"Test" riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newowner

Reaction score
So I wonder what other people do. I have a new FJR and am trying to sell my other bike, a Vstrom. I just had a guy come look at it and asked to take it for a teat ride. I was reluctant, but consented. After the test ride he said he was "going to look around" some more. I now think he had little if any intention of buying, just wanted to try the model out. What is the norm? Do any of you let people test ride? I would not consent to others riding the FJR as it is quite high performance, but this was "just a Vstrom" after all. What could happen? :) Anyway, I just feel used.

So I wonder what other people do. I have a new FJR and am trying to sell my other bike, a Vstrom. I just had a guy come look at it and asked to take it for a teat ride. I was reluctant, but consented. After the test ride he said he was "going to look around" some more. I now think he had little if any intention of buying, just wanted to try the model out. What is the norm? Do any of you let people test ride? I would not consent to others riding the FJR as it is quite high performance, but this was "just a Vstrom" after all. What could happen? :) Anyway, I just feel used.
What could happen? The "test" rider could drive off and not come back...he could drive down the street and run in to a parked car...the possibilities of you losing are quite varied.

I personally would NOT let a "tester" ride my bike. Too many liabilities involved. If someone MUST ride a bike I'm trying to sell, they'll have to look elsewhere. But that's just me. Your Mileage May Vary.

If you feel it's okay to let a complete stranger ride one of your motorcycles, you should at least have that person provide you with proof of insurance AND a motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license.

...What is the norm? Do any of you let people test ride? I would not consent to others riding the FJR as it is quite high performance, but this was "just a Vstrom" after all. What could happen? :) Anyway, I just feel used.
In addition to the Truth RH stated, the last time I sold a bike, I had the CASH in had along with his Drivers license...he did buy it.

The next best thing is for you to drive the bike with the other person being a passenger for the feel of the bike until they get real.

Good Luck with your sale.

In the past when I was trying to sell a bike, I wouldn't allow a 'test' ride. Instead, I would offer a 30 minute money back guarantee if they bought the bike. That way if they liked the bike, off they went, I had my money in hand. If they didn't like the bike, no harm done.

Regards,

-Paul

I haven't sold too many bikes, but I have typically always allowed test rides. And I have ALWAYS been given the chance to test ride a bike I was looking at. But then I almost always ride up on a bike which I think makes the person more comfortable about that.

I would never buy a bike w/o a test ride. and I do keep my money in my hand. But then again. I show up with my MSF t-shirt and generally that makes the problem go away.

As far as letting someone else ride my bike. It depends how they are acting and my gut feeling on them. At the very least I get their DL in my hands.

Crap. From the title, I thought you were asking for volunteers! Anyway...I think a lot of it would depend on the person who showed to look at it. Judgement call. Money in hand would be nice, but at the minimum, I'd want to see MC endorsement and an insurance card.

Test rides allowed only after I full selling price cash in my pocket.

Saved my financial ass once when the buyer crashed it out... he so wanted the money back, no dice mister, you bought it, now let's load this piece of broken crap into your truck - it's devaluing my property.

Test rides allowed only after I full selling price cash in my pocket.

Saved my financial ass once when the buyer crashed it out... he so wanted the money back, no dice mister, you bought it, now let's load this piece of broken crap into your truck - it's devaluing my property.
:rofl:

If you choose to allow test rides, have a conversation with your insurance agent first to learn what your potential liability is. Chances are, if anything happens, it is all on you A signed liability waiver and agreement to purchase or repair in the event of damage might get you some leverage, but without cash-in-hand, it's probably your loss. The two threads concerning the bike crash in San Diego by Brian Church kind of tell the story. Bike gets wrecked, and the "prospective buyer" will likely just walk. It's risky business.

I just sold a bike to a guy in Syracuse, NY sight unseen except in photos. It loaded onto a truck on Friday. Test rides are nice, but not necessarily all that revealing.

I just had a guy come look at it and asked to take it for a teat ride. I was reluctant, but consented.
Now, I don't know what sort of shenanigans they allow in western Canada...but I think what you are describing is against the law in several states south of the border...

In the past when I was trying to sell a bike, I wouldn't allow a 'test' ride. Instead, I would offer a 30 minute money back guarantee if they bought the bike. That way if they liked the bike, off they went, I had my money in hand. If they didn't like the bike, no harm done.

Regards,

-Paul
I like your idea here with the money back guarantee.

In the past i have required a check for the negotiated purchase price in order to weed out the tire kickers and I have asked to hold their drivers license while they ride, and only allowed a 10 min ride to try it out. That way they would think twice about doing something stupid and get pulled over because i had their license in hand, and thieves wouldn't want to give me their ID, unless it was phony i guess.

Money and their license in my hand. Endorsement on their license. They are in full gear - helmet, gloves, boots and such.

