TANK BAGS!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLOWBACK

Reaction score
Ordering stuff for the 05 FJR that is on the way.Thought I would go with the Tour Master Tri Bag Tank Bag. Never owned a tank bag in my whole life. What works best on the FJR, magnetic or strap-on? Or a different brand alltogether?

I'd definitely go magnetic, a strap on is a pain to work with in comparison. The cortech bag is a nice piece, I have one. I don't think you can actually use the top and bottom bags together, they're just too big. You can see a review here Sport-Touring.net.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's just something about telling people I purchased a strap-on that would make me nervous... :clown2:

Seriously, go magnetic or suction cups. There are some nice products out there. Check out www.t-bags.com

You might also consider the K-Drive tank cover and attachable bag. I like the tank cover because it's easier to grip the tank with my legs and I find myself leaning forward less and putting less weight on my hands when riding. The tank bag attaches to the tank cover with 3 straps. Works for me B)

I got mine from John Bunton [email protected] K-Drive

I bought the one from this place whenI bought the '05 as it is designed for the FJR gas tank (They have lots of nice things for the FJR, and are a major player in WFO-5). I had a Tourmaster magnetic on the '04 which would go on any of the 3 bikes I had in the garage at the time.

Recently got one of the Cortech mangnetics -- looks and works great. Have to confess that I have NO experience with anything "strap on"...... :dance: Jay

My first tank bag on a bike ever - Cortech - Magnetic. I take care to make sure the bottom side of the magnets are clean before putting on the tank. Work great, holds well, no sliding. Expandible with undoing a zipper. Even comes with a little shower cap in case it rains. No complaints after 10k

Thanks for all the input. I think I have it narrowed down to a couple of choices.

Thanks Again,

Flowback

Have yamaha magnetic tank bag on the fjr. I am like an old lady with a purse. Now I cannot seem to ride without it. My vstrom has a magnetic/strap on. Much more cumbersome when fueling.

My first tank bag on a bike ever - Cortech - Magnetic. I take care to make sure the bottom side of the magnets are clean before putting on the tank. Work great, holds well, no sliding. Expandible with undoing a zipper. Even comes with a little shower cap in case it rains. No complaints after 10k
+1

Do not for get the tank protector and the top for your gas cap protection when fueling. Me I use a " MAG KNIGHT" magnetic protectors. They will save you a paint job for your tank. Have not had any problems been on a 4000 mile trip never moved stayed put. Also a magnetic tank bag is the way to go .

Ask your self this question, why do I want to take off and put on my strap-on ?

It would be rather bothersome don't you think ? :haha:

weekend rider

Cortech super mini magnetic.

works great

save the Strap on stuff for the professionals.

Man this is almost like picking a MOTOR OIL.

But we probably shouldn't go there!

I opted for the TourMaster mag. mount.

Thanks for all the response,

Flowback

Nelson Rigg MG-950 magnetic bag here.

I have the Tankslapper top-of-tank protector and, additionally, I got some extra Tankslapper material and put it in place where the magnets touch the tank.