Stuttering problem, I'm at a loss (Update, Problem Fixed)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised that the FJR doesn't have a fuel filter. Has anyone looked at fitting a fuel injection type filter in the hose between the tank and the QD at the rail?

I am surprised that the FJR doesn't have a fuel filter. Has anyone looked at fitting a fuel injection type filter in the hose between the tank and the QD at the rail?
Well, it does have a fuel 'sock' over the fuel intake pipe in the gas tank.

The fuel pump does have a filter built into it(non-servicable). This pic is from a single line pump from an FZ6, similar to the first Gen FJR. I never had a gen II or III pump apart but I'm sure the filter is about the same..

Last edited by a moderator:
Injectors have a small insert at the top, its a very small screen.

Plastic part, in middle of hole.

Might be removable, carefully. If clogged to injector screen, you have an problem in the fuel tank. Bad dirty fuel getting past in tank filter, screen.

Fuel is bad these days. Ethanol is not a good additive. Sugar, from corn. Likes to attract water, gum things up. Keeps the farmers busy. We all pay for it, reduced fuel economy.

Gov't mandate. B/S.

Ethanol is good in your drink, not in your gas tank.

Happy you are bad riding with no issues...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here are the pictures of the Fuel injector cleaning set up.

1- You just squeeze the tire valve stem (with the valve core removed) over the end of the injector.

2- Connect the tube to a fresh can of Carb Cleaner

3- Connect the Injector prongs to the the injector.

4- Push the button and spray the Carb Cleaner.

(I start with putting the valve stem on the "Exit" spray end first to back flush first to clear gunk away from the screen. Then I turn it around to do the other end.)

I left the heat shrink tubing back far enough so that I can use the prongs on other injectors narrowing or spreading them.

Carl

Cool! I might have to make one of those and clean the injectors on my son's (my old) FJR w/ 100k miles on it. And I wonder what my Vstrom's injectors look like at 50k miles? I'm sure it couldn't hurt to clean them.

While troubleshooting my own stuttering problem I tried various homebrew methods of injector cleaning including many fuel elixers and a dip in my ultrasonic cleaner.

My attempts paled in comparision to having them professionally cleaned and the service typically includes new screens and seals.

Use the $$$ you save through Walmart oil and filters and do it right, send them out to a pro, you'll be glad you did.
punk.gif

Latest posts