If they buy it I pull the plate. I have had too many vehicles that I have sold that don't get the registration changed. They can have the plate when they show up with a paid registration.

Joe

Not without this:

TEST RIDER’S ACCEPTANCE OF RESPONSIBILITY

DAY/DATE/YEAR

I, (TEST RIDER) , hereby release(BIKE SELLER), the owner of a (YEAR AND MODEL) motorcycle, from any and all liability for any injuries and/or property damage I may cause to myself or any other parties during a test ride of said motorcycle with the intent of purchasing same.

During the test ride, I agree to give (SELLER) possession of the full purchase price of ($PURCHASE PRICE), (in cash), to hold as security. In the event that I should damage the motorcycle in any way during the test ride, I agree to purchase said motorcycle immediately for the sum of ($PURCHASE PRICE).

BUYER___________________________________ Date_____________

PRINT NAME________________________________________________

SELLER__________________________________ Date______________

PRINT NAME _______________________________________________

I've ridden along on test rides of scooters I've sold, and have never been turned down for a test ride either. If you screw with us "out west" we'll shoot you, plain and simple! :assassin: You steal from us or try to hurt us, we shoot you! And "they" know it! ;)

I sold 3 bikes to individuals in the last 10 years, and allowed test rides on all 3 to the ones that showed up ON a bike. I had 2 guys show up in cars, and told them sorry, but cant allow a test ride unless you come back on a bike. One guy came back, test rode, and bought my bike. The other, never heard from him again. Its a dicey proposition...go with your gut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, I just feel used.
Why do you feel used? You are assuming the guy was just trying to get a test ride and had no intention at all to buy. Maybe during the ride he realized the bike wasn't for him. Maybe he didn't like the power, or the way it shifted, or something...But either way, who cares? He had the bike for 1/2 hour and brought it back undamaged.

Wanna hear somethign funny? At least 1/2 of the guys that posted above me have either ridden a bike or given someone advice to ride a bike just to check the model out. It's a common theme here. A guy asks about test rides at dealerships, and then everyone here says, "Go find a used one for sale and get a test ride on that. Then go buy the new one if you like it." It's a common occurrance, and happens a LOT.

Personally, if the owner of a used bike refused to let me test ride it, I would walk away. I would feel like the owner is hiding something he doesn't want me to find during the ride. There's tons of bikes out there, especially now, and I will find another one that looks just like it. If a seller told me he wanted my cash in hand before I rode the bike, I would again walk away. At that point, there is no knowledge of a clean title, whether the bike even runs as advertised, and whose to say the seller isn't selling a stolen bike, or gonna walk away with my cash.

Like others here, I try help ease the sellers mind by showing up on a bike, having a helmet, gloves and boots, and having my driver's license. I usually spend some time talking bikes with the seller for a bit so they know I'm not just posing. If that's not good enough, I leave.

As for selling bikes...I have sold three and let every buyer test ride it. I have made sure they have MC endorsements on their license and they have to have a helmet, gloves and decent shoes. Insurance? Well, in NM, it is the vehicle that is insured, not the driver, so if the rider crashes the bike, whether insured or not, my insurance is covering it. Like others, I keep their DL and try to limit it to 10 minutes. I haven't been hosed yet, but it could happen. However, I have low deductibles, so I don't really care.

Long story short...Use your head. If someone gives you a bad feeling, trust your gut. Do what you can to be sure you have their info, and if it makes you feel better, copy Mr. Moto's little contract thing. It's not a legal document, but it will help if you have to goto court. I actually like it and may use it too. I think it will give a shithead the idea that I'm serious and will do what I can to recoup any losses caused by him.

I sell several bikes a year. I'll let someone test ride if they show up with at least a helmet (even though one isn't required here in MN) and they give me cash BEFORE the ride. you crash it you bought it. I also accompany them on my own bike to make sure they're not flogging it. No cashee, no ridee.

younger guys get a lot more scrutiny and a lot less "benefit of the doubt" particualrly if the bike in question is high performance. too many times it's just a kid looking for a joy ride.

Had a guy come back once from a test ride and comment "did you notice how it starts to wobble a little around 105 mph?" He did buy it but it sure didn't give me a good feeling about test rides.

I sell several bikes a year. I'll let someone test ride if they show up with at least a helmet (even though one isn't required here in MN) and they give me cash BEFORE the ride. you crash it you bought it. I also accompany them on my own bike to make sure they're not flogging it. No cashee, no ridee.

younger guys get a lot more scrutiny and a lot less "benefit of the doubt" particualrly if the bike in question is high performance. too many times it's just a kid looking for a joy ride.

Had a guy come back once from a test ride and comment "did you notice how it starts to wobble a little around 105 mph?" He did buy it but it sure didn't give me a good feeling about test rides.