Techwest 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I wanted to clarify about this Techwest meet:Is it FJR only? I wondered about doing a weekend ride with a buddy of mine who rides a BMW towards the Wallowa's some when in May; if it works out Prosser would be a great stop enroute, but I wonder if my buddy would be bored out of his mind if all the bike stuff is going to be only FJR related?
Given this is a dealer event, and they sell more than Yamaha, I'm guessing the content is not limited solely to FJR stuff. :)

Besides, think how happy WE'D be if you brought a friend on a BMW for us to , ah... "chat" with... *target*

I guess I wanted to clarify about this Techwest meet:Is it FJR only? I wondered about doing a weekend ride with a buddy of mine who rides a BMW towards the Wallowa's some when in May; if it works out Prosser would be a great stop enroute, but I wonder if my buddy would be bored out of his mind if all the bike stuff is going to be only FJR related?
Chris-- having been to a couple of these, the information will be slanted toward the FJR, but there will also be a lot of other tips to pick up just from talking to folks. Your friend won't be bored and besides...he'll be around us all day ;)

--G

Given this is a dealer event, and they sell more than Yamaha, I'm guessing the content is not limited solely to FJR stuff. :)
Besides, think how happy WE'D be if you brought a friend on a BMW for us to , ah... "chat" with... *target*
Yeah, it just wasn't quite clear to me from the original wording if this event was meant solely for FJR owners or if it's meant for other folks as well.

On "chatting" with the "target", uh ahem maybe oh well...should be fun.... :lol: B) He has a R1200R, I think it's actually a very nice and light weight machine, but it's definitely for folks that don't mind having absolutely no weather protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it just wasn't quite clear to me from the original wording if this event was meant solely for FJR owners or if it's meant for other folks as well.

On "chatting" with the "target", uh ahem maybe oh well...should be fun.... :lol: B) He has a R1200R, I think it's actually a very nice and light weight machine, but it's definitely for folks that don't mind having absolutely no weather protection.
Nice bike he's got there! It would be nice to have him along. :)

Here's hoping the weather is really nice for the event, too, if he's light on weather protection.

I cant make the Auburn tech gathering even though it sounds like fun.

Still sick from last weeks ride. (Actually picked up the bug at work before the ride)

I've been hoping to start exploring WA, Prosser might be a great destination.

Any recomended (twisty) routes from PDX would be welcome.

If it wasn't this early in the year, the east side of St. Helens is always a fun ride coming in 503 from Cougar. :blink:

If I were coming from Portland > take SR14 down the gorge to Klickitat River Rd (SR142) and Goldendale. Then Goldendale > Bickleton > Mabton and into Prosser. Rinse...repeat. :D The route from SR14 > Goldendale > Mabton runs through canyons and has tight twisties and fast sweepers.

--G

I second that motion - ummm route!

Steve

If it wasn't this early in the year, the east side of St. Helens is always a fun ride coming in 503 from Cougar. :blink:

If I were coming from Portland > take SR14 down the gorge to Klickitat River Rd (SR142) and Goldendale. Then Goldendale > Bickleton > Mabton and into Prosser. Rinse...repeat. :D The route from SR14 > Goldendale > Mabton runs through canyons and has tight twisties and fast sweepers.

--G

I realize this comment might not help but can we squeeze them for a date? It's now a bit more than a month away and some need as much lead time as possible.

Thanks

I realize this comment might not help but can we squeeze them for a date? It's now a bit more than a month away and some need as much lead time as possible.
Thanks
It's not like we have an official rep form this forum speaking with them. If folks want to squeeze them on a date, I suggest picking up the phone and letting them know there's interest and that folks want a date.

My last call netted no new info as I was told they were still waiting on the person who runs the day to commit to a date.

If folks want this to happen, and want a date, do what I did - grab the rap-rod and drop them a line. :D

I just spoke with Glen and he says as far as he knows Dan hasn't set the date yet. I've asked him to either have Dan or himself get back to me with a date so those wishing to attend can get their schedules set. If I don't hear back today I'll start to hound them a bit to get this nailed down.

I have not heard anything, but then again, I don't really expect them to call me with a heads up either way. ;)

I think I may be over this at this point. :( I mean, the timing was looking great with the original dates, and now with the passes open (so far) the time would seem to be upon us. That said, allowing warning time for folks to plan, it's going to be a couple weeks away at least (my guess), and who knows.

I say I'm over it right now, but I'm sure if the timing works, I'll go... ;)

Hey, thanks for the effort. Sometimes getting people (organizers of anything) to move and set date(s) is rather difficult. Many times there isn't enough recognition that many people have to make plans well in advance and can't be as spontaneous as others. I know you appreciate this and it can be lost on others as I stated above.

I know this dealership is very supportive of the group and I don't want to generalize them because I have no information on why they didn't follow through and set a date. Everything I've heard is good and I look forward to stopping by sometime.

Thanks again.

