tank bag and back seat bag recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorSSJ

Reaction score
I have a 2013 FJR and I am seeking recommendations for a tank bag for touring and for a waterproof bag for my back seat.

For the tank bag I'm thinking of a magnetic one that also has a clear top for map or cell phone use.

For the back seat bag I'm wanting a large waterproof one that will hold my tent and other camping gear and one that also has multiple tie down points and a full length opening.

Can anyone give me suggestions as to what works well for them?

My bike does have a Shad trunk.

Thanks!

I like magnetic tank bags ! Just wipe the underside of the bag every time you place it on the bike. The magnets can pick up metal splinters (and other such items) that can scratch

the tank. I have around 8 tank bags I use for different purposes. For touring, I would recommend a full size, expandable tank bag.

The features that I like are: Full size plastic window

Side compartments

Front compartment

Rain cover

I like to be well organized on the compartments. For example; the left side compartment is for eyes (Sunglasses, reading glasses and eye drops)

The right side has quarters (Fit nicely into a mini M&M plastic tube), Vitamins, chapstick… The front pocket has my Camera and pain killers (Aleve)

The main compartment has food, Spare gloves in ziplock bag, shield cleaner spray wrapped in the cloth I use, rain cover, flash light and other ride

specific items. The map case usually has cheat sheets and maps in case the GPS fails.

I also spray the tank bag with waterproofing spray.

I do not have any advice for a rear seat bag, that space is taken by my Aux. Tank.

Wolfman tail bag. I love mine! Pricey, but worth every penny.

https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/expedition-dry-duffel-medium

EX804_Expedition_Dry_Duffel_Med_b_1024x1024.jpg

Not a drop of water intrusion...

20150701_165456_tonemapped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the Givi tank lock system. They have a variety of tank bags that work with a mounting system that allows for push button removal

Givi sells the bracket that attaches to the tank separately, but I am uncertain whether or not they sell the portion that attaches to the bag; I doubt it. I may have one I took off a friend's new Givi bag so I could mount the bag on a BMW RT mounting plate. I don't recall whether or not I kept it or gave it to my friend; I'll check. If I do it can be yours for the cost of postage.

I got really lucky and stumbled across a First Gear Silverstone II tank bag at a flea market, brand new. At $30.00 I practically stole it! Installed a Powerlet electrification kit and have power inside the bag for charging devices on the fly. Nice large clear map pocket on top, three outside pockets. I've had it for a few years and if it ever wears out I don't know how I'd replace it. I see them advertised sometime so there may still be some floating around the interwebs if you look.

I'll second the givi suggestion. If you can track down a cheap used one, the ring can be removed and installed onto any bag you choose. That's what I plan to do with mine.

I have a couple of dry bags that I got from REI on sale, dirt cheap - like $40 each iirc. They don't have tie-down locations, but they are easily secured to the rear seat or over the saddle bags with straps or bungees.

I got really lucky and stumbled across a First Gear Silverstone II tank bag at a flea market, brand new. At $30.00 I practically stole it! Installed a Powerlet electrification kit and have power inside the bag for charging devices on the fly. Nice large clear map pocket on top, three outside pockets. I've had it for a few years and if it ever wears out I don't know how I'd replace it. I see them advertised sometime so there may still be some floating around the interwebs if you look.
The First Gear Silverstone stuff matches the silver FJR really well. Looks like they were made for them.

I have the Silverstone mini tank bag. I use it often. I also have a silverstone tank bag but hardly every use it. I find for day rides my Corbin smuggler holds all I need. Then for longer trips I need a large dry bag.

The Silverstone mini tank bag has the clear window like the OP wanted. It is not waterproof, but has a rain cover that works well.

I use a couple of Tourmaster tank bags that the wife sewed rubber mesh onto the bottom so I won't scratch the tank and a medium Motofizz seat bag for hauling camping gear etc.

Medium Motofizz bag for my seat bag. Not waterproof, but comes with a rain cover.
I have one of those as well and really like the way it fits on the passenger seat but the rain cover is a joke. Way too big and the only way to keep it on is to try and tuck the excess in under the bag and then wrap it with multiple ROK straps in all directions--not real convenient when you have to quickly cover up. I cannot understand why a first class outfit like Rider Wearhouse would not make decent rain covers that actually fit their Motofizz line.

I had a Motofizz and liked it a lot. Bought it through Aerostich who appears to have imported it from Japan somewhere. Those who have one can probably share the laugh they've had when looking at the bag instructions for the first time.

I thought MotoFizz was Aerostitch?
Rider Wearhouse is the company that sells Aerostitch and Motofizz products along with a bizzillion other motorcycle accessories. They have a really cool mail order catalog.
Hmmm....looks like they've dropped the Rider Wearhouse name and now just go by Aerostitch.