Testament to Modern Medicine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedFreak

Reaction score
This is an actual emergency room photo of a gentleman who lost control of his motorcycle on a country road in West Virginia. He was unable to negotiate a curve in the road. State Troopers believe that he was traveling at a speed of approximately 75 mph at the time of the accident.

Unfortunately for him, upon striking the ditch after being ejected from the bike, he landed back end first on a fencepost from an old barnyard fence that was downed on the side of the road - the attached picture says it all.

The good news is that after 6 months, this man made a full recovery after suffering

a shattered hip, broken leg, several broken ribs, internal injuries, and "soft tissue" damage. Doctors credited his recovery to the fact that the post lodged itself so tightly that there was little blood loss.

splinter4.jpg

"Nurse, get out of here. This man can't afford to get excited at this point." Nasty!

edit-Damn, I wonder what his bill was. I was in ER for 4 hours, $10,000.00

Last edited by a moderator:
-and I thought in more than a decade as a 9-1-1 paramedic I'd seen it all...

NOT!

OBVIOUSLY, it just wasn't his 'time to go'

I mean, talk about 'sporting some wood'! Oh crap, goin' to hell for that one!

Man that gives NEW meaning to the "oh my achin' ass" response dosen't it :(

Move over nusman, I'm goin' with ya :erm:

Any chance this photo was perhaps.... altered?

:jester:

Man that gives NEW meaning to the "oh my achin' ass" response dosen't it :( Move over nusman, I'm goin' with ya :erm:

Any chance this photo was perhaps.... altered?

Does he even have an ass left to ache? OHMIGOD!!!!!! That is an insane photo.

sure are a bunch of non believers. It's not photoshopped, the picture came from my sister who is an ER nurse. She did not work on him but was on duty working.

-=SF=-

sure are a bunch of non believers. It's not photoshopped, the picture came from my sister who is an ER nurse. She did not work on him but was on duty working.
-=SF=-
So then I would assume she has a release signed by said patient to post this photo here and God knows elsewhere? If not, she can expect a visit by Dewey, Suem and Howe..... :D

Oh the wood looks painfull, but the female ain't to bad on the eyes. :D

Hey you gotta find the positive in things otherwise you'll olse your mind :p

that picture's been around for the last few years at least. it MAY be real, but the origin and circumstances are suspect...

that picture's been around for the last few years at least. it MAY be real, but the origin and circumstances are suspect...
Yup.

I think it's more a testament to Photo Shop.
Yup.
Snopes sez -

The photo is apparently genuine, but the explanation (and outcome) may have been 'improved' over time...

https://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/splinter.asp

SpeadFreak - when did your sister say this happened?? The photo's been circulating since at least 2004

What BS?

I was honest. My sister is a nurse - fact (in WA state)

She did not work on him - fact (Could not she was in Wa state!)

She was on duty - fact (Nurse in the neonatial care unit)

Just trying to add credibility to the picture.

The point of the thread was "Testament to Modern Medicine" in the fact that the guy survived - Simply incredible.

-=SF=-

That could be a survivable injury. I saw as bad as that live during my five years at the trauma center in Memphis but that Left leg looks like it gotta go soon if they don't get it revascularized (not to mention the left kidney, bladder, genitalia, rectum , descending colon, parts of the small bowel, major aorta/iliac/femoral arterial injury and distal vena cava injury,sacral/pelvic trauma, femoral necj/shaft trauma, spinal cord damage at and above the injury site, coagulation difficulties arising from the massive transfusions that will most likely be required during the operation, etc.). The guy look pretty screwed at this point but who knows...we had a guy crushed between a train car one time..and then there was the guy with his leg torn off inthe high speed R1 accident...and then there was the guy who's foot fell into a cotton picker and had it shaved to the bone...and the guy with the backhoe that peeled his leg clean...and the guy who rear-ended a log trcuk that caved his head in about 2-3 inches....and on and on...

John