Tag-Along Aux Fuel Tank (joe2lmaker)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*if* the 1/4 doesn't adequately flow the main tank. I'll cross that bridge later, if the problem exists.
Don with 1/4" ID I had no problem with transfer speed on mine, ...but like you I'm going to attempt 5/16 this time around. In fact, I'm looking for an easy-snap connection that will accomodate 5/16" if you have anything in mind, or run across anything, please let me know. Currently with the 1/4 i've been using this(clicky) ....and don't laugh, it has really held up and worked well for many miles.

Good night RenoJohn-Boy!
Looks good Don ...I really like the way Joe incorporated the petcock into the design. groovy.
I am completely re-doing mine and look forward to sharing pictures etc. It's all powder coated now and installed on the old bike, incorporated 3storage options as well as flat design so it will be very versatile. I need to move it over to the new bike, but maybe I'll take some picturest first. Like you, juggling a lot of stuff.

keep us posted, looks pretty groovy.

...and good night to you Donnie
Reno - I originally ordered 5/16" quick disconnect from Sampson. I sent them an email yesterday asking to halt / change the order, no reply. I'll try calling mananna. Long of short, they have a nice 5/16 QD.

UPdate - I got my email in time to Sampson, they are sending the correct parts 1/4" inch parts.

Reno - KaitsDad mentioned he got his QD's from McMaster-Carr, something about a Vitron? o-ring that's gas resistant?

The next thing to look at was the cap ring. I couldn't figure out what the purpose was for this. Supposedly, it fits inside the tank. I think it might be for tanks with a bladder. I saw no need for it, and haven't used it.. unless I find out there is a good reason to.
I have an answer for you on the ring but first a couple of questions...Are the holes that hold the Jaz cap threaded on the tank or did you use nuts to secure the ring? If it is threaded in the tank (ie no nuts) no problems-you probably don't need the "C" interior ring. If they aren't threaded and you used nuts inside the tank, again no problem if you are going to use the flush mount cap and have access to the tighten the nuts.

I plan to use the Jaz 45 degree filler neck on the tank I have placed an order for....with that neck there is no way to get to the nuts as you have installed...so you put this ring in the tank first...cut like a "C" so you can bend/manipulate it to get inside the tank and then push the threaded studs up through the holes and sandwich the filler neck and gasket on to the top of the tank and tighten with nuts on the outside.

If the holes are threaded, you may be able to get away without using it but I think it would add support to the top of the tank, especially if you use a filler neck as I am planing to do.

Is there currently enough room to get the "C" ring into the tank and positioned properly for this use?

Corey Nuehring

Last edited by a moderator:
The next thing to look at was the cap ring. I couldn't figure out what the purpose was for this. Supposedly, it fits inside the tank. I think it might be for tanks with a bladder. I saw no need for it, and haven't used it.. unless I find out there is a good reason to.
I have an answer for you on the ring but first a couple of questions...Are the holes that hold the Jaz cap threaded on the tank or did you use nuts to secure the ring?
The holes are not threaded. Don has nuts (and I assume washers) on the inside.

Is there currently enough room to get the "C" ring into the tank and positioned properly for this use?
Yes, there is enough room, but the fit on the prototypes is too close. I had to play with it for a while when I was test fitting everything. I've updated the model/drawings so there will be more room (less fussy orientation).

Should I have let Don answer these questions?? :dntknw:

I have an answer for you on the ring but first a couple of questions...Are the holes that hold the Jaz cap threaded on the tank or did you use nuts to secure the ring?

Yes, there is enough room, but the fit on the prototypes is too close. I had to play with it for a while when I was test fitting everything. I've updated the model/drawings so there will be more room (less fussy orientation).

Just here to HELP....... :rolleyes:

B......

What Joe2lMaker said, Cory. Except my nuts don't yet have washers. Until I tested the configuration, didn't want to hassle with installing the washers and nylok nuts, so for now, it's just plain nuts. lol

Joe, you built these tanks, know them better than I, feel free respond. If I did something different, or think differently, I'll pipe up. :rolleyes:

Yes, there is enough room, but the fit on the prototypes is too close. I had to play with it for a while when I was test fitting everything. I've updated the model/drawings so there will be more room (less fussy orientation)..
Looking at the Jaz 345-251-03 filler neck https://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/345...roductId=747214 I think I would need the bolt pattern adjusted 30 degrees. I prefer to have the filler neck facing exactly 90 degrees to the right of the front of the bike (I typically fill on side stand). With the bolt pattern as it currently is, it looks like the filler neck would face 75 degrees (or 105 degrees) to the right from the front of the bike. It would be fine for filling up however I think it would interfere with the ease of the 2 bolt mounting and unmounting.

I would be willing to order the filler neck early to have that issue resolved. I don't think that would matter to anyone using the flush mount.

Corey

I think I would need the bolt pattern adjusted 30 degrees. I prefer to have the filler neck facing exactly 90 degrees to the right of the front of the bike (I typically fill on side stand).
I've gotta admit, that one caught me by surprise.

So today I rode with the tank full of *water* just to see how it affected handling. I'm very relieved that the additional weight produced minimal handling/concerning/braking issues. No sloshing feeling. I could tell the additional weight, it actually settled the rear suspension a bit when pushing hard in corners on 229, but I was pushing harder than what I honestly feel most peeps on this forum ride. (don't flame me, just sayin)

It was funny, once at work, decided to drain the tank so I could do a back to back comparison, weighted vs. unweighted so I opened the valve to drain the water out of the 'gas' tank. Did anyone say anything? Nope, not a darn word. I even watched from my office window as folks walked by, noticed, then kept on walking... :unsure:

So today I rode with the tank full of *water* just to see how it affected handling. I'm very relieved that the additional weight produced minimal handling/concerning/braking issues. No sloshing feeling. I could tell the additional weight, it actually settled the rear suspension a bit when pushing hard in corners on 229, but I was pushing harder than what I honestly feel most peeps on this forum ride. (don't flame me, just sayin)
It was funny, once at work, decided to drain the tank so I could do a back to back comparison, weighted vs. unweighted so I opened the valve to drain the water out of the 'gas' tank. Did anyone say anything? Nope, not a darn word. I even watched from my office window as folks walked by, noticed, then kept on walking... :unsure:
Maybe they had good enough senses that they didn't smell gas. Doubt it... :lol:

So today I rode with the tank full of *water* just to see how it affected handling.
Jesus Cristo!

Quit being such a FUCKING PUSSY. That's right, a FUCKING PUSSY!

Put some damned dead dinosaurs in the thing and go for a FUCKING RIDE. And not a Candy-Ass ride, but a REAL MAN'S ride.

Yo RenoJohn! You want to do me a favor and ride down to the Honderosa and slap some fucking testosterone into this girly-assed hippy?

Christ Carver, why don't you put a fucking dress on the next time you go for a ride. From now on, your girly-FJR ain't allowed within 100 yards of RJ or my FJRs. Otherwise, they'll be apt to bitch-slap yours. Kinda like a reverse restraining order. Don't want none of your feeble FJR DNA thinning down the rest of the studly bikes.

For crying out loud! I can't believe this!

:finger:

Yo RenoJohn! You want to do me a favor and ride down to the Honderosa and slap some fucking testosterone into this girly-assed hippy?
I know for damn sure he didn't get the water on the Hondarosa -as there ain't anything liquid form on the ranch but high octane moto-fuel, high octane beer and high octane whiskey. Trust me on that, I've still got the 3rd-degree scars, and that's not even taking into account the emotional scars left from a Hondarosa experience.

Skootie, like you, our faggy little friend has me shaking my head at times, .....but sometimes he surprises me. All along we thought this was a fuel cell, ....uhh, seems it's just a fancy hydration gizmo ....and while you and I expect to see the thing finished off with fancy disconnect fittings and such, ....Most likely well see the lines from this going to a Coors Light Tap mounted on the handle bars.

