Tech Day VII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bust,

I made it home safe. Had a great time and it was nice to put faces to some names.

About 40 minutes after I left I saw an FJR headed south on 127 I wonder if he was heading your way.

Who put the dollar bill on my pillow while I was sleeping? You guys are all so generous.

Good having ya Kirk. Still fiddling with Andys bike as the new Tstat housing has decided it doesn't want to mate with the opposing surface.

I think one of the dogs gave ya that buck.
tonguesmiley.gif

Tech Day VII in Photos

Tom & Kirk making sure they had a comfortable seat for viewing the festivities. Not sure who they were looking at passed out on the floor....

DSC_0002-L.jpg

We told Andy this will all go a lot better if you just sit over there....

DSC_0003-L.jpg

Ray is double checking the "Aa Found" valve clearances on Andy's bike....

DSC_0001-L.jpg

We had to change 7 out of the 8 intake shims and 3 exhaust shims.

Actually no sheep were harmed regardless of what the sign says....

DSC_0005-L.jpg

At this stage the only tools the Andy had picked up were a knife and fork....

DSC_0009-L.jpg

Mike had come to Tech Day to change wheel bearings but found some issues.....

DSC_0008-L.jpg

Ray had to get involved as we tried to figure out what had happened to cause all the wear on some of the spacers and bushings.....

DSC_0010-L.jpg

The needle bearing on the drive side of the rear wheel had disintegrated and all that was left was the outer race. The only way we were able to remove it was to cut the outer race with a dremel tool and then pry it out since were was not enough of a shoulder left to remove it with a drift punch. This is what was left of the needle bearing once we had it removed....

DSC_0012-L.jpg

Mike did not have a new bushing but Bust & Mike improvised and got the bushing smooth enough to work so that Mike would be able to get the bike home. One disaster averted but had the rest of us wanting to pull our own rear wheel apart to check out the needle bearing and add some extra lube.

The reason Wayne is so happy is that neither Bust or Andy did any work on Wayne's bike. That and the fact that it was Wayne's birthday and he can now get Senior's discount at Walmart.....

DSC_0013-L.jpg

We ask that all participants put on protective headgear whenever Andy gets near a toolbox....

DSC_0015-L.jpg

We finished up the valve checks on Andy's bike but things started going south when we fired up the bike. Wayne has a video posted up of FJR Riders that has Ray shaking his head in disgust and me just walking away as we let the steam out of Andy's bike.....

Funeral Services for Andy's Gen I

It started with the o-ring that seals the thermostat housing to the coolant pipe not seating properly. We were able to fix that fairly easily but then after burping the cooling system and pressurizing the system we found that there was a leak at the joint between the old half of the thermostat housing and the new section that required replacement due to a broken casing that we had come across last time we did valve checks back in 2011.

Ray was able to remove the housing without having to completely take everything apart and we had to use some gasket maker between the two halves to stop the leak. The rubber seal on the thermostat should have stopped this from leaking and there is no gasket but apparently the surfaces between the old section and the new part were not a perfect match even though we took care to make sure the surfaces were clean.

Ray was not about the let Andy's bike get the best of him and with some help from the rest of us we finally were able to get Andy's bike functioning properly. Andy had ordered a car tire and I brought along the tire changer so we were able to get the Exalto mounted up on the back and a new PR2 mounted up front but it was dark when we finally got everything buttoned up and finally called an end to Tech Day.

Many thanks to Miss Bust and to Bust for being the gracious hosts for what turned out to be an eventful Tech Day that went a little long but in the end was another successful outing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Home safe about an hour ago. Got a bit wet in the beginning and at the end, but the rest of the ride "over the top" was fantaastic.

What a great day at Bust's place. Many thanks to the wonderful hostess and host. You folks always make my ride out there well worth the effort. Great bunch of good folks to visit, joke and wrench on bikes with.

As for my wheel, I was glad I had discovered what we did while there rather than at my place. I knew that with Ray n Bill there, I didn't have much too worry about. Quite a bit of FJR info storied up in their noggins; even if one of them was wearing a helmet with a pointy thing on top.

Thanks to all again for everything.

Waynes choice of music was impeccable eh?

Glad to see you made it home ok Mike, I figured ya would but have been kinda restless until I read this.

I'll have a few more pics tomorrow ans a bit more commentary, but right now I'm just too tired to post 'em.

I enjoy the hell outa having everyone every time folks. And like Ginger the little dog I end up wandering around missing you all when it's over.

I'd do it every weekend if it was feasible.

Waynes choice of music was impeccable eh?
Glad to see you made it home ok Mike, I figured ya would but have been kinda restless until I read this.

I'll have a few more pics tomorrow ans a bit more commentary, but right now I'm just too tired to post 'em.

I enjoy the hell outa having everyone every time folks. And like Ginger the little dog I end up wandering around missing you all when it's over.

I'd do it every weekend if it was feasible.
+1 :)

I am truly sorry I missed it again, although I think there was enough wrenching going on without my bike, so it's probably for the best. However, I really do need a valve check come spring time...

Andy Is the guy you need to talk to Mike. find an open date an pay him to accept it!

Beware of those damned Kanadians though

I always try to keep one hand on a beer at all times instead of a wench!
From what I observed you were quite successful in trying to keep one hand on a beer at all times.

We made Andy so nervous about whether his bike would survive Tech Day he was barely drinking. I was successful at one point in getting you out of your supervisory role when I asked you to put down your beer and help remount Andy's tire. You seemed annoyed I would make such a suggestion. Oh that's right, you had to put down your beer. Yea, that would annoy me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing Taps while the steam came out was 'extreme'..... but as always we miracle workers managed to rescue the bike from the jaws of defeat and there was a difference in Andy's altitude this time around. And no bookcases were harmed. Still waiting for him to check in so we know he didn't crash and burn from having that big chunk of new rubber on the back. Mike, thanks for your generous compliments but you had a pretty good handle on the task at hand yourself and collective wisdom is what tech days are all about. Your bearing escapade was certainly an eye-opener, even though it's probably a rare thing. Preventative maintenance for everybody should now include making sure that needle bearing is properly inspected and lubed at every tire change. Tom is always there to be the voice of reason, but we have to get him better trained to fetch us another beer when ours evaporate. Thanks to Bust and MizBust and Sooze for putting up with all of us and keeping us fed and entertained. Looking forward to the next one............

Nice choice of music, Wayne. And Tony - I found that to be funny as hell. 'Cause the bike got me home safe and sound.

Yeah, I was a tad out of it on Saturday but it wasn't all because of the bike being cantankerous. Got some other things going on, but it'll all work out.

HUGE thanks to Bill and Ray - I know Saturday was a long, frustrating day. Words cannot convey my gratitude.

Additional thanks to Sheila and Bust, Wayne, Tom, and to Mike for assistance with the tires and brake arm thingamabob.