I have not heard anything, but then again, I don't really expect them to call me with a heads up either way. ;)
I think I may be over this at this point. :( I mean, the timing was looking great with the original dates, and now with the passes open (so far) the time would seem to be upon us. That said, allowing warning time for folks to plan, it's going to be a couple weeks away at least (my guess), and who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thanks for the effort. Sometimes getting people (organizers of anything) to move and set date(s) is rather difficult. Many times there isn't enough recognition that many people have to make plans well in advance and can't be as spontaneous as others. I know you appreciate this and it can be lost on others as I stated above.
I know this dealership is very supportive of the group and I don't want to generalize them because I have no information on why they didn't follow through and set a date. Everything I've heard is good and I look forward to stopping by sometime.

Thanks again.

Just want to +1 your sentiments. I have only ever heard good about them, and setting up an event is no small undertaking.

I just called (Saturday, May 15, 2010) Desert Valley Powersports to set an appointment to have my FJR serviced and Mike, in service, said he was not aware when there will be a Techwest this year. While I am there on the 21st of May I will report any findings I may gather while there. I will seek consule with the rock wall.

bikerschim

Fourty One = The number of degrees exteriorly upon my 05:00 departure to the location of the unknown Power Tech event.

Minus Thirty! = Estimated degrees most of the route using complex mathmatical "algorythems" considering rise in elevation, increase moisture content, average air speed, number of layers of insulating material worn, lack of electrical or chemical heating devices, time exposed to previoulsly mentioned conditions, etc.

Two = Number of hours required to rewarm this rider following extended exposure to above conditions. :dead:

One = Number of Service Managers named Mike at said destination with whom I discussed Power Tech event occurance.

Two = Number of Parts and Accessories sales enthusists named Glen and Paul with whom I discussed Power Tech event occurance.

100 = Percent of unanimous conclusion regarding the time of the occurance, and in some cases that it will occur at all.

Unknown = Date and time of the Power Tech event. :dntknw:

Stay Tuned = For any further updates from others closer to the source for such information for this event.

One = Number of Throttle Position Sensors already replaced on my 2003 FJR.

One = Number of Throttle Position Sensors needing to be replaced on my 2003 FJR. After being very well tuned by Mike at Desert Valley Powersports :yahoo: I noticed the same tell tail symptoms on my ride home after being on the road for about 30 to 40 minutes (Too numb on morning ride). Time enought for the engine and TPS to get up to operatilng temperature. The cut outs and surges were the same as the first TPS failure back in - when was it '05 or '06. :(

Zero = Apparent changes and improvements Yamaha made to the Throttle Position Sensors to prevent early failures. Although the stock number for the TPS (Item #20 on the "Intake 2" page of the Yamaha OEM parts page) has been changed from 5PS-85885-01 to 3P6-85885-00-00 so maybe the 3P6-85885-00-00 is New and Improved! I hope so, the buggers are getting more expensive, more than doubling in price since I last replaced it. Cypress, are you hearing this? :clapping:

Yes = Answer to question: "Did you get the original recall notice about the TPS?"

2 = Aproximate years I received the original recall notice about the TPS AFTER I diagnosed the problem :detective2: and replaced it myself. A most expensive process as I first added a Power Commander III to my bike in an effort to solve the problem. Of cours the PC III did not solve the problem.

No = Answer to question: "Are you bitter about all this?" Because I know how easy it is to fix this problem, a $200.00 TPS, couple of hours, fixed - for a few more years anyway.

Me = impressed you took the ride over to ask about the event... :D

Me = will keep an ear to the ground for any further info as well

Chad = Nice man I just got off the phone with from YMC, Cypress, regarding the TPS for my 2003 FJR

Active = status of TPS recall for my FJR based on VIN # so I can go to Desert Valley Power Sports to have them install a NEW! IMPROVED! model of the TSP. I told Chad I had noticed the stock # for the TPS had changed from original. He said this one is improved and will not fail as the two previous TPS.

zero$$$ = what it will cost me (to the dealer) for this TPS replacement. I will buy the gas to get there and back. It's a ride though!

None = News I have heard about the Tech day

Trip = I will take to DVPS to check up yet again on the status of Tech day. I talk directly to Don if possible :)

Since I started this I guess I should apologize for any confusion or in-convenience that may have come as a result. When I was picking up my new 08 in January Dan asked me to put a post up on the board to announce the Spring 2010 Techwest to be held in May. I am all to aware of what an undertaking these types of events can be and despite best intentions, sometimes things don't work out. This was the case a couple of years back, so while I was a bit hesitant to make the announcement, Dan was very firm in the fact that this years event was going to be a go. I did make several calls in regards to any updates on the event but never received any word back. Due to a very busy personal life the last few months Techwest had a tendency to end up on the back burner as far as my being as diligent in my follow-up on this as I would have been in the past. So while I am sorry this didn't come off as planned, anyone who has ever attended a Techwest at Desert Valley/Sunnyside knows they are a kick-ass good time and well worth the effort to attend. Dan and company are a great group, have been great supporters of the FJR and I am sure they will have the event again in the future. Next time however, it might be best for them to make the announcement once they have their game plan drawn up.