Stoltec Moto, LLC -- Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIDER007

Reaction score
Last month I decided to upgrade the suspension on my Super Tenere. The Tenere is over sprung in the forks with a dual rate spring that transitions from .86KG to 1.2KG right in the middle of the compression stroke that is most used during highway riding. The shock is under sprung with excessive compression damping. The end result actually works fairly good at low speeds on rough uneven pavement but gives a pretty harsh ride for general highway use. Last year the owner of Stoltec Moto, Nick Stolten, worked with Penske to develop a shock for the Super Tenere and offered a group buy to the Tenere forum. He also designed spring and valve kits for the forks which transformed the Tenere into the adventure touring bike it was meant to be.

I heard that he was offering a shock special during April so I gave him a call. We talked for several minutes about my size and riding style agreed on the shock (Penske 8983 with a 800 lb spring) and fork springs (.90 KG). I was planning to buy 1.0 KG fork springs but he said that the .90s would work better for me and I decided to follow his advice....which turned out to be very good. When we talked the first time, he was in New Orleans riding with a group on the way to the MotoGP in Austin, TX. However, he did not let his vacation delay my shock's delivery, he sent me a invoice and contacted Penske to start the process before race day. Penske's are made to the customer's specifications and it takes about 3 weeks before delivery. Nick was extremely good about keeping me informed and always responded within a couple of hours to any emails I sent him.

I installed the springs and shock yesterday and the results are very impressive. The harsh ride is gone and with a better seat I think the Tenere could be a very good sports touring bike. Its always been fun to ride in tight corners with elevation changes and its even better now. I got a great price, great product, and great customer service and highly recommend Nick for any suspension work....especially for anyone living close to his shop in Bangor, PA.....and I just found out today (5/18) that he is a new dealer for GPSuspension.

You can contact Nick at 610-888-1280

[email protected]

www.stoltecmoto.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received an email from Nick and he said that he recently became a dealer for GPSuspension.....so anyone living on the East coast has a closer option for the GP fork rebuild kit (and I will update the original post with this info).

Last edited by a moderator: