stay alert friends

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UB2slo

Reaction score
Well how to start. I just had a great weeks vacation in Arkansas. Until.......my brother Grant nodded off on his fjr. Only going 40mph. In 30 mph curves close to jasper. 5 th day of the trip. Avg 275 mi a day through the twisties. 600 mi to get there. Just pushing to long to hard. We were 240 mi in for the day. When all hell rained down. He used a metal sign post to slow down. Shattering his hip. Moral of the story. Stay alert. Take breaks. Have fun. Not everyone can go as far as you.

Damn. Point made, I will certainly take heed to this warning.
waaa.gif

My thoughts as well wished to Grant, may his recovery be swift.

Man oh man! I'm sorry to hear of the accident. That area is a great area to ride, but you do have to stay on your toes. I've seen more than one bike in the guard rails. I hope my fellow Arkies took care of him.

I'm so sorry to read this... I've known a couple of riders that have had that very thing happen upon occasion. Not only do you have to keep your bike properly maintained but your body too. Sending healing energy Grant's way for a full recovery... just remind him to take care of himself while he heals and follow any therapy given... it really does make a difference!

Wow. Glad to hear it was not worse. Good reminder, pushing oneself can have detrimental effects. Be careful and prudent out there!

I've nodded off on the bike. I think twice ... I can only clearly remember one, where I woke up and wondered "how long was I out?"

Sorry to hear that...been very tired on a bike trip. Tried everything to stay awake while riding in a group...finally just pulled over and pulled the helmet off and got a drink. That was enough to wake me up and get back with the group...right near Yreka, CA.

Sorry to hear that. I think many of us have been there. I know I have a few times. 16 hrs. in the saddle 2 up at 70 MPH. Now the honey pinches me as soon as my helmet goes down.

Seriously,

All I can say is Coffee, STARBUCKS high test.

Dave

I recall, in days of yore, in the stretch between Barstow and Vegas, realizing that I was wandering from shoulder to shoulder on the Interstate. It was midmorning, but I'd had a late night in San Diego. Not inebriated, just in a state of severe fatigue. Pulled over to a rest stop and surrendered consciousness on a covered picnic table for a couple of hours. One of the better time investments I ever made.

I left Red River, NM, one morning headed for home in Little Rock. It should have been an easy day of about 900 miles, but I was coming down with a sore throat and not feeling that chipper. I really wanted to be home before I got really sick, but I dozed off going through OK City on I-40 at about 4:00pm. I hit the Botts dots when I drifted out of my lane, and that got my attention enough to pull off and get something to drink.

I was sitting there with my throat hurting drinking a Coke and started thinking if I was having trouble staying awake then it was stupid to try to continue 350 more miles home. So even though I could have been home by 9:00 or so, I grabbed a room and called my wife.

Probably one of my better decisions.

Sorry to hear about this. I hope Grant heals up OK.

I'll add my story here as well. I was once on a solo cross country trip and planned to stop in California, somewhere west of Death Valley. It was a nice evening crossing the desert and I kept going to the point that when I wanted to stop, there was no room at the inn. I had a tent and decided to continue to Death Valley and camp overnight. When I got there it was hot, Very hot. It was after dark, but I knew that I could not sleep in that heat. In fact it was uncomfortable just standing still in that heat. There was a full moon and a little car traffic, so I decided to continue through Death Valley and stop in Nevada.

Once I got up out of the valley back into the desert it cooled off a few degrees and I felt pretty good, so I decided to continue on to Vegas, and once there I still felt pretty good so I kept going into Utah. By then it was daylight and I had been riding for over 24 hours. This is when I made the stupid decision to continue across Utah to my next destination, only a few hours away. Although I had been drinking water as fast as I could, I think the poor decision was due in part to dehydration.

Anyway, as I was crossing Utah I had several episodes where my brain would switch off for a second or two. I think it's called a 'microsleep'. I shook it off each time and did whatever I could to stay awake. I finally did get to Arches, where I set up camp and slept a few hours in the heat of the day. But later, after resting and drinking a couple of gallons of water, I realized how lucky I was to get there without incident.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Last edited by a moderator:
Never have went to sleep before, but did use a gaurdrail to "slow down' once. Two broken ribs and collapsed a lung and kidney though. I went back to using the brakes after that.