Stripped Oil Pump Cover Bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no pressure in this space so you just need enough to seal it (and keep the bolts from backing out).  A dot of blue Loctite might help them from loosening although I haven't used it.  I bought a spare gasket for this cover for the first service I did on my '07.  A half dozen service cycles with the '07 and a couple with the 2011, I still haven't used the spare gasket!  

There is no pressure in this space so you just need enough to seal it (and keep the bolts from backing out).  A dot of blue Loctite might help them from loosening although I haven't used it.  I bought a spare gasket for this cover for the first service I did on my '07.  A half dozen service cycles with the '07 and a couple with the 2011, I still haven't used the spare gasket!  
Good advice...will forgo torquing and dab a bit of loctite on the bolts and lightly hand tighten. And yes, the gasket can last a long time, as long as they come off in one piece or don't get folded.

I'm not a Loctite fan. Learned years ago a dab of anti-sieze on threads fills the micro gap between M/F threads. Just don't over torque as torque specs are for dry fasteners.

My current trepidation is figuring out how to ensure I drill a straight hole for the tap. My thought is to progressively drill up the the needed hole size. Any advice would be welcome...

My current trepidation is figuring out how to ensure I drill a straight hole for the tap. I was told by a machinist to use an "L" bracket as a drill guide to keep the drill straight. Any other advice would be welcome...

Seems the chain tensioner  blade is damaged by the threads that let loose at a previous time - my assumption. 

To be on the safe side, I've decided to replace the tensioner blade. Starting a new topic on this...