is not home and rob them - pretty crappy but that's life.

The number one thing you can do is communicate with your family members, let them know what your route is, if you know it. Check in with them. Also, include a close friend in that list as well.

I have a spot on order myself so I believe that is a great device.

I just sent a "test" Help transmission from my SPOT which triggered a couple of things:

a.) it sent an email to everyone on in the "group"

b.) it started a new thread on the group website.

You can see this thread at the site and you can post messages to simulate help, or in this case comment on if this is a good idea:

https://www.spothelpgroup.com

090922SPOT_help_screenshot.JPG

the group site is here:

www.SpotHelpGroup.com

Let's see if this scheme is a good one and/or one worth pursuing.

RJ

IPhones can download "instamapper" so family members or whoever you give your login and password can monitor your progress and location from a PC. If I remember correctly, it was a free download from the IPhone apps system.

Work well except it eats up the IPhone battery and slows it down running in the background.

You can ride with the IPhone plugged into a 12v charger which helps.

google "instamapper for iphone"

let's ride safe and be careful out there as best we can so SPOT and Instamapper is only a precaution,

Mike in Nawlins'

Reading the information on the website, I see no new features on the second version. The ergonomics (repositioning and labeling of buttons, size, etc.) are improved, but no claims of improved performance.
Read the features page. The GPS receiver is improved over the old one, it is now separate from the transmitter, and as a result, coverage is allegedly much improved.

I didn't see that -- THANKS. I hope they have an upgrade program in the future -- I'd probably go for that.