Starcom1 Advance, Garmin nuvi 765T, Droid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE (chivvalry @ Jun 2 2010, 12:58 PM) I was hoping someone with a 765t could chime in and give me a thumbs up... If not then I will be reporting back on if this works in about a month as I am pretty sure the new Garmin 765t is coming for father's day.

The 765 definitely has an external mic jack located in the cradle. I've connected it to my Autocom via an isolator using 2 leads, 1 audio,1 mic. I have an iPhone paired to the nuvi and can send/receive calls thru the 765 and be heard just fine.

Hope this helps.
If I want to use my phone with the 765T and my Starcom Advance and want stereo music then I will need the MIC-02 and MUS-04 isolated leads, is this correct?

Dave
If you are asking for yourself, the correct isolation lead for a phone to GPS via Autocom, you need a Part 4066 isolation lead which provides an audio and microphone lead at one end, and 4-pole connector to the Autocom at the other. If you are using a Pro AVI unit rather than the Pro Automatic, you need Part 4009S to divide the lead at the Autocom between port 3 (audio) and Por1 1 or 4 (microphone). If you are using non-isolated leads and getting satisfactory results, I would stay with that since the 4066 costs nearly $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I want to use my phone with the 765T and my Starcom Advance and want stereo music then I will need the MIC-02 and MUS-04 isolated leads, is this correct?

Dave
Since I'm running my 765T through an Autocom, I couldn't tell you exactly which cables would be correct.
I am running a Starcom1 and I do have a 765T (as well as two other GPSes)and I did (already) tell him that the cables he needs are MIC-02 and MUS-04.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is correct. The 765T is very nearly functionally the same as a Zumo 660, except no waterproof and has no BT output.

Not sure what chivvalry didn't like about the wired Starcom1 (other than the wires), but we have been using ours for several years with very good performance.
Mostly the wires... the Sena SMH10 is completely wireless for me and works like a champ. I found I wouldn't use the Starcom because I had to wire up every time I jumped on the bike. With the Sena all I have to do is power it up and it automatically connects up.

I am running a Starcom1 and I do have a 765T (as well as two other GPSes)and I did (already) tell him that the cables he needs are MIC-02 and MUS-04.
Generally when someone quotes your post (which screwball did) it's often a question directed at you. I consider it good manners to respond to a question asked of me and provided the best answer I had.

Oh, and I have other GPSes too. :p

Generally when someone quotes your post (which screwball did) it's often a question directed at you. I consider it good manners to respond to a question asked of me and provided the best answer I had.

Thanks to BOTH of you for your replies.

Since I had already been using a non-isolated cable from the 765T to the Starcom for navigation instructions without any noise problems I just ordered the MIC-02 cable.

My brother and I are taking a trip to Asheville, NC Memorial Day weekend and since he doesn't have GMRS capability we thought we would stay in touch by cell phone. I could use his wife's Scala Rider since she isn't riding up with us but we've tried that before and I wasn't happy with the limited range.

Dave

Thanks to BOTH of you for your replies.

Since I had already been using a non-isolated cable from the 765T to the Starcom for navigation instructions without any noise problems I just ordered the MIC-02 cable.

My brother and I are taking a trip to Asheville, NC Memorial Day weekend and since he doesn't have GMRS capability we thought we would stay in touch by cell phone. I could use his wife's Scala Rider since she isn't riding up with us but we've tried that before and I wasn't happy with the limited range.

Dave
That is a good idea, using the isolated MIC cable, as the impedance of that cable is critical to turning off the internal microphone of the GPS. I have been able to use a non-isolated audio cable with no ill effect, but that will depend on how noisy your power feed is.

PS - Apologies to pmspaul. I didn't see that he quoted you, probably because that part of the thread was over a year old. ;)

Latest posts