Strange Issue...ABS Light Steady and Stumbling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Riding in to work tonight for my graveyard shift, I noticed the ABS light on steady when I stopped to scan my ID to get in. After I parked, I noticed that if I pulled in the front brake lever, the bike would start to stumble and likely would have stalled if I kept the lever pulled in. Release it and idle was back to normal. Anyone seen anything like this before?

That's a new one Charles. Did bike start okay? Loose battery terminal? Headlights dim? Do you have aux light(s) wired into stop light circuit causing low voltage? Shooting from the hip now...

At the Baker City Why Not event, a Tenere threw a ABS light for no apparent reason. Traced to a loose battery ground. Tightened terminal and problem went away.

~G

Ongoing discussion at the other sandbox. Possibly a bad battery but not yet confirmed as the root cause.

I agree that it is a strange set of circumstances.

I found the positive battery cable loose. Jumped the bike and it fired right up then promptly died before I could get my gear on. Bought a new battery and thought I was good. Then on the way into work tonight I ended up with a dead bike on the side of I-5. Must be a charging system issue. Time to do some reading on troubleshooting. Preliminary research says either the stator or R/R. Need to find how to test...

If you can get the bike started again Charles, check charging voltage. Should be well into the 13's. Also check both connectors at the R/R and take apart and reseat a couple times. Maybe get lucky and just dirty. Stators have gone TU but failures seem related to continuous heavy loads.

Good luck!

~G

I will do that for sure. In doing some reading, I placed an order for the Super Harness as it sounds like a good idea anyway. While waiting for delivery, I will try cleaning the connectors as you suggest. Thanks!

While into the connectors, use some CRC contact cleaner on all the pins and then pack with dielectric grease before buttoning up the connector).

I will do that for sure. In doing some reading, I placed an order for the Super Harness as it sounds like a good idea anyway. While waiting for delivery, I will try cleaning the connectors as you suggest. Thanks!
Hi friend
That sounds like a good plan! Cleaning connectors may frequently cure problems, and the Super Harness appears to be a handy addition. Best wishes, and I hope it improves your setup!freefire name

Well I put the original battery back in after a full charge. It shows 13.1 volts just sitting in the bike. Started the bike at it is showing 12.4 volts. Brought the engine up to 4K and still 12.4 volts. Removed the plug and reseated but no change.

Well I put the original battery back in after a full charge. It shows 13.1 volts just sitting in the bike. Started the bike at it is showing 12.4 volts. Brought the engine up to 4K and still 12.4 volts. Removed the plug and reseated but no change.
Definitely not charging. Some troubleshooting to do with voltmeter (and ohmmeter). Check your connectors first.

stator cable? if you are referring to the stator itself, just unbolt the phillips screw holding down the wiring loom and unbolt the the 3 torx bolts, that hold the stator in the cover. it should then lift out, replacement is reverse of disassembly.

That's the easy part. The hard part is getting the attached wiring from the rectifier fished out of the frame. And then the new wiring fished from the stator housing back to the rectifier.