The bloom is off the rose

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STC10

Reaction score
New York motorcycle show...... there it sat, virtually ignored,seemingly even by Yamaha who didn't even put the effort forth to bring a 2011. They must have figured no one would notice. I'm sure many didn't. The rep I spoke to didn't. I couldn't help but feel that this is the swan song. If I were an optimist, I would speculate that next year will be the year for the Gen 3. With the dual sport seeming to be the latest must have, I would think that the R&D money will follow that trend.

Then again, what the hell do I know?

Even if that's true (The "Swan Song"), a 8 year for a narrow market production run is pretty strong in the U.S........

.......unless the manufacturer is Harley Davidson.

Sport bikes are updated every 1-2 years. The C-10 Concours and Honda ST1100 ran long but they had a fairly strong base and a solid design in a less rapidly changing marketplace.

There were a lot of guys sitting on the FJR at the DC show, at least while I was there. It was right near the Tenere, so I was waiting to sit on that and looking at the FJR. Also getting their wives/GFs on back with them. Seemed to be some interest, still, at least.

Tis true the adventure bike market is where it's at right now, but ST is still a serious niche. I think Yamaha is playing it just right keeping the FJR a bit "behind the curve" with gadgetry/technical advancements compared to the usual rivals. I for one still prefer my Gen 1 FJR over anything offered by the others. It still does everything I want it to with virtually bullet-proof reliability and easy maintenance. I've had BMW's and I have a good friend with a C14 and I won't have either in my garage. Been there and done that before, and these days I would rather ride than wrench (or pay someone to).

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you realize it was a 2010, and not a 2011? I didn't notice. Did you see the 2011 Honda ST1300 for $17,000.00? They haven't changed anything since 2003. How to they justify $17,000.00?

PS. The Tenere looked great. I can see one in my future.

How did you realize it was a 2010, and not a 2011? I didn't notice. Did you see the 2011 Honda ST1300 for $17,000.00? They haven't changed anything since 2003. How to they justify $17,000.00?

Agreed the Tenere is comfortable and well thought out. But it is a big machine at almost 600 pounds and that will always be an issue in the dirt. Always comical when guys take big GS1200 and the like into the wilderness and wonder why they are so beat to hell and not having any fun. If the plan is 90% on/10% off, then a Tenere looks like a winner, but any extended time off pavement warrants a much lighter beast.

If the plan is 90% on/10% off, then a Tenere looks like a winner, but any extended time off pavement warrants a much lighter beast.

I totally agree. I have a KLR650 and at times it is too much for the woods (at least for me). The Tenere would be great for touring and an occational dirt road. I wouldn't try anymore then that. I don't feel like dropping a $15,000.00 motorcycle.

Is the FJR a good off road bike?...say for 95% on 5%off. I see various videos of water crossings, goat trails and gravel.

-Curious in Wheaton.

Is the FJR a good off road bike?...say for 95% on 5%off. I see various videos of water crossings, goat trails and gravel.
You betcha!

While anybody that would do a water crossing with an FJR is simply looney tunes*....I'd have to agree that the FJR does pretty frickin' good on

. I accept responsibility for contributing to the delinquency of a Nevadan.

-Curious in Wheaton.
The rubber protectors on the front fork seals seem to let grit through a bit too easily, which can cause some problems during long-term dusty road/gravel excursions.

At least, that's what the local Yamaha dealer told me when my forks started leaking.

Of course, that trip was probably more like 60% on pavement, 25% gravel, 10% 'natural gravel' aka dirt road, and 5% 'gully that happens to be travelling in the direction we think we're supposed to be going.'

Iggy,

That's a funny vid. I wish I had a Go Pro the time I was going down the back side of Spruce Knob, WV in 2009 and met up with some dudes on BMW K1200 GS ADV"s

coming up the "hill". They near about broke their necks looking at me "La Te Da-ing" my FJR down the boulder strewn goat-path the state of WV called a road. :)

V.

You betcha!

While anybody that would do a water crossing with an FJR is simply looney tunes*....I'd have to agree that the FJR does pretty frickin' good on

A Rose, never considered the FJR as a flower.

More like a fine Wine that only gets better with age.

I once told my wife that I was considering a KLR as a second bike, and after I explained what a KLR was she choked out "you ride off road on purpose" then laughed about it for two days.

Guess I won't be getting a Tenere.

While anybody that would do a water crossing with an FJR is simply looney tunes
Hey! I resemble that remark.

BTW, my avatar takes place in WV. Some roads they got there! Not! Some roads there are a collection of washed out gravel, rocks, and tree roots.

Overall the FJR is still a nicely balanced bike and shouldn't be considered out of date just because they haven't got the latest list of over the top features on them, and just because something can be done technologically, doesn't mean it should be done, but that seems to be where the markets are heading regardless of whether it is right or wrong or even wanted.

I totally agree. I have a KLR650 and at times it is too much for the woods (at least for me). The Tenere would be great for touring and an occational dirt road. I wouldn't try anymore then that. I don't feel like dropping a $15,000.00 motorcycle.

Yeah, for my Dual-Sport money I would pick up one of those little Kawi Versys and spin a set of Pirelli MT-60-R (60% on/ 40% off) on there. For less than $7K and the right tires, you could take that torquey little twin to the moon and back. The only reason I don't have one is I have to thin the herd. 3 cars, 2 bikes, 2 jet skis, 1 truck, and 1 boat. My wife is threatening to put me on "Vehicle Hoarders" reality TV if I bring home anything else.

No heated grips. Then I looked at the vin plate. Then I asked the rep who also looked at the vin plate and seemed surprised. Granted the K1600GTL was the hit of the ST line. It reminded me of 2006 when my wife and I went to sit on the new Gen 2 to see if it suited us both. Remember back then that was the only way to get a feel for it before you plunked down your money. There were huge crowds around it, just like the BMW this year. I will admit, I sipped of the Koolaid a little this year. Well beyond my ability to pay I'm guessing. Super ergos for me.

The Triumph Tiger 800 was my choice for Adventure bike. I wonder if the Adventure set is similar to the SUV crowd, the most off road 90% have ever been is a dirt driveway.

ah, but where's that shot of an FJR down on its side in the mud? Wasn't that RJ too? :D
Naw, that was me in '06 in the middle of nowhere New Mexico. That one I coulda possibly gotten down the road with true knobby, but then I wouldn't haven't been able to do the other 4000 miles in 4 days.