"Test" riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good advice here, thanks. I especially like the -consent after you give me some cash- form. Thanks Mr. Moto. I would not hesitate to let the buyer test ride the bike, as I would like to test ride first too. I would now ask those of you that say they always test ride a bike before buying, how many bikes do you "test", before actually laying money down? I guess I myself just get to the buying part, after hearing about history, problems, and a price agreement, then test ride to make sure everything is as stated. I thought other people did too.

The best line I have heard yet was from a new car salesman who told me, "Don't put miles on someone else's car". Meaning if you are not going to buy it, don't drive it. Cars, and now bikes, can be rented from rental companies if one needs to "try on" for fit, power, handling, etc. I feel crappy because I don't want freebies using my bike if they have no intention of buying. When I wanted to "try on" a Harley, it cost $125 for four hours.

So the norm here it seems is money down. Seperates the lookers from the buyers I guess.

It's ironic, because I bought this used Vstrom, and now my new FJR sight unseen, therefor unridden, and in both cases I am more than satisfied they were "as advertised".

I've allowed test rides in the past and been repaid with broken parts and a no sale. Most of the bikes I've sold in the past few years have been in the $10K+ range. No one is test riding without me having cash in hand with the exception of maybe a beater bike. I've hurt some feelings and may have missed a sales opportunity, but my bikes haven't been damaged either. I went 400 miles with truck & trailer to buy my FJR (the rear tire was marginal for a ride home). I had already told dude on the phone I would have to ride before I bought. My dad and I showed up in his driveway with >$6K in cash (and plenty of concealed weapons), I looked the bike over, liked what I saw, and told him I was a test ride away from buying the bike. We had talked bikes some and I had on my favorite biker T, but he was still nervous about me riding the bike. I understood his feelings. I took the purchase price in cash, showed it to dude, and then gave it to my dad. I told him if I crashed, my dad would be there to hand the cash to him, if all was as it appeared my dad would pay upon my return. I mounted up, rode ~10 minutes, and then brought the bike home.

If you think not allowing test rides is extreme, go talk to the local bike salesmen. They'll tell you test ride/new owner stories that will curdle your milk.

BTW, I was offered a test ride on a bike once, when I didn't ask for one. This guy lived on the side of a mountain about 3 miles off the paved road. His driveway was nothing short of treacherous. I had rode there on my Electra Glide, dude told me that anyone that could ride his driveway without putting a foot down could test ride anything he had for sale. I didn't ride his bike, it was poorly repaired wreck rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
how many bikes do you "test", before actually laying money down?
If I'm down to a test ride, the price has been haggled and all that remains is proof that it runs out right. I'm not gonna ride a bike I'm not fixin' to buy, but that's just me. I'm like that when shopping for a car or truck too.

I sold 3 bikes to individuals in the last 10 years, and allowed test rides on all 3 to the ones that showed up ON a bike. I had 2 guys show up in cars, and told them sorry, but cant allow a test ride unless you come back on a bike. One guy came back, test rode, and bought my bike. The other, never heard from him again. Its a dicey proposition...go with your gut.
or show up in a minivan with wifey, but bring your own armored gear and helmet...that helps... :clapping:

Even if YOU have collision insurance on your bike, not sure whether YOUR policy excludes coverage for other drivers. Same goes for the OTHER driver. He may have insurance (who knows whether it is collision, comp or whatever though), but HIS insurance might not cover a claim on YOUR bike that he is riding.

In any case, I have sold one bike, a suzuki s40. The guy came out, probably about 35 with his girlfriend and said he was buying for her and he drove it up the street and back with my permission without any cash or whatever. He bought it.

But I would NEVER let someone drive my FJR if it were for sale without cash in hand and a motorcycle endorsement. I like the idea of the 30 minute test ride to return it. If they don't have the cash with them, how would they buy it anyway? Just my 2 cents.

I have done this a couple of times but only if they showed me proof of insurance and allowed me to make a copy of their driver's license. :rolleyes:

I have done this a couple of times but only if they showed me proof of insurance and allowed me to make a copy of their driver's license. :rolleyes:
Many m/c dealers (tho, not all by any means) offer test rides (car dealers do it all-the-time).

A couple weeks ago I test drove a new FIAT 500 -- the sales-guy asked for my d/l, took it inside (I think he made a copy?), handed it back and then asked for proof of ins. (cab card) which he kept while I was on the test drive.

BTW, the FIAT 500 doesn't cost much more than a new FJR...

(There was only 1 (one) car and no FIAT building or lot -- they were piggy-backing on another dealership.)

I test rode the FJR I have now prior to buying it. The gentleman rode in front on his 'wing for a 30-minute loop. I thought that was a pretty good way to do it. I had also let him know that I would be paying cash, which I ended up doing.

