Spray-on paint protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker

Reaction score
Last time we met, one of my riding buddies mentioned that there's a spray you can apply to your bike parts that will protect them from dirt and dings and can be peeled off when needed.
I looked into it and there are actually a few products out there that will do this: 3M Paint Defender, PlastiDip, ArmorAll Custom Shield and others.

Does anyone use any of the above? How do you like it?

I used the 3M Paint Defender system. I applied it to the top half of the luggage prior to my trip out west with the grandson (pictured at left). By the time we got home (~6000 miles) the bags were scuffed from boots and dirt. I cleaned them up like new with a light application of automotive wax. I left the coating on, since it is claimed it can last a year and then can be peeled off and reapplied. The aerosol can I purchased seemed like it would do this surface at least 3 times if it has enough shelf life. It cost $25 for the spray can, but if you also purchased the masking film and a can adapter there was a $20 rebate, end cost less than $15, well worth it. I had applied the 3M clear sheets to the ST1300 and they have been in place for 8 years with no discollaration and still protecting the bags very well. I considered spraying the nose of the bike, but it was a pretty complicated surface and I am sure I would get overspray everywhere I didn't want it. In summary, I like it, it worked great and would (will) do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try one of these on the bags and the trunk. I'm also thinking about applying a coat to the headlights.

I would suggest doing the bags first before the headlight. The coating goes on cloudy and as it cures it clears up. Use the included "wax" to make the surface slippery, I think this is to aid in removal operation later. Watch the video link included on the process, it's not hard. Keep the area you are working in clean (as dust free as possible), although if it gets dust specs on it, the coating is much thicker than paint and the dust seems to disappear into the coating. Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will let you know how it went once everything's on.

There's also a process call plastic dipping...kind of the new thing. Sprays on and then you peal off chrome etc. You can change the entire bikes color or protect all the paint. Might be cool to do on the lower half of the front fairing

There's also a process call plastic dipping...kind of the new thing. Sprays on and then you peal off chrome etc. You can change the entire bikes color or protect all the paint. Might be cool to do on the lower half of the front fairing
Yeah, I looked into Plasti Dip. Pretty good idea and very reasonably priced.

There's also ArmorAll Custom Shield, which seems to be re-branded PlastiDip. They have a $10 rebate offer on it at Pep Boys https://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials/coupons/armor_all_custom_shield_rebate_may13/

Yeah, I looked into Plasti Dip. Pretty good idea and very reasonably priced.

There's also ArmorAll Custom Shield, which seems to be re-branded PlastiDip. They have a $10 rebate offer on it at Pep Boys https://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials/coupons/armor_all_custom_shield_rebate_may13/
Yep sounds about right ....the satin colors look pretty cool too. The video's on You tube are pretty interesting. Still debating onm my lower fairing.

I looked into the 3M stuff. Not available in Canada. WTH?

Anyway, I had the 3M film on my 04 for a 100,000 miles and it definitely works. So I spent most of Friday applying the complete kit to my 13. What a huge PIA! All pieces applied except for the headlights (spent 90 minutes on one lens then said feck it) and mirror fronts. The nose piece for the 13 is one piece and looks just like a set of deer antlers. I ended up snipping that one in two, vertically, between the headlights. Oddly enough, I thought for sure that one would be getting tossed in the garbage, but to my surprise went on pretty easy.

Reminds me, I've got to email Tankslapper, didn't get the lower cowl piece in my kits (probably the most important piece!).

I put the 3M film on my car and parts of the bike. If you spray the area with Meguiar's quik detailer first, you can move the film around. Then squeegee the liquid out and it sticks. My car has had it for 5+ years now but at 95k, it is starting to look its age.

Top of the bags is a good idea, lots of boot landing strips there.

I ended up buying a can of clear ArmorAll Custom Shield, since it's 1) the same as PlastiDip and 2) clear PD wasn't available anywhere near me.

Covered top halves of both bags with 4 coats.

You have to wait until one coat dries before applying the next, so the whole process took about an hour and a half, out of which 15 minutes was used for taping/covering.

One thing to remember is - even though the coating is called "clear", it's still matte, so it's not like the 3M sheets.

I like the effect though and also the texture is nice. We'll see it holds up to my boot scrapes
smile.png

PREP

IMAG0733.jpg

FINAL PRODUCT

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0739.jpg

If it holds up well, I'm thinking of doing the bottom of the fairing in flat black.

Has anybody tried the Plasti-Dip on the tank? I'm interested in trying it on the lower rear section, where it seems to scratch if I look at it the wrong way.

'fooz

I used the new spray on 3M product all over my Harley Triglide.......need to put it on my bags on the FJR. Works fantastic. Easy to apply, does scuff when kicked with boots, have not had a chance to rewax it and try to get the scuffs off. Very good product. I will use it again and again. Of course I have no idea how hard it will be to remove. Its a little thinner than the standard 3M film but easier to apply. It goes on milky and dries clear, you can barely see that its on there, looks like you clear coated the paint.

I put the 3M Defender on my Boxster. The front slope of that nose was getting chipped bad. Worked great.

Make sure you shake the can well, I think that may be why some people get a matte finish instead of a glossy one.

There is no substitution for prep on this either. Clean, tapped off (everything) and make sure the floor is clean also or you may kick stuff up.

Plasti-Dip

PhotoSep19143828_zps1be25728.jpg

PhotoSep18170706_zps608936e1.jpg

I guess the all important question is; Does anyone have any experience removing this stuff after it has done its job for several years?

I guess the all important question is; Does anyone have any experience removing this stuff after it has done its job for several years?
Plasti-Dip will peel off. Been using it for years and never had any problems getting off. So long as you apply 4-5 coats as indicated on the can it works great.

If all you want to protect is the top of the side cases, has anyone tried just using tablet computer screen protectors? You can usually get these for $5-10 when they are on clearance for an older model.

Plasti-Dip will peel off. Been using it for years and never had any problems getting off. So long as you apply 4-5 coats as indicated on the can it works great.
3M Paint Defender peals right off. Looks like plastic wrap. If it got into groves you may have to work at it a little.