Summer Heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRO

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm not as tough as I used to be. I used to love the heat, but last year, it started affecting me. It's in the 90's hereabouts, with 100% humidity. I'm using mesh gear (now), but Summer on the FJR is starting to kick my ass. Solutions?

Take the car. If you're concentrating on how miserable you are, you're not concentrating on riding.

Solutions?
The obvious? Don't ride? Here in VA I hang up my boots from about now thru the end of August/beginning of Sept. The humidity bothers me more that anything. I'd rather be in the A/c'd cage.

If it weren't so humid where you are, I'd suggest a cooling vest.... but they do not work well in high humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spare Gen I and then you'll appreciate how much improved, the Gen 2 bikes is for heat management.

I just finished running here at Quantico, 90 degress and 192.5% humidity.

Amen on Iggy's Gen I comment.

Get a spare Gen I and then you'll appreciate how much improved, the Gen 2 bikes is for heat management.
Oh man, I didn't even notice the cryer was on a Gen 2. Definitely, what Ig says.

Solutions?
The obvious? Don't ride? Here in VA I hang up my boots from about now thru the end of August/beginning of Sept. The humidity bothers me more that anything. I'd rather be in the A/c'd cage.

If it weren't so humid where you are, I'd suggest a cooling vest.... but they do not work well in high humidity.
I came back there last year in mid-July. Did the whole Civil War thing in VA and environs. One trip to DC. Stuck in beltway traffic from DC to Fredericksburg. I was homicidal by the time I got to my motel!

OMG! How do you people live in that stuff, let alone ride in it??

Buy a naked bike for hot summer riding. My Honda 919 is a big difference in temperature comfort for the summer heat.

Luvtoride...... How bout trading off bikes for a ride or two.... You'll be toast on the 05 :blink: and I'll be jelous at the end... :angry2:

Not that often does a solution come to my pea brain BUT I've got a really good feeling bout this one :lol:

Later

Rik

I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm not as tough as I used to be. I used to love the heat, but last year, it started affecting me. It's in the 90's hereabouts, with 100% humidity. I'm using mesh gear (now), but Summer on the FJR is starting to kick my ass. Solutions?
i put 150 miles on my '05 yetserday, 94 degrees and 99% humidity. It was brutal here on the gulfcoast.

keeping hydrated is a must!

i drank several glasses of H2O before the trip and drank several times thru the day, staying away from anything alcholic.

to beat the summer heat we like to do evening rides. just as the sun is setting, until 9:30/10:00 p.m. makes for a bearable ride.

cadman

Luvtoride...... How bout trading off bikes for a ride or two.... You'll be toast on the 05 :blink: and I'll be jelous at the end... :angry2: Not that often does a solution come to my pea brain BUT I've got a really good feeling bout this one :lol:

Later

Rik
Rik, you do realize that I ride a Gen 1 kitty cooker, already?

Granted, I have been told that the '05 was the hottest year. My thoughts on that? Well, it is painfully obvious... silver is a cooler color! :rolleyes:

Also, I am not complaining. I know my heat limitations & know how to deal with them... thus, no complaining about chestnuts roasting on an open fire... that is, if I had chestnuts.

PS... hydration is VERY important

Solutions?
The obvious? Don't ride? Here in VA I hang up my boots from about now thru the end of August/beginning of Sept. The humidity bothers me more that anything. I'd rather be in the A/C'd cage.

I came back there last year in mid-July. Did the whole Civil War thing in VA and environs. One trip to DC. Stuck in beltway traffic from DC to Fredericksburg. I was homicidal by the time I got to my motel!

OMG! How do you people live in that stuff, let alone ride in it??
Howdy looper of flies... generally, in answer to your question: stay inside a lot. On the upside... I ride year round (except August). There isn't much to "seasonal riding"

Recently, OhioFJR1300 & his lovely pillion came to Williamsburg, VA on vacation. I said to him "you're not bringing the 'Wing, are you? If so, you are CRAZY!" (He owns a wing & FJR)

He says, yeah, we're riding in on the 'Wing... it can't be THAT bad.

Ask him how he feels now B)

In all fairness, I warned him.