SS1000 or BB1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the SS1000 first. If you're trying to get IBA certified I don't believe they will accept a BB1500 as your first certification ride. Check the IBA site to be sure. I did an SS1000 a couple of years ago with 3 other riders and would not do that again. Differences in riding styles after many hours on the road can really push the envelope of friendship. I would however ride with 1 other rider to a) keep you on track 2) safety in numbers and, 3) hopefully keep you from doing something stupid. Just be sure that other rider and you share riding styles and a desire to return home safely. Have fun.
a BB1500 is the same pace as a SS1K with an extra 12 hours to do the additional 500 miles. It's not considered an extreme ride so tends to be fine for an entry-level ride. while it's possile to do a BB1500 without doing a SS1K (2 750 mile segments), if you set out with a SS1k pace with the idea of waiting to see if you're up to the addition 500 miles, you can always stop at 1000 for the cert or continue on if you feel up to it.

Another tip is pick your food stops wisely. Go to fast food joints, but eat healthy because we got delayed 45 mins for slow service at a sit down joint.
WTFO? It's only a day. Pack your Cliff Bars, water, and trail mix on the bike. Eat and drink on the fly. Stay hydrated. Stop only for fuel and combine bathroom breaks with the fuel stops.

Sit down meals while on the clock? NFW!

Last edited by a moderator: