Storm Love Story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent an email to the Avon factory to ask why so many people are having difficulties with the new Storms, and what they intend to do about it.

Their response was, the internet does not protray the many happy owners only the unhappy ones. OK, Point taken.

But more importantly, he stated they have recently closed up their accept/reject tolerances on the Storms as to balance and out of round.

Sounds like that initiative may be paying off.

I also sent an email to Avon. As a long time user of Azaro tires I wasn't pleased with the mileage of the last two sets of Storms, so I let them know that I wasn't pleased with their "improvements". They sent the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Avon Tyres. We are working on a more reinforced version of the Storm specifically built for your bike and other large touring machines like it. These tires will feature additional material in the casing to help the tire run better in it's original uniformity while under heavier loads. By eliminating some of the flex and adding to the load carrying capacity the tire will run at a cooler temperature and will be more likely to reduce rapid and irregular wear. I don't know if the tread compound will be stiffened up at all but the changes to the stature of the tire should help them last longer. I apologize for your disappointment in our tires but in the motorcycle tire manufacturing world it is always a toss up between performance and mileage and while the Azaro was perfect for larger displacement bikes it may have been a little to stiff for smaller sport and sport touring machines that also wanted and extended life tire. If this new reinforced tire (which I am not sure when it will be ready) does not meet the needs of larger bike owners like your self maybe it would be a good idea to bring back the Azaro in those sizes as we still produce them in some other odd sizes anyway. Unfortunately we here in the states are not the manufacturer of Avon Tyres, we are just the importers and marketers for Avon Tyres and please confide in us that we do share all of this info with them in trying to satisfy all of our customers in every market.

Thank you for supporting Avon Tyres and ride safely.

--------------------

They certainly acknowledge that the results haven't been all good with our bike, but at least they are "working on it" Their comments about sidewall stiffness and heat build-up make me wonder if this could be the reason for differing results. And, I wonder if keeping the pressure in the 40-42 range might be significantly better than some who run in the 38-40 range.

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard conflicting reports on Avon storms depending who you listen to. I took a chance and bought a set last week. Don't have them mounted yet. The stock Metzlers still have tread, but at 6,000 miles they're cupped pretty bad. So nows the time to get spooning, since it's cold and snowy out.

Well, I jumped on a decent price for some PR2's so my next set wont be Avons but I cant say the Storms have not been that bad to me. 6500 miles and the front shows very even wear (no cupping like the Azaros did) and the rear looks to have another 3k or so left in it.

I'll withold final judgement until the tires come off but another set may be in my future depending on how the PR2's perform and what I end up getting out of my Storms.

Pics at 6500 miles. Mostly slab.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My first set of avons 45, 46 were grerat and got 10k from the rear. and could have gotten another 3-4 out of the front....

I run 42 front and rear all year long rain or shine. Have the storms like them but shorter tire life around 6-7 k

I need a set for the nafo in co. \?

What are some good choices I like mileage with performance???