Which raises the next question: Donald, are you going to push that beer with CO2 or Nitrogen? ...nitrogen is more stable when going through various elevations.

Which raises the next question: Donald, are you going to push that beer with CO2 or Nitrogen? ...nitrogen is more stable when going through various elevations.

Thats funny. :lol:

So today I rode with the tank full of *water* just to see how it affected handling.
Jesus Cristo!

Quit being such a FUCKING PUSSY. That's right, a FUCKING PUSSY!

Put some damned dead dinosaurs in the thing and go for a FUCKING RIDE. And not a Candy-Ass ride, but a REAL MAN'S ride.

Christ Carver, why don't you put a fucking dress on the next time you go for a ride. From now on, your girly-FJR ain't allowed within 100 yards of RJ or my FJRs. Otherwise, they'll be apt to bitch-slap yours. Kinda like a reverse restraining order. Don't want none of your feeble FJR DNA thinning down the rest of the studly bikes.

For crying out loud! I can't believe this!

:finger:
Talk about a Fucking Pussy! Jeesh, you ain't man enough to ride to the Hondarosa yerself to apply an ass whipping? WhatsDaMattU, afraid some good Whiskey will unwad your panties? :lol:

I know for damn sure he didn't get the water on the Hondarosa -as there ain't anything liquid form on the ranch but high octane moto-fuel, high octane beer and high octane whiskey. Trust me on that, I've still got the 3rd-degree scars, and that's not even taking into account the emotional scars left from a Hondarosa experience.

Skootie, like you, our faggy little friend has me shaking my head at times, .....but sometimes he surprises me. All along we thought this was a fuel cell, ....uhh, seems it's just a fancy hydration gizmo ....and while you and I expect to see the thing finished off with fancy disconnect fittings and such, ....Most likely well see the lines from this going to a Coors Light Tap mounted on the handle bars.

At least you manned up and experienced the Hondarosa Reno. Unlike all bark no bite SkooterG who just talks about it.. and talks some more about it, then gets really wound up and talks even more...
Silly kids, I just couldn't wait to see how the additional weight would affect handling when aggressively cornering. So in the water went! I'm still waiting on parts....

Oh, and Reno, does 'smoke on the water' mean anything to you? :rofl: It has water, it has air space, it has tubes....

Damn, I can hardly wait for the next CBA Convention - my bet is SkooterG folds after the 2nd round - any takers?

Per a forum members succinct advice, I've drained the tank of water as water is corrosive to aluminum. Then sprayed it down with carb cleaner and silicone spray. My Tag-Along tank is the cleanest of clean!

Hoping for parts to be delivered today!

Per a forum members succinct advice, I've drained the tank of water as water is corrosive to aluminum. Then sprayed it down with carb cleaner and silicone spray. My Tag-Along tank is the cleanest of clean!
Hoping for parts to be delivered today!
the oxygentated fuel we get stuck with now-a-days probably has more water in it that the garden hose variety you put in the first time.
good fun you're sharing don. Don't forget to lay the bike on it's side and burp the lines after the first fill-up.

Don,

I'm updating the model and the orientation of the drain is on the list.

I spent some time with mine this afternoon and this is what I came up with:

DSC05158-1_chopped%20up%201.JPG

Or:

DSC05158-1_chopped%20up%202.JPG

OR:

DSC05158-1_chopped%20up%203.JPG

The third option looks the least complicated, but it will get in the way of being able to snag the front seat release (for those of us with long fingers).

What do you think?

Not sure if this is an option, but on my Sampson, I think the drain is the same as the valve... Lemme go look. The battery might be dead in my camera, but I'll try to take a pic. Hang on...

Yeah, here it is

IMG00151.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality, I just used the cell phone. But you can see how it is done... Not that you HAVE to do it this way, but if it's possible, it might simplify things.

Sorry also for the late in the game input...