Tankbag - handlebar clearance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack D

Reaction score
I have read many tankbag posts but have not seen anyone mention clearance to the handlebars. It seems that the FJR needs a tankbag that is narrower in the front than it is in the rear. Has anyone found such a bag? In all the checking have done I have never seen a top view of a tank bag or seen dimensions for width except maximum width.

Hi Jack D -

I am running the Bags-Connection "Engage" model from Twisted-Throttle. https://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-engage-evo-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

DSC00010_zpsfe9a0a42.jpg

No clearance issues at all. I just today installed a MV Motorrad Riser, moving the bars back about 40 MM closer to me. https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/nocache/Yamaha+FJR+1300+2006+up+to+2013+MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate,nc1372828161.htm

Now I get a "bit" of interference at full lock - I'm not going to worry about it.

In two days I am off to Gettysburg, (from Indy), and I have a large Cortech which will be expanded to the max. I have already checked it out for fit and it seems to have the same amount of clearance as my old Connie did. I had my g/f stitch the aero paint saver mesh so we wont be scratching the tank. Could it be a little smaller? Sure but we will do most of our aggressive riding after we get there so I don't envision a problem.

I just bought and installed the Bags Connection bag myself. The electrified mount is the same as the older style mount that Kamal is using. The non-electrified mount has been changed and they don't interchange with each other. I liked the idea of having power inside the tankbag to charge cell phones, or my Sena headsets.

David Foley, is the new mount different than kamal's mount.?
I have and like the same bag as kamal.
Yes. Kamal's mount is the original type. Mine is the EVO type - it's black in color. The bag has also changed somewhat. The EVO Engage bag has a lower profile and is smaller. Unfortunately, EVO bags are not compatible with the original type mounts.

A picture of the mount.

DSC00020_zps6f81fc1f.jpg

One of the best features to me of the Bags Connection tank bags is that the mount on the underside of the bag itself is not already attached. You as the end user must mount it to the bag after deciding at what exact point you wish it to be installed. On the FJR this means you have some adjustment fore and aft to mount it up in the position that works best for you. I put mine on and fidgeted back and forth with it until it cleared the hand controls to my satisfaction.

I've got the old stylebig@ss FJR tankbag. I was concerned when I bought it about handlebar interference when riding...but I have been in some pretty tight stuff and nary a concern.

There was a 5:30am small motel parking lot issue when leaving where the bag hit the horn button at full steering lock...but I'm sure the guests didn't mind the 135 dB wakeup call.

oops.

:D

My bag only interferes in parking-lot-type maneuvering. I've learned to keep my thumb on the kill switch to keep it from getting tripped by the bag. During riding, no worries at all. I've not encountered a situation where I needed full handlebar lock at anything over 5 miles per hour.......

David the link you have listed for your bag does not list the FJR as a compatible bike?? Hmmmm

Hi Jack D -
I am running the Bags-Connection "Engage" model from Twisted-Throttle. https://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-engage-evo-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

DSC00010_zpsfe9a0a42.jpg

No clearance issues at all. I just today installed a MV Motorrad Riser, moving the bars back about 40 MM closer to me. https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/nocache/Yamaha+FJR+1300+2006+up+to+2013+MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate,nc1372828161.htm

Now I get a "bit" of interference at full lock - I'm not going to worry about it.

I have a Firstgear Laguna with the GPS pocket and such. Big bag and does touch the handlebars at lock. Worth it for long trips though, the GPS pouch is pretty nice.

I am unhappy with any button interference by the tank bag (with my previous bag it was the horn that sounded every time I backed my bike out of the garage, etc.). To me there's just nothing that says "rookie" like accidentally sounding your horn! That said, I suppose accidentally killing the engine might do it too.
uhoh.gif
I just received my new SW Motech City bag with electrified tank ring and will install this evening. Quality looks top-notch. The bag is quite a bit smaller than some (and very narrow in the front) but I think it is big enough for my purposes (to augment the almost 120L of capacity in my side and top cases and to carryn cell phone, SPOT, etc.) and I'm 99% sure there will be no full-lock interference. I'll update here if I'm wrong.

I was looking for just such a tank bag. I originally thought that since I mostly wanted it to contain electronic goodies that I could live with a very small bag, and got the SW Motech / Bags Connection "Daypack". I love the EVO tank ring connection and the fact that the bag is semi-rigid and stays in shape even when empty.

100_3906.jpg

100_3883.jpg

But, after living with that one for about a year I decided to supersize the Bags Connection up to their City EVO bag. It is narrower at the front, which makes it so it doesn't foul on the handlebar switch gear even with Heli Risers on the bars, but has plenty of room inside for electronic / electrical gear and still carry a mess of other stuff, including a good sized camera (which is what prompted the upgrade). Crackberry cell phone is just sitting on the top of the RD in this pic ( I was uploading tapatalk pictures for a TOR this morning)

100_4049.jpg

I got some extra lower tank rings for my V-strom and my son's VFR and can now swap the City back and forth between the FJR and 'strom and give the Daypack to my son for the VFR where it is more at home size wise.

100_4038.jpg

In these pics you can see that I've also mounted a RAM magnetic "Power Plate" for the radar detector on the lids of the two Bags Connection bags. Having the RD on top of the bag is perfect. The wire runs are shorter and when it rains I can cover both the bag and RD with the bag rain cover. It is causing some light sagging on my City bag, but I'll re-enforce that with some semi rigid plastic material soon and eliminate that little foible soon enough.

The Bags Connection stuff isn't cheap, but I like them enough to recommend spending the extra coin on them. And that means a lot coming from a tight wad frugal Yankee guy like myself.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator: