Stock seat mods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an airhawk which helped some and got me to further distances before I was uncomfortable. I had an old cushion in my car with the cutout for my tailbone that I got to thinking about one day. I cut it down to size to fit in my airhawk cover and gave it a shot... I can ride all day with no trouble now. I could care less what it looks like... it is comfy and says I like to ride. :p I will likely loom for a new cover and simply sell the airhawk.

I did some Google searches at one time and found some good info on shaping your stock seat. I considered it and figured that what I have now is lower risk and less costly (in part because I already have it).

The short answer is, yes. But it depends upon the experience of the upholstery shop.

The first owner of my FJR (Beemerdons) took it to an ancient craftsman who's been making custom motorcycle saddles since the 1950s. First time I rode her was on the way home - 420 miles with no discomfort at all.

Best of success with yours.

Thanks Aharper & bgross I have a friend that owns a upholstery shop. so i might give it a try . What do i have to lose. If it doesn't make me happy i'll probably buy after market any way.

If you have a staple gun and ain't afraid to mess around check out FJR Tech... several links to a couple of ideas..

A local upholstery shop did such a good job of my VeeStrom seat that I took my Gen 1 seat to them. The guy basically cut a big chunk out of the foam towards the rear of the seat and replaced it with blue high density foam, same stuff used on wheelchairs. It was a huge improvement but still didn't support my hips well. A used Corbin came up for sale at 'the right price' on the forum - hard as a rock, lots of hip support and I love it!

Like Bust says, don't be afraid to mess around with it. I watched the guy at the shop, it's not rocket science.

Al.

I, like many, found the stock seat pushed me too much into the tank. Undid the staples, took out my electric turkey carving knife, and went at it...removing a lot of the rear foam. Tucked the cover back over it -- cannot remember if I even redid the staples -- and then used an AirHawk on top. Love it! I moved it from my 2008 to my 2013 to keep using it.

>>Thread Hijack<<

...The first owner of my FJR (Beemerdons) took it to an ancient craftsman who's been making custom motorcycle saddles since the 1950s. First time I rode her was on the way home - 420 miles with no discomfort at all. Best of success with yours.
B', you B on Miss Lucy Liu? The 'beams have put some significant miles on Miss Lucy. Pillion loved the gel stuffed seat enough that we had a local shop, Superior Interiors stuff a stocker. They did a great job and Pillion loves the seat. Howsomever, after a day's worth of riding Miss Lucy, on the hot run from Prescott through the desert I had to flag down Skoot to take a butt break because the gel seat broke my butt. It was agony from there to Phoenix for me but Pillion was fine. We were going to have the older 'n dirt guy do seats for us but found the local shop is just as good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my 05 seat to Sargent Cycle in Jacksonville and had them put their Super Foam in the stock shape and cover. Much better as long as the shape of the stock seat is to your liking. Cheap too.

>>Thread Hijack<<
...The first owner of my FJR (Beemerdons) took it to an ancient craftsman who's been making custom motorcycle saddles since the 1950s. First time I rode her was on the way home - 420 miles with no discomfort at all. Best of success with yours.
B', you B on Miss Lucy Liu? The 'beams have put some significant miles on Miss Lucy. Pillion loved the gel stuffed seat enough that we had a local shop, Superior Interiors stuff a stocker. They did a great job and Pillion loves the seat. Howsomever, after a day's worth of riding Miss Lucy, on the hot run from Prescott through the desert I had to flag down Skoot to take a butt break because the gel seat broke my butt. It was agony from there to Phoenix for me but Pillion was fine. We were going to have the older 'n dirt guy do seats for us but found the local shop is just as good.
Yes, "the FJR formerly known as...".Yesterday's 6+ hour ride to NorCal was punctuated by fuel breaks that made the butt cheer. It's a better saddle than stock, but I don't think I'd attempt a 12+ hour ride without a serious upgrade.

Until the budget frees up funds for an RDL, the longer rides will be on the Hondapotamus.

The resident Pillion/CFO/bride's disability precludes rides on Lucille, so the rear seat will go unappreciated. Oh, bummer - solo on the FJR....

<<end thread hijack>>

Last edited by a moderator: