Tariffs and Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Don't go all political on this thread, gents and gent-ettes.

Got to thinking.. Tariffs coming.

Should one be stocking up on tires right NOW before inevitable price increases?

Just Wondering..

Last edited by a moderator:
yes. no. maybe.

that should pretty much cover all the potential answers that are not political. You're welcome, Don.

Now to make some popcorn and start an over/under pool about how many posts this will go before a lock down. The wild card is that you put it in "off topic discussion," so a lot of leeway is possible (for discussion of burro sex, sheep vs. goats, etc.) and may push this toward the over.

Dunlops are made in the US, no? If I have that right it will be good for their sales of Road Smart IIIs.

Supply and demand. If the price of an imported product increases, the price of the domestically produced version will increase in approximate proportion. Just look at oil, steel and many other products. Global economy.

Doesn't matter where the tire is made. Tarifs are on several things the tire is made from also. Rubber compounds, cords, belts etc. How many things say assembled is US. but are made somewhere else.

Read a new car sticker. Assembled in US. Engine in Japan, Trans somewhere else. Global market for parts. Honda cars are good for this window sticker shows what major parts are from where.

If you stock up on tires, how many will you use before age causes them to deteriorate? I prefer fresh sticky tires.
If you stock up on tires, how many will you use before age causes them YOU to deteriorate? I prefer fresh sticky tires.
FIFY
I think the issue/question of tariffs may change with the winds....
Even if tariffs commence, there's no way to know how long they will be imposed. Taking your comments together, therefore: if your aging self installs stale (tariff fear) tires when there is no longer a tariff price on fresh tires, you will have also lost the interest you failed to accrue if you'd hoarded the money instead.

Tariffs are gonna go up and down. They might not even happen. One of my suppliers of magnets sent a letter 3 months ago about the expected increse in rubberized magnets with chinese rubber in them. Would have been a 27% increase. Got a letter from them 2 weeks ago, their stuff is in a loophole due to the way the mandate was written, so no increase there. My aluminum and steel prices have gone up quite a bit tho. I buy a lot more steel and alu then I do buy magnets.

Tires, how many miles do you ride?? I wore out the new rear on the fjr this summer. 8360 miles. Not enough to make me want to stock up on tires.

YMMV

Da Wolf

If you stock up on tires, how many will you use before age causes them to deteriorate? I prefer fresh sticky tires.
If you stock up on tires, how many will you use before age causes them YOU to deteriorate? I prefer fresh sticky tires.
FIFY
I think the issue/question of tariffs may change with the winds....
Even if tariffs commence, there's no way to know how long they will be imposed. Taking your comments together, therefore: if your aging self installs stale (tariff fear) tires when there is no longer a tariff price on fresh tires, you will have also lost the interest you failed to accrue if you'd hoarded the money instead.

LOL, you sound like my accountant. !

Ya know what an accountant uses for birth control?........................

His personality.

And if you ask an accountant what his handicap is, he will say, a short dick and bad breath.

LOL that you picked up on that. I used to get accountants' end of year opinion letters for HOAs about liabilities, assets, etc. There was one sheet of it that took no position on anything, literally said nothing, but that satisfied some reporting requirement. There's the model.
uhoh.gif