Tech Spec Pads on 2014 Red

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the tank side protectors.....I had them on my 2008 for a couple of years and transferred them to the 2014. The 2008 had no residue left on it, and they are working well on the 2014 so far. I would buy again for sure.

Slowshifter, I email Mellisa today about your issue and she responded that all you need to do is contact her and she will send you out a new set with the aggressive adhesive on them. Hope this helps.

How the frack do you get the side-case pads to lay flat? I spent hours in the garage tonight trying to get the pads to lay flat without wrinkles. I followed the instructions precisely, heated the surface up etc. I guess at the end of the day, I'd rather have a scuff on my pannier than a wrinkled up piece of rubber on there.

I would love some suggestions on how to do it right.

<<snip>>I would love some suggestions on how to do it right.
Installed mine [the first time] after leaving them in the sun for 30 minutes or so. Begin at the "top" so you get a straight line at the saddlebag edge and evenly work your way downward over the entire length.

I even took them off my '09 bags and installed on my new [to me] '15. A little heat is your friend.

Good luck!

--G

How the frack do you get the side-case pads to lay flat? I spent hours in the garage tonight trying to get the pads to lay flat without wrinkles. I followed the instructions precisely, heated the surface up etc. I guess at the end of the day, I'd rather have a scuff on my pannier than a wrinkled up piece of rubber on there.
I would love some suggestions on how to do it right.
It you are installing the High Fusion protectors you can get them on flat, no gaps, no bubbles, but you have to work for it. Most importantly the bags and especially the bag protectors need to be warm hot and an extra set of hands really helps. Once the protectors are separated from the backing they become much more pliable. Peel and start at the top center. Work along the top edge of the bag and then move down from there. Don't firmly press in place as you work so the protector can be pulled up and repositioned. Patience, yet work while the proctors are hot.

I sent the following pictures to Melissa showing the issues and she helped me with a battle plan.

TecSpec%201b_zpsebskul6v.jpg

TecSpec%205b_zpsqtwlsxsy.jpg

TecSpec%203b_zpsvm9hplxe.jpg

TecSpec%204b_zpspnlve1np.jpg

In spite of the above issues we were able to work everything flat and adjusted properly. We had an unusually sunny warm day and used the sun to heat the bags until they were quite warm and the protectors almost too hot to touch.

I believe that TechSpec is going to go back and review their product for the FJR. Melissa sez: Thank you for your email and helping us create a better product! Unfortunately, I haven't had a dry or warm enough day to take pictures of the successfully installed protectors.

I have no idea what kind of a short circuit causes Bill Lumburg to think that adding topic tags like brewers yeast and holograph to his posts are either cutesy or helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ion, I faced exactly the same issues as you describe. I heated up both the pad and the pannier, but perhaps not hot enough. I was attempting to install the high fusion ones. I would be very interested to see yours successfully installed.

Heat and patience. I have the snake skin version, and they stuck perfectly the first time. I would suggest using a dry erase marker to mark an outline and then checking to be sure they are even. Once installed, wipe the line off.

The bags don't have to be warm, the pads have to be warm so they are pliable. Start with the top, center and work your way right and left, and down. No wrinkles or bumps. Patience is important.

Not sure I like the look, but I think I'll warm to it and am sure I'll love having padding for my knees again.

I sent the following pictures to Melissa showing the issues and she helped me with a battle plan.

TecSpec%205b_zpsqtwlsxsy.jpg

TecSpec%203b_zpsvm9hplxe.jpg

Wait, what!!! How did I miss this before?

Professor ionbeam is putting Tech Spec pads on what appears to be a new bike here. Time to come out of the closet and fess up to having joined the world of ass fault gray 3rd Gen owners.

Oh and better update your bike model(s) in your profile too, ya slacker!

Last edited by a moderator: