Tank Bags Magnetic vs Strap Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure trying to lock a fabric tank bag is much of an issue. Anyone with a knife can get to it.
Think about it -- you'll be contributing to a more equitable re-distribution of the (general) wealth.... :huh: :unsure: :rolleyes:

I try to discourage theft with little cables & lock, etc -- but, ultimately, you're right. :(

I'm not sure trying to lock a fabric tank bag is much of an issue. Anyone with a knife can get to it.
Think about it -- you'll be contributing to a more equitable re-distribution of the (general) wealth.... :huh: :unsure: :rolleyes:

I try to discourage theft with little cables & lock, etc -- but, ultimately, you're right. :(

I have always felt that the only truly effective security system is “An Honest Heavily Armed Guard”. Anything less is pretty much a false sense of security for a somewhat talented thief that is determined. (id est…. “somewhat talented thief” = one equipped with appropriate precision tools …. such as a sledge hammer, crow bar, etc…)

Cable systems and small locking systems only cut down on (discourage) the easy opportunist score.

Update:

I received the Twisted Throttle / SW-Motech stuff today but there was a small problem. Some stupid striper (dumb bass) ordered the wrong base ring for the FJR. (That would be me.)

I called Twisted Throttle and it's all being taken care of. Good people to deal with.

Saran wrap works too with magnetics. It's just thick enough to protect and thin enough to not interfere with the magnetic attraction.
I've looked at the Big Mak. Interesting, but the web site really sucks. Anybody have any reasonable pics of the product and the mount?
Stormrider's post got me to the BigMak and I agree with you.... suckie website. Looks like a good idea, but they are rather proud of their products..... (easy $300 by the time you buy the big bag, the rain cover and a couple other accessories) I am like you, I would like to see some more pictures and get more info on the bag itself.

I also looked at the Tank Locker, but didn’t look like something that would suit my needs.

Definitely lots of good tips for magnetic units; id est: use, maintenance, substrata products, etc…..

From the postings, is appears that there is not a lot of support for strap mounted.

I am definitely down to deciding between the BigMak (provided I can find some good photos and additional information) and a magnetic…..

asj113 said:
Saran wrap works too with magnetics. It's just thick enough to protect and thin enough to not interfere with the magnetic attraction.
I've looked at the Big Mak. Interesting, but the web site really sucks. Anybody have any reasonable pics of the product and the mount?
Stormrider's post got me to the BigMak and I agree with you.... suckie website. Looks like a good idea, but they are rather proud of their products..... (easy $300 by the time you buy the big bag, the rain cover and a couple other accessories) I am like you, I would like to see some more pictures and get more info on the bag itself.

I also looked at the Tank Locker, but didn’t look like something that would suit my needs.

Definitely lots of good tips for magnetic units; id est: use, maintenance, substrata products, etc…..

From the postings, is appears that there is not a lot of support for strap mounted.

I am definitely down to deciding between the BigMak (provided I can find some good photos and additional information) and a magnetic…..

Magnetic is the type I have decided to purchase…… NOW to sort out the tons of various manufacturers and styles.

Anyone had any non-positive experiences with a particular brand not standing up well to UV or faulty zippers or other product failures?

I now have a strap-on 21 liter Cortech for a long ride. (I currently use a small Nelson-Rigg magnetic for day trips.) I'm concerned about scratches (never had one on a magnetic). What about some painters tape at the wear points when on a long-term ride with the strap on bag? And any tips on how to handle fill-ups with a big tank bag? Also mentoned was lateral movemnet in winds with a strap-on bag. Anybody else find this an issue? TIA

I figured I'd research a little more. Seems you can buy a magnetic base for the Cortech to replace the strap-on base the bag zips onto, and vice versa. Nice feature if you have more than one ride and one has a steel tank and the other plastic. You could use it on both by changing bases and zipper the bag on the base.........

I think I'm going to buy the magnetic base as I am used to magnoetic bags and I think the ease of use trumps the straps...

YMMV

Both of my current rides have steel tanks, but I doubt I would ever use it on the other bike…. The convenience of have a bag that can go magnetic to strap does have some appeal….. who know what I might have in a couple of years…..

Thanks for the heads up on the dual base system

I have both types for my Cortech. I use the strapdown when I mount the bag behind me as a tailpack and the mag mount if I use it on the tank.

Be aware that since the mega-mondo TriBag is out of production, baseplates will be in short supply eventually. If you're thinking about doing this, do it soon.

I hope to have my purchase figured out and ordered by the end of this month. That monster TriBag might be larger than I want.

+’s and –‘s ….. why is nothing ever as simple as it seem??????

I have both types for my Cortech. I use the strapdown when I mount the bag behind me as a tailpack and the mag mount if I use it on the tank.
Be aware that since the mega-mondo TriBag is out of production, baseplates will be in short supply eventually. If you're thinking about doing this, do it soon.
I'm trying to figure out which is the correct one now for my 21 liter bag.

You have a PM with a pic.

<snip>+’s and –‘s ….. why is nothing ever as simple as it seem??????
Why..? 'Cause it's important -- unless you want to (like I've done) buy many not-right tankbags?

Bigger has been better than smaller for me -- especially on a bike like the FJR with such a nice big gas-tank for it to sit on. Too wide, tho, can be a bad thing -- h/bars always bumping into the tank bag when parking/slow manuevering, etc. and the horn blowing or?.

