Storm Love Story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised you're not required to have an IFTA sticker. As to the tires, they will be my next set. My prize Mickey Roads are ok, but I still prefer the Avons.

As to the tires, they will be my next set. My prize Mickey Roads are ok, but I still prefer the Avons.
I mounted those Storms the night before departure, and was concerned that spending 3000 miles of largely highway/interstate work right off the bat would square off the rear tire prematurely, but that didn't prove to be the case.

Also.... toward the very end of the 3112 miles, during a particularly killer set of mountain twisties, I came upon some wet roads from a passing thundercell. This was the first time I've had the Avon Storms in the wet.... all my concerns were put to rest; this tire was sticking like glue no matter how far over I leaned the bike over. Very, VERY nice!
thumb.gif

Also.... toward the very end of the 3112 miles, during a particularly killer set of mountain twisties, I came upon some wet roads from a passing thundercell. This was the first time I've had the Avon Storms in the wet.... all my concerns were put to rest; this tire was sticking like glue no matter how far over I leaned the bike over. Very, VERY nice!
thumb.gif

I did the Lee Parks school in pissing, torrential rain on Storms and would agree they "stuck like glue". Also just did a track day on them with the scrapes on my knee pucks to show for it. Same thing. Great tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree on the Storms performance in a storm. :p We had some very hard rains on Sunday and I rode through them while testing my gear to see if it is still as waterproof as it used to be. The tires worked very well in hard rain with water pooling on the roads and cars slowing to 20 mph so they wouldn't hydroplane. The gear did not work as well. Guess I'll try some Nikwax this week. I don't really want to start carrying rain gear again.

So what were these roads you ran for 3K, what surfaces and what speeds? What do your call a twistie? The reason I'm asking is that I've been running Storms and the mileage doesn't look all that good and I have yet to find a tire that stuck like glue in the wet. Just like to have an idea so I can compare things. Don't take offense, but I haven't ridden with Warchild, so just because he loves the tires doesn't mean I will and 3000 on a trip doesn't tell you anything about how they were ridden.

So what were these roads you ran for 3K, what surfaces and what speeds?....
Way to dive into the deep end new guy! I hope you don't break your neck on the submerged rock. :blink:

Suffice it to say Warchild is a solo rider that mixes up Eastern Oregon mountain twisties and Nevada desert straights by wandering the Western states with long-distance enthusiasm....and verve.

...and it's pretty doubtful you will ever ride with Warchild. I got within a 1/2 mile once.....but had to back off to a more proper 2+ mile separation. To say he's a solo rider is a bit of understatement. ;)

So what were these roads you ran for 3K, what surfaces and what speeds?....
Way to dive into the deep end new guy! I hope you don't break your neck on the submerged rock. :blink:

Suffice it to say Warchild is a solo rider that mixes up Eastern Oregon mountain twisties and Nevada desert straights by wandering the Western states with long-distance enthusiasm....and verve.

...and it's pretty doubtful you will ever ride with Warchild. I got within a 1/2 mile once.....but had to back off to a more proper 2+ mile separation. To say he's a solo rider is a bit of understatement. ;)
Thanks for the comments, Ignacio. I live in the deep end :D No matter whether he rides alone or in a HD pack, I do believe my questions are valid. We may not have tall mountains like the Rockies in SE Ohio, but we do have RT147 out of Bellaire where I brake hard and accelerate hard. My Battleaxes bit the bullet in under 4K and it doesn't look like the Storms are going to do any better. I wasn't in an 80mph sweeper, but a series of 45mph turns in a moderate rain and I felt my rear slip and catch several times. That's rapid transitions not something you can setup and be super smooth. Like I said, I haven't found any tire that didn't slide like that.

