Stock Seat Modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickf

Reaction score
I do not consider myself particularly short. I am 5' 9" with a 28.5" inseam. Maybe that is short. At any rate I was unable to flatfoot my '06 AE although I have no such problem with my other bike, a 1996 Honda CBR1000F. So I decided to modify the stock seat. I did buy a second stock seat (about $240) for long trips because I figured any result I achieved would be less comfortable on a long ride than the stock seat. I must have an iron butt because the stock seat on any bike has been OK for me. About two years ago I put in a one day leg from Atlanta, GA to Abilene, TX on the CBR and my butt held up. But I am tippy-toed on the FJR and I don't like that one bit.

There is a cooperative local auto/bike upholsterer who agreed to cut down the foam on the original seat, and I remove the plastic seat height adjuster that fits between the seat and the frame. He made three runs at it, removing foam each time. What I ended up with was a fairly uncomfortable seat that helped a little in touching the ground, but not enough. I realized that the remaining problem was that the seat was too wide in the area where your leg moves to the ground. Actually, the bike frame in that area is too high and too wide also, but there is nothing I can do about that. I did examine the seat pan and determined that I could cut a section from each side that would permit the foam to give way when I put my feet down, but would not be affected in the riding position. I also realized that excess foam had been removed from the center of the seat. I took the modified seat pan to the upholsterer and had him add back foam to the center section. What I ended up with is a seat that I can nearly flat foot in tennis shoes and definitely flat foot in boot as long as I am not wearing blue jeans. That can be a big factor. "Traditional Fit" jeans inhibit touching the ground. Normal fitting (looser) dress pants count for a lot.

Attached are seven photos. If I did this right, the description should be below the photos.

JeansStock_Seat-1copy.jpg

Image 1: Shows jeans and the stock seat.

JeansMod_Seat-2copy.jpg

Image 2: Shows jeans and the modified seat.

PantsStock_Seat-3copy.jpg

Image 3: Shows loose pants and the stock seat.

PantsMod_Seat-4copy.jpg

Image 4: Shows loose pants and the modified seat.

StockLandModRcopy-5.jpg

Image 5: The stock seat and plastic adjuster on left, modified seat on right.

UnderSide-6copy.jpg

Image 6: Underside view. I relocated the front rubber pads.

ModCloseUp-7copy.jpg

Image 7: Above is a closeup of the pan modification.

End result: The modified seat is quite comfortable now and I can flatfoot with loose pants and boots.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Dick,

Thanks for the great write-up. I'm in the same boat as you, inseam wise. Great pictures. Just one question. A little more detail about the cover material. What did he charge to recover it. It looks "nicer" than the OEM. Also, it probably breaths better now. :rolleyes:

Keep us informed as to the long-term effects of your seatectomy.

LC

Cover Material - Actually the upholsterer was able to reuse the stock material for the first three foam removal actions. Finally, when I asked him to add some back in the center section, he asked if I minded if he recovered it with new material. I said "sure", and he found some of the center "non-slip" material somewhere. Looks pretty much like stock. About as good but not better in my opinion.

Dick

Hey Dick,

that's some good info. Those of us that have this "issue" can benefit from it.

I made some adjustments to my VFR seat, which are kinda similar. One can also order a seat (Sargent and others) and ask for customizations, such as "lowering" and or "narrowing". Getting it right though isn't always easy.

If someone wanted to try what I did, the following pics show it to be pretty easy (again this is the VFR, as Dick has shown, the narrowing part doesnt look too easy on the feejer seat, but even a little will help those of us that need it).

seat.jpg

this shows the seat after using needle nose pliers to remove the staples underneath (only remove where you are going to need to shave the seat). Then using an everyday electric carving knife, remove the foam. It's a good idea not to change the seat angle from front to back, it's that way for a reason.

seat2.jpg

this is the seat now sanded with 100 grit sandpaper. One must sand lightly, or the foam will rip, so it is time consuming. Once done though, use an electric stapler to put the cover back on and yer good to go.

regards all,

jeansloose pants

gussetted jeans.
Try wearing proper protective pants. They might just save a lot of pain and hospitalisation WHEN you come off the hard way.

Mantra: Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall.

On the real topic, I've found my stock seat has mellowed in its 4000-odd mile life so that I can now flat-foot, when new I definitely couldn't (5'8, 31 inch inseam). Its foam must have compressed or softened to fit my parts, and it's much more comfortable now.

Dick, if your able to withstand the stock seat you are one of the lucky ones. Basically the stock seat foam is too soft as with 99% of all stock seats and is shaped incorrectlly. They do this because of one cost, and two on the showroom floor the seat feels better for a prospective customer. Best thing to do is purchase a Russell Daylong seat or Rick Meyer seat as they can design a seat to fit you wheather you do a ride in or communicate otherwise, or if you have access to a good upholstery man have a complete custom seat made. I took an upholstery class with my wife starting last year and am still in attendence and made my own and my new seat is so much more comfortable than stock that it is like night and day, very similar to a Russell. One trick you can do to your stock seat is cut out the middle of the seat, as much as possible, and install a firm base open cell piece of foam topped off with a closed cell memory type foam or pudgee foam and recover. A good upholsterer will not remove any part of the base of your seat. The FJR seat is really too narrow overall and you need a wider seating area in the rear (no pun intended), where the real support is needed. And if it's too narrow in the front that will put undue pressure on the family jewels where you don't want it. Really shape is more important than foam but when you combine the two you can't go wrong and no more hot spots to interupt the ride. Also, if you like to wear jeans when riding, Bhon Body Armor makes a set of under riding pants that are armored in the knees/shins, hips, thighs and tailbone. I have a set and they work great. The armor can't move around and they even make a pair for extreme hot weather. Take care, PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
TLC, The Learning Channel, has a new show on Monday nights.

Some of you should be interested as it's targeted JUST for you....

big.jpg

:p :p :p

DickF,

I had my seat modified by inserting a large size 3/4" thick gel pad directly on top of the base & shaving the foam off at the front to narrow it as much as possible there.

The foam was cut down to a flat surface within an inch of the base & a pocket was cut out of that to accept the gel & hold it in place. It feels much more comfortable than the stock seat & I have not had any problems with the gel getting hot in the sun.

dobias :glare:

Dickf,

I just wanted to check in and see how the seat mod is holding up.

Cheers,

Duc OT

Last edited by a moderator: