SPOT Emergency Contact List

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
More and more of us Feejer Pilots are running SPOT tracking for peace of mind and enhanced security should the big off happen. Brother Toe just had a timely post here?, which got me to thinking...

I need a 'circle of SPOT friends', folks who I trust, to help me should I be down but not necessarily 911 broken. My loverly, bless her heart, would do her best, but she doesn't fully understand the entire environmental nuances of riding... geography, temperatures, night time coldness, terrain, water availability, chances of making shelter, types of help most suitable (tow trucks, trailers, bike shops, welding shops), and so on.

But you folks, fellow riders, do.

Just like the FJR Assistance List, would it be handy to have a SPOT List? If there is adequate interest, I think we could somehow merge this with the FJR Assistance List, if not, it could be separate. I'm thinking there could even be some kind of plan, a checklist if you will, of questions to ask, scenarios to evaluate based upon location, time, # of hours ridden, time of day, people to contact, etc, that would become a 'standard' for SPOT responders.

Either way, I fully plan to ask some folks I trust with my life to be on my personal list. To not do so is foolish. For example, I know that RenoJohn and ToeCutter would make good decisions for me when I couldn't, 'nuff said? And me for them.

I'll be watching this thread to see if it generates any interest.

dcarver

More and more of us Feejer Pilots are running SPOT tracking for peace of mind and enhanced security should the big off happen. Brother Toe just had a timely post here?, which got me to thinking...
I need a 'circle of SPOT friends', folks who I trust, to help me should I be down but not necessarily 911 broken. My loverly, bless her heart, would do her best, but she doesn't fully understand the entire environmental nuances of riding... geography, temperatures, night time coldness, terrain, water availability, chances of making shelter, types of help most suitable (tow trucks, trailers, bike shops, welding shops), and so on.

Just like the FJR Assistance List, would it be handy to have a SPOT List? If there is adequate interest, I think we could somehow merge this with the FJR Assistance List, if not, it could be separate. I'm thinking there could even be some kind of plan, a checklist if you will, of questions to ask, scenarios to evaluate based upon location, time, # of hours ridden, time of day, people to contact, etc, that would become a 'standard' for SPOT responders.

Either way, I fully plan to ask some folks I trust with my life to be on my personal list. To not do so is foolish. For example, I know that RenoJohn and ToeCutter would make good decisions for me when I couldn't, 'nuff said? And me for them.

dcarver
Donaldo, count me as interested! You know I hate technology with a purple passion-I only have a cell phone because I was tired of SkooterG and Fairlaner bitching me out. You know I navigate all over Mexico without GPS, maps only; I hate GPS!

But, I've had a heart attack and I do turn 61 next month; and my illegitimate bastard Son says that I'm senile and have the A-disease where you can't remember shit: So I'm due for a SPOT. Was somewhat surprised you didn't pick Bustanut joker and odot, over RenoJohn and ToeCutter, as your first personal contacts. Give us a little chalk talk on how this SPOT works.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcarver
Donaldo, count me as interested! You know I hate technology with a purple passion-I only have a cell phone because I was tired of SkooterG and Fairlaner bitching me out. You know I navigate all over Mexico without GPS, maps only; I hate GPS!

But, I've had a heart attack and I do turn 61 next month; and my illegitimate bastard Son says that I'm senile and have the A-disease where you can't remember shit: So I'm due for a SPOT. Was somewhat surprised you didn't pick Bustanut joker and odot, over RenoJohn and ToeCutter as your first personal contacts. Give us a little chalk talk on how this SPOT works.
I am looking to buy a Spot unit...if I could find one of the new smaller units in Phoenix :angry: . I think having a few folks beyond family to call on would be a great idea. Some riders tour a regional area like me, I pretty much stick to the SW US. But others go everywhere so having a few people you could count on out of your home area would be nice. I think it's a great idea and I would participate.

Maybe as a contact on the message list, it goes to a distribution list? It could be everyone that is willing to help, SPOT users or regional. We may need another spreadsheet with contacts similar to ICE info. the list that exists of people willing to help out fellow riders could be used for the closest rider willing to help in the area of the message to reduce redundancy.

Excellent Idea Don. Both yours and Toe's SPOT thread are very relevant.

