SPOT services and SPOT-1 Vs. SPOT-2.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was on "manual" mode, where it marks your location only with a button push. :(
Dammit.
I just activated my SPOT II today and damn if you aren't right about having to activate the track feature. Good to know. BTW, search for "SPOT promotional code" and you'll find a whole buncha codes from various forums to save $50 (they throw in the tracking feature for free). My Thumper Talk forum was one of them.

My Thumper Talk ....
???

Bambi_Thumper-1.jpg

I just activated my SPOT II today and damn if you aren't right about having to activate the track feature. Good to know. BTW, search for "SPOT promotional code" and you'll find a whole buncha codes from various forums to save $50 (they throw in the tracking feature for free). My Thumper Talk forum was one of them.
Awesome! Thank you for the tip! :clapping:

EDIT - Looks like I am picking up a SPOT 2 also. Hopefully the arm-band will work fine out of the box, if not I will have to get a seamstress to shorten the band.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was on "manual" mode, where it marks your location only with a button push. :(
Dammit.

spot 2 for me. the only problem is in a crash by yourself, you will not likely to be able to reach your spot if hurt. they are designed to be on the person for ultimate safety.

OM, you slay me. S L A Y M E E E. And I felt odd simply ordering electrical gadgets from Eastern Beaver....

Went out on a 90 min ride to one of the forest trails near my house tonight, and took my cell phone and my SPOT II with me to see how they compare. If you have cell phone coverage, running Trackr.eu's software was pretty awesome. It sends out a tracking signal every 15-60 seconds, enough to capture lots of detail about your route. Though it eats battery life like a surburban housewife eats potsticker samples at costco, you can see how accurate it is *IF* you have cell coverage. It tracked the route and even some side detours I took off road (see nub at upper left):

Trackr.JPG

At the same time, I had the SPOT II on its tracking mode, which sends out a message with your location every 10 min. I also pushed a few of the non-SOS custom message buttons to test out the ability to send messages. Here's what I saw when I got home:

Spot.JPG

So far, none of the custom messages I sent have showed up, even though the SPOT indicated they had been sent. I may not be using the SPOT correctly, since every time you press a button, it cancels the activity of the previous button you pressed. Below was the kinds of terrain I was in at the worst point (and when I pressed the SPOT message buttons); heavy tall trees and about 5 miles back in the forest.

SPOT2.jpg

I was only slightly disappointed by the SPOT vs. Trackr on my cellphone, but in fairness, they are complete different devices. SPOT did track me way back on the forest road (#4 in the SPOT map above); if I did not have cell phone coverage, SPOT would have given my family a good sense of where to look for me. However, if the messages I sent were received, they would have known exactly where I was. With Trackr, assuming I've enabled my family to see my location, they also would have seen exactly where I was (provided I had cell coverage).

The bigger difference is that SPOT tracking lasts 7 days or more, mostly because it only sends out a message only every 10 minutes in tracking mode, whereas Trackr sends out more frequently. Also, clearly SPOT worked without having to need cell coverage. Finally, I am lucky to get 4-5 hours using Trackr on my cell phone and Trackr is useless without cellphone coverage.

I'll have to resolve why my custom messages did not get sent. I suspect it might be user error, as the tracking seemed to have stopped when I pushed the message buttons, and did not resume when I pushed the tracking buttons again. I'll have to play around with the SPOT to better understand the message buttons. I did send one out later as a test, and it was received.

All in all, I am reasonably satisfied that the SPOT does what it claims to do.

Using the Spot 1 I found that you had to make sure you got a green light to send a message and it is easy to to not note it. The trees and S. Mountains can screw it up. hopefully the V2 is better

I have the SPOT 2. It works great. The only "advantage" over the SPOT 1 as far as I know, is the smaller size. The SPOT 2 uses 'AAA' batteries and is rated for a shorter battery life than the SPOT 1, which uses 'AA's. Battery life in both cases is more than adequate, especially if you don't use the tracking function. Whether or not its useful is a subjective question. I hope mine is never useful. If it does become useful, I hope it performs as reliably as it has when I really don't need to use it.

I paid for the tracking service because I'm a gadget geek, and I paid for the roadside assistance service because its pretty cheap, and portable to any vehicle I'm using. I also paid for the GEOS member rescue benefit - in case I really get in trouble in the middle of nowhere. The only thing I didn't pay for was the replacement plan. The thing works now and appears to be pretty rugged. If it breaks I'll just buy another one.
REI sells the SPOT devices and has an EXCELLENT reputation for returns and services. They'll take things back no matter what so if you buy from there I don't think you'll have any need for paying for additional replacement coverage. (not an employee or paid spokesperson)

I want the Spot Connect. If you have a non-emergency type problem, you can tell the folks what tools and parts to bring.
Yes, the Type and Send option on the SPOT Connect has me intrigued as well! :)

Although, I already have the SPOT-2 so I am going to keep it for a while - I am happy with the SPOT-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a SPOT II today. I've read many opinions about on the bike, or on the person. One thing consider is that if it's on your arm and you go down...chances are it could just as easily be destroyed as if its on the bike. Might actually have abetter chance on the bike. Jes sayin.

I'm doing a SS1000 in April and I think it will be on the bike for that one.

Cheers,

b

Regardless of 1 or 2, I swear I've gotten out of two speeding tickets when twice state troopers walked up to my bike after pulling me over and go "nice radar detector--guess it didn't go off in time..." Then I say, "oh, no officer, I don't have a radar detector. That just lets my wife and kids know where I am or in case I have an emergency...."

I was warned both times after (I believe) they felt like a dumbass for the false accusation!

I Would ideally like something like the spot connect, but also with buttons (at least SOS & Help) in case my phone is dead or broken and I need assistance. The Spot connect is really of limited use without a phone.

I'm surprised they haven't come out with a Spot 3 or Spot Connect 2 (or whatever) that combines the features of both.