So what were these roads you ran for 3K, what surfaces and what speeds? What do your call a twistie? The reason I'm asking is that I've been running Storms and the mileage doesn't look all that good and I have yet to find a tire that stuck like glue in the wet.
The reason this and pretty much all tire threads are found in the NEPRT forum is that no two people will ever have the identical experiences with a particular brand of tire. The reason is obvious enough: no two people have the identical riding styles, riding environment, throttle discipline, etc, etc, etc. Some are into heavy, late braking; some always pour on the heavy acceleration; others rarely touch their brakes and depend on engine braking and proper corner entry speed, etc, etc. Some may not have their suspension setup optimized to ensure the best performance under all conditions, etc, etc. Some like to ride 10/10's on the street, enter corners a little too hot, etc, etc. All of these things combined together to ensure no two riders have the identical impression of the same tire.

So it matters not what kind of treadlife mileage you're getting, versus what I am seeing, versus what anyone else may/may not be able to see. One simply reports their own experiences, and readers can absorb the information as they see fit based upon the knowledge the reader has of the individual making the comments. Since you're a relative newbie on the forum, you're at a slight disadvantage to do that.

To answer your question, it was pretty much every type of road imaginable. About 1000 miles was the I-5 Corridor. Another 1300 miles of it was two-lane secondary roads through the Desert West..... Death Valley, the Ranges and Basins of central/eastern Nevada, the High Desert of southeastern California, etc. The twisties consisted of the Pacific Coast Highway 1, and several hundred miles of the more awe-inspiring twisty roads in Oregon: Highway 395 from Burns to Pendleton. Anyone who is familiar with and has ridden the PCH or the northern half of 395 in Oregon, you know that some stretches of these roads have some fairly intense twisties. B)

Do I smell a dogpile or a grouphug.....they are so closely related sometimes I get confuzzled.

The reason this and pretty much all tire threads are found in the NEPRT forum is that no two people will ever have the identical experiences with a particular brand of tire. The reason is obvious enough: no two people have the identical riding styles, riding environment, throttle discipline, etc, etc, etc. Some are into heavy, late braking; some always pour on the heavy acceleration; others rarely touch their brakes and depend on engine braking and proper corner entry speed, etc, etc. Some may not have their suspension setup optimized to ensure the best performance under all conditions, etc, etc. Some like to ride 10/10's on the street, enter corners a little too hot, etc, etc. All of these things combined together to ensure no two riders have the identical impression of the same tire.
So it matters not what kind of treadlife mileage you're getting, versus what I am seeing, versus what anyone else may/may not be able to see. One simply reports their own experiences, and readers can absorb the information as they see fit based upon the knowledge the reader has of the individual making the comments. Since you're a relative newbie on the forum, you're at a slight disadvantage to do that.

To answer your question, it was pretty much every type of road imaginable. About 1000 miles was the I-5 Corridor. Another 1300 miles of it was two-lane secondary roads through the Desert West..... Death Valley, the Ranges and Basins of central/eastern Nevada, the High Desert of southeastern California, etc. The twisties consisted of the Pacific Coast Highway 1, and several hundred miles of the more awe-inspiring twisty roads in Oregon: Highway 395 from Burns to Pendleton. Anyone who is familiar with and has ridden the PCH or the northern half of 395 in Oregon, you know that some stretches of these roads have some fairly intense twisties. B)
I understand what you are saying and agree with most of it. Although being new as a registered member is true, I have lurked here for quite a while. Knowledge as a reader of these posts really doesn't mean much though. You have pretty much confirmed what I thought from the initial reading of this post. The Storms are great tires "for you", anyone who assumes that they are great tires for all or even most is basing that assumption on some less than solid evidence. I must submit that riding in Appalachians is very different than the NW or N. CA.

UPS guy should be arriving any moment with the new Mickey Roads to replace the ones on the Feejer now. They serve me well, but when this set wears out I'll try the Avon's. O! and welcome to the Forum Viking. Never mind odot, he's a crazy man.

Big thumbs up to the Storms who were nice in sticky while riding home today in a rainstorm. Had a tornado warning in the Northern part of the county and thought I could beat it home....missed making it home dry by oh, 10 miles or so but got to spend some quality time under the overpass with some Harley riders while we pulled on the raingear and dodged marble sized hail!

LtRearQtr.jpg

Has your homeland security people seen this bike? I mean you would get you butt shot at in Afganistan.

It's a MBIED! Motorcycle Bourne Improvised Explosive Device? Maybe a motorwackle molotov cocktail?