I don't let anyone test ride. (I guess I should, if I think they are qualified) BUT, I tell them. What do you want to see this bike do? Hop on the back with me and we will go and do that right now.

That way, I'm driving, yet the perspective buyer can hear the motor, see and feel how the bike handles (from the back). It just shows the person that the bike is as advertised and running well.

I have never had a person complain that he couldn't get a "feel" for the bike from the back seat.

AND, it's much more fun if your buyer is a female.

I've never had a female buyer yet, but one can always dream. :rolleyes:

CK

I don't let anyone test ride. (I guess I should, if I think they are qualified) BUT, I tell them. What do you want to see this bike do? Hop on the back with me and we will go and do that right now.

That way, I'm driving, yet the perspective buyer can hear the motor, see and feel how the bike handles (from the back). It just shows the person that the bike is as advertised and running well.

I have never had a person complain that he couldn't get a "feel" for the bike from the back seat.

CK
If you ever decide to sell your bike, don't take Beemerdons for a ride. He'll think its a date.

No one rides my bike without me on theirs. That applies to any given day as well as when I am selling one. There are just too many things that can happen when someone is riding a bike that they don't have to fix. It also tends to slow people down when their bike is being treated the way they are treating someone elses. This is just my two cents.

Lots of good advice here, thanks. I especially like the -consent after you give me some cash- form. Thanks Mr. Moto. I would not hesitate to let the buyer test ride the bike, as I would like to test ride first too. I would now ask those of you that say they always test ride a bike before buying, how many bikes do you "test", before actually laying money down? I guess I myself just get to the buying part, after hearing about history, problems, and a price agreement, then test ride to make sure everything is as stated. I thought other people did too.

The best line I have heard yet was from a new car salesman who told me, "Don't put miles on someone else's car". Meaning if you are not going to buy it, don't drive it. Cars, and now bikes, can be rented from rental companies if one needs to "try on" for fit, power, handling, etc. I feel crappy because I don't want freebies using my bike if they have no intention of buying. When I wanted to "try on" a Harley, it cost $125 for four hours.

So the norm here it seems is money down. Seperates the lookers from the buyers I guess.

It's ironic, because I bought this used Vstrom, and now my new FJR sight unseen, therefor unridden, and in both cases I am more than satisfied they were "as advertised".
You might also want to see if you can lower your deductable until it sells. This way if a test ride goes bad and the tester stiffs you, you will only be out 250 vs 500 or 1000

You might also want to see if you can lower your deductable until it sells. This way if a test ride goes bad and the tester stiffs you, you will only be out 250 vs 500 or 1000
Ha...That was kind of my point, and I forgot to mention it. One of my bikes has liability only. It's too cheap to replace to pay full coverage for it. BUT...When I get ready to sell it, I'll add full coverage during the sale with a low deductible so that if it does get wrecked, I won't care.

That being said, I mentioned that if someone selling a bike demanded I give them the asking price of the bike before I test rode it I would walk away. If someone told me, "My deductible is $250, or $500, and I'll need that before you ride," I'd hand him the cash and be careful not to crash his bike...Like I always am. Maybe asking for your deductible is the way to go. It will definately reduce the number of ding dongs.

CK
If you ever decide to sell your bike, don't take Beemerdons for a ride. He'll think its MAKE it a date.
FIFY, 'zilla! :p

I test rode a guy's bike years ago. Pulled a viscous wheelie with a 78 RM 370 Zookie. Put a huge dent in the gas tank and a huge wad of cash in the guys hand. All the time I owned the bike it had that dent. Accidents do happen.

Gary

darksider #44

Interesting thing about human nature: the user/loser always assumes the world is out to burn him while one who is trustworthy tends to be too trusting. Beware. You play the odds when you allow test rides. The consequences are rare but the risk is real. Cash and license in hand is no guarantee; you still have this liability: who is responsible for what the tester HITS? It can be far more expensive than the FJR. Isn't that bike legally yours until you sign off the title? Take the guy for a ride if he insists on seeing how it runs. Beware of buyers who "never to this or never do that." This is too often a cover up for someone who doesn't trust anyone because they themselves are losers/users. Exceptions? Of course. Take a chance? Depends on how much you like to gamble.

Gary

darksider #44

I'm fixing to sell my old bike now that I have the FJR. I figure if the prospective buyer has their M1 license, a helmet (at least) and cash in hand I will let them. The guy I bought it from let me test ride it and I didn't have my license or even permit yet (I had just taken the MSF course) and I did have the cash but he didn't even ask to see it. Of course we are talking about a <$2000 bike so that's probably part of it.