Street Triple

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a Street Triple as a stable mate to my '07 FJR, for use on shorter rides, 'round town, and being more of a hooligan on occassion. By the same token, the Feejer obviously has some willingness to be frisky.

So, this is probably a dumb question, but leaving aside that the Street Triple is naked, from the standpoint of performance and handling, can anyone offer a comparison?

Thanks.

Not a comparison (Street Triples are pretty new) -- but, a comment:

You're small-ish in stature? or young in age? or both?

(Or, as Jay Leno asks some guests: "Single man are you...?")

Street Triples are refreshingly modern (a more modern design than the, dated, Speed Triple) -- put-on some hard luggage (Givi 35 L.) and a tank bag and post the FJR on C.L. :eek: :)

You're small-ish in stature? or young in age? or both?

(Or, as Jay Leno asks some guests: "Single man are you...?")
None of the above. But even at 6'3", sitting on one (yeah, I know, not the greatest way to test) it actually felt pretty comfortable.

Your other comment -- "put the FJR on C.L." -- gives me pause, tho'. Goal here isn't to supplant the Feejer, but to supplement. Sounds like there's a fair degree of overlap.

Hmm. Maybe that V-Strom sounds better. ;>)

A friend just bought one to replace his (drastically bone-stock) NT-650. It's a brilliant bike and has all the suspension and engine you'll need... He's 6'4" or maybe 5, and not skinny.

...Your other comment -- "put the FJR on C.L." -- gives me pause, tho'. Goal here isn't to supplant the Feejer, but to supplement. Sounds like there's a fair degree of overlap.Hmm. Maybe that V-Strom sounds better. ;>)
That comment was a little 'off the cuff '... :) :(

But, your V-Strom comment seems more along the lines of what I'd be thinking (altho, the wee-strom is about the same physical size as the man-strom -- and they can make, pretty good, touring bikes...).

The Street Triple, with over 100 HP and just about 400 lbs, would (probably?) be able to scratch your "Hooligan" itch...? :eek:

I think Dual-Sports (especiallially small-ish-to-mid-size ones) make fine stablemates to large Sport-Touring motorcycles, like the FJR -- they don't (often) interfere in the "which bike to ride today" decision... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Dual-Sports (especiallially small-ish-to-mid-size ones) make fine stablemates to large Sport-Touring motorcycles, like the FJR -- they don't (often) interfere in the "which bike to ride today" decision... ;)
Hmm. I am starting to agree. Which is why when I read the recent reviews of the newly revamped Triumph Tigers . . . ... . .. . . . .

Having ridden the Speed Triple (not the Street) and the Vstrom, I'd give the nod to the Triumph for sound, performance, and fun as long as you kept your off-pavement exursions to similar places as the FJR (lighter bike means a little deeper gravel).

I have my 2007 FJR and as of last year, a 2010 Street Triple R. The StripleR replaced my 2005 Triumph Sprint ST which I no longer used for touring as the FJR took over that role. The Sprint was at home on the track too and I used it for a few track days and "taste of racing" at our local track, something I wasn't inclined to do with the FJR. Not that it wouldn't be a kick in the ass, but that plastic is expensive if you go down!

I do long trips (Utah for World Superbike, Laguna for MotoGP, Canada, California, etc) and the FJR just eats up the pavement but also is fun in the twisty bits. Hard bags, heated gear set-up, custom saddle from Rich's in Washington, GPS, etc make it a great ride for the long trips.

However, the hooligan in me still needed something fun that the DR650 couldn't supply either. I will always be a Triumph owner. While the 1050 triple motor was awesome on the Sprint, I have found myself thoroughly enjoying the 675 triple. It's great for tearing up the curves around here and with the Triumph tail pack and a day pack, I can make a weekend out of it easily. Oh and if you can afford the extra $, go with the R model to get the Daytona forks, shock and brakes. Definitely worth it!

So in essence, the Street Triple R is great for this:

untitled.jpg

and the FJR is great for this:

untitled2.jpg

I too own an FJR and Street Triple.

I'm 5'11" tall and 175lbs, the Street fit's just right. I did change the seat to a Sargent though, the stock one pushed me into the tank too much.

I've taken long weekend trips on the Street, Deals Gap/The Dragon, is about 4hrs away from me and a destination for me several times a year. I added a fly screen to smooth the air coming off the front a bit and it helps, but anything above 85mph is a bit uncomfortable for long distance. For a weekend romp, I have a tail tank bag that handle the logistics easily without upsetting the bikes performace or balance.

For around town and commuting, it's a fun and great bike. The 675 delivers a very refined power curve you can enjoy at all levels of riding. My problem is, I can't keep my fist out of it. Twisting that throttle makes me grin every time - it'll pull the front tire in the first three gears in stock form, and the handeling is superb. Unlike the Speed Triple, which I found a little raw and edgy, I find the little Street hard hitting when you want, or smooth and silky if you're feeling relaxed.

I average 45mpg regardless of of riding style, and the looks are definately a cut above the average bike on the road. I'll take a run to the local coffee shop, park it where I can enjoy the view while sipping my beverage and always get some kind of compliment or admiring question.

Owning an FJR for the heavy work and long distance riding strikes a great balance for me, and I like having options for my riding preference.

Here's mine.

StreetTrpileFlyscreen3.jpg