People should have SPOT buddies. A SPOT buddy pool would be appropriate, then getting one or two of the SPOT buddies that is not on a ride and at home wasting their time posting on this forum to track you. They should know your itinerary, could keep track of the SPOT and your position, and if you don't move for some time, give you a call. If no contact, etc, have other plans or times to call, then put into action the SPOT search and rescue plan if still no contact.

Good stuff Don, great idea that we should all think about.

I'd imagine the FJR Assistance List could be updated to include a SPOT column, and members could either put N/A or an "X", then you could just copy that member's contact number and put them into your SPOT "Help" info, depending on their proximity, etc...

I'll ping Bungie about the possibility of setting this up....

I'd imagine the FJR Assistance List could be updated to include a SPOT column, and members could either put N/A or an "X", then you could just copy that member's contact number and put them into your SPOT "Help" info, depending on their proximity, etc...
I'll ping Bungie about the possibility of setting this up....
Excellent Toe, I think this idea might have ROI.. if just one rider is helped, it would be worth the effort.

Excellent idea as it is being refined. This Summer, I had a difficult time figuring out emergency contacts I could count on. I came up with two non-riders I could trust for non-911 help; but a local rider's help is sometimes worth it's weight in gold (even a non-mechanically inclined one knows things non-riders don't, and can reach out to those whodo know). I'd sign up to help somebody. I'll watch this thread carefully.

I like the idea of the assistance list being modified. One idea: perhaps have the assistance list printed out for our home-folk to access in case they see we are possibly in trouble far from home. I ran it by my wife, and she thought being able to call riders on the FJR assistance list near where I am for advice/assistance would ease her mind.

EDIT: wish I had thought of this before.

I concur that having that as part of the FJR assistance list would be invaluable. Count me in - whether it is part of the FJR Assist list or compiled separately.

Griff

Badcat, this is why dcarver should be at SW-FOG. Don could give us evening seminars on SPOT for dumb asses like myself!

C'mon dcarver, we need you to edumacate us.....I know some things about the Spot as I research most things before I buy them but it would be nice to hear from someone that has lived with one.

I'm intrested when I get my Spot, as a former pilot this is like filing a flight plan, you open it when you take off for your trip and close when you get to your destination.

We've got the SPOT and would be willing to share help with other forum members.
Exellent. Prepare a 35 minute presentation for the Sat. evening dinner in Page.

PowerPoint, a short film, and a bottle of good hootch will make it more effective.

(You can stand on a chair, Jill. The same one you use to get you up on your FJR. :D )

(You can stand on a chair, Jill. The same one you use to get you up on your FJR. :D )
LOL! :yahoo:
Jill, since Don and Bob will not be at SW-FOG, the damn party-poopers, I am going to count on you to educate me on SPOT!

Question Number One: What does a SPOT cost? $150, $275 or the equivalent of an evening's bar tab of Old Michael and I??

Question Number Two: Both Badcat and Toecutter have made mention of a new and improved SPOT. Wait for a new one?

Question Number Three: What's the cost of the subscriber online service for SPOT and do you buy it monthly or by the year?

Question Number Four: Bearing in mind half of my riding time is in Mexico, does SPOT work throughout all of North America?

Question Number Five: I have heard horror stories of how expensive an accidental 911 call is, just how bad is the $$$ hit???

LOL! :yahoo:
Jill, since Don and Bob will not be at SW-FOG, the damn party-poopers, I am going to count on you to educate me on SPOT!

Question Number One: What does a SPOT cost? $150, $275 or the equivalent of an evening's bar tab of Old Michael and I??

Question Number Two: Both Badcat and Toecutter have made mention of a new and improved SPOT. Wait for a new one?

Question Number Three: What's the cost of the subscriber online service for SPOT and do you buy it monthly or by the year?

Question Number Four: Bearing in mind half of my riding time is in Mexico, does SPOT work throughout all of North America?

Question Number Five: I have heard horror stories of how expensive an accidental 911 call is, just how bad is the $$$ hit???
Don, some of your questions are answered in this thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=122254&hl=

Check out the last few posts for some pertinent cost answers.

Even if you hit 911 or help inadvertently, you can cancel it (assuming you realize you were a dumbass). The newer units coming out appear to be smaller, and the button layout is more intuitive and less likely to incur the wrath of EMT's and police. For example the 911 button is red. SPOT works around the world at no extra cost, except for sub-saharan Africa for some reason, the North Pole and one or two other spots. The new SPOT is supposed to be out in a couple weeks per the website. RenoJohn is a whiz with these things, BTW.