Stuffing a Gen II FJR into a 99 Grand Caravan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John d

Reaction score
Anybody done it? Any tips?

I know somebody will ask, why would you put a perfectly good bike in a minivan? I'm picking up my new to me 08 in Chicago Monday and have to get it back home to Kitchener ON Canada, and I won't have plates.

I figure I'll need to remove the windshield, mirrors, maybe lower the bike on the fork tubes, let some air out of the front tire................

I was at a track day at Gratttan several years ago and a guy showed up with a CBR1000 in the back of a caravan, so I'd say it's possible. Probably not easy...but possible.

I think it's gonna be too long, and too tall, both. Even with the windshield off and handlbars removed. Rent a trailer if you have to, probably 20 or 30 bucks at your U-Haul.

I once had pics of a guy who stuffed a 750 Honda cruiser in the back of a Lumina.

Rollie once hauled a MotoGuzzi El Dorado home in the back of an old DeSoto (he bought at a roadside lot) -- he removed the back seat, tho...! :rolleyes:

Ha ha! We've been thru this a lot with Caravans and ATV & Dirt Bikes. Mostly...it never worked out.

There is no way the FJR will fit when rolling it up ramps, even with the sheild removed. And using ramps is about the only way to load a 640lb motorcycle. Now if you want to ruin your new motorcycle and load it on its side using 3 or 4 guys to lift and slide it in the back...you *might* have a shot! :eek:

I would plan on using a trailer if your serious about this bike. Or have someone drive you, and you ride back.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's a will there's a way :lol:

toyhauler1-1.jpg

Certainly the best option is to borrow or rent a trailer. "But" my guess is lengh of the caravan will accomidate the FJR, you might have to lower the bike some Yamaha lists the bikes height at 52.4 inches (133cm) and lengh at 88.2 inches (224cm). Getting the bike in, out and securing for transport would be my real concern.

"What if" you have to hard brake the Caravan? Will you have a 600lb bike trying to get out the windshield?

I would advise against trying to ride the bike up the ramp and into the van. Not only will the bike not fit height-wise, you might be decapitated.

I know somebody will ask, why would you put a perfectly good bike in a minivan? I'm picking up my new to me 08 in Chicago Monday and have to get it back home to Kitchener ON Canada, and I won't have plates.

I figure I'll need to remove the windshield, mirrors, maybe lower the bike on the fork tubes, let some air out of the front tire................

My question was why would you buy a Caravan..... :rolleyes:

My question was why would you buy a Caravan..... :rolleyes:
Well, we won't go there....but the Black Shadow in your avatar looks very nice!

Many long years ago, I brought my Greeves Anglian enduro/trials bike home in my brother's Corvair convertible. Freaked out the guys hangin' out at Randy's shop. Wish I had taken some photos.

pete