Still, although you might not get "The Perfect Tankbag" the first time (you're certainly doing good research... B) ) -- you will have acquired good 'data points'. ;)

Why..? 'Cause it's important -- unless you want to (like I've done) buy many not-right tankbags?

Bigger has been better than smaller for me -- especially on a bike like the FJR with such a nice big gas-tank for it to sit on. Too wide, tho, can be a bad thing -- h/bars always bumping into the tank bag when parking/slow manuevering, etc. and the horn blowing or?.

Still, although you might not get "The Perfect Tankbag" the first time (you're certainly doing good research... B) ) -- you will have acquired good 'data points'. ;)
That's completely correct. My article has 5 bags and I own them all. I recall owning at least 3 more previously that I've either sold or given away to riders in need. "Perfect" changes with time, application, and motorcycle configuration. One could almost add "Tankbags" to the oil and tire threads. :lol: (Except there have been no irrational arguments in this thread.)

Miscellaneous data points:

• I've never had a strap-on blow off the bike. I have had a magnetic get loose from a large gust of wind.
  • Dirt will eventually get under the strap on base and work like rubbing compound on your paint finish. Regular removal and cleaning is a must.
  • No matter what type bag is used, any dirt, debris, etc. between it and the tank and your paint is toast. The magnetics I've had seem to pick up more crap. If you have a garage where you also do metal work (drilling, grinding, welding, etc.) keep in mind that your magnets will attract all manor of crap from this environment.
  • I have had magnetics erase my credit cards and other magnetic data. Needless to say, keep your wallet and your magnetic far apart.
  • Magnetics sure are convienent.
  • Once I put clear film down on the tank top to protect the finish from a magnetic. 66,000 miles later the area under the film looked like new, the rest of the tank, not so good. There was a very noticable shadow where the film was.
Not exactly an answer to 'which is best', but it should give you something to think about.

That's completely correct. My article has 5 bags and I own them all. I recall owning at least 3 more previously that I've either sold or given away to riders in need. "Perfect" changes with time, application, and motorcycle configuration. One could almost add "Tankbags" to the oil and tire threads. :lol: (Except there have been no irrational arguments in this thread.)
While I will be pleasantly surprised if I get it perfectly right on the first try, I do want to get at least close on my first attempt and of course not damage the bike. I am off to the valley [PDX] this week so I hope to be able to check a few out up close and personal. {One of the problems of living in the sticks in central Oregon…. Not much on the shelve over here to compare}

And as for no irrational arguments in this thread….. is that like a record for this forum????

I have gotten a TON of good tips and useful information from so many different members; as well as a lot of personal preferences. Hopefully someone else has found this discussion helpful as well.

After more research and help from Andre (thanks), there are two bases for the Cortech 21 liter bag. This is a popular version of their luggage so I thought it may help another member down the road --

There are TWO versions of the 21 liter bases -- a regular zip and a big zip. Each of the two versions comes in a strap and magnetic iteration. After emails, I received this from Tour Master (Cortech):

"Dear Michael,

Thank you for your interest in Tourmaster.com. The mounting bases for your

bag are interchangeable from strap mount to magnetic and vice versa.

However, the big zip bases are for the older luggage pieces and have larger

zipper teeth attached. If your luggage is a year or older and the teeth on

the zipper are chunky, that is the model you are needing. If the teeth are

smaller in size and the bag is fairly new, you will need the regular base.

Thank you for taking the time out to contact us and I wish you a wonderful

day!"

Which is somewhat helpful. Hope I ordered the right one.......

The Cortech 21 liter is definitely on my short list…..

Thanks for the additional info about the DUAL bases. Andre’s input and photos has been extremely helpful as well.

Two words;

Nelson-Rigg

Lifetime warranty.

The silver-streak series looks great on a silver, blue, black or dark cherry...

From the web site:

• Top quality UV-treated Tri-Max® ballistic nylon • Fully nylon lined interior

• Highly reflective webbing • Maintain their shape even when empty

• Adjustable shoulder strap • Fail safe heavy-duty zippers with pull fobs

• Protective material or pad to hold the bag firm without slipping or marking bike

• 100% waterproof rain cover • Lifetime “No Hassle” warranty

Two words;
Nelson-Rigg

Lifetime warranty.

The silver-streak series looks great on a silver, blue, black or dark cherry...

From the web site:

• Top quality UV-treated Tri-Max® ballistic nylon • Fully nylon lined interior

• Highly reflective webbing • Maintain their shape even when empty

• Adjustable shoulder strap • Fail safe heavy-duty zippers with pull fobs

• Protective material or pad to hold the bag firm without slipping or marking bike

• 100% waterproof rain cover • Lifetime “No Hassle” warranty

I have two Nelson-Rigg bags. One a small magnetic I got on sale that I use when I commute. The other I bought for my cruiser (since gone) that wraps around a sissy bar and holds a ton -- enough for a weekend easily. It JUST fits on the feejer with a Garauld backrest. A forum member (don't remember who right now) mentioned the weight might be too much on the rear subframe as some have cracked. So now when I use it I still strap it to the backrest but swing it around and rest it on the passenger seat. Quality on both bags is first rate and after two years and four years respectively, both look and function great with no malfunctions. One knit is the rain covers are stiff and the side small pockets are hard to access with the small zipper areas. But I count on them. They compare favorably with the Corech IMO.