The Dragon ,The Snake and New Roadsmart tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EOM 2006 website is still up, including all of the mapped rides.

There's a map of the Shady Valley area, coming out of Boone, NC as the base point.

I used to live in Johnson City, and I had other favorite roads in the area. These were usually further south, but still along the TN/NC boarder. If you look at the White Knuckle Express route, you'll see two of my favorite areas. The first is the lower most loop from Erwin, TN heading south on 19, then back north on old highway 23. This is a particularly good loop for a short afternoon ride. 19 was also repaved in '06 and when I left was in pristine condition.

The second good area is from Erwin, across the mountains on US19W (turns into NC SR352) and into Bakersville, then north across Roan Mountain back into TN. This has a lot of mixed terrain and some GREAT views! Beware of gravel on 19/352, especially after hard rains. I came out of a 180 corner to find an entire gravel driveway washed out into the road. 2" thick gravel for about 40 feet covering both lanes! Not fun! But the road is worth the small problems...

Oh, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of bike to get that would be close to a baby FJR.
One possibility is a Honda VFR800 like this one. I couldn't see anywhere that it had sold as of today. It would be a bit of a trip for you to Central Florida but I'm sure there are some for sale in your area. It was the bike that I was looking at before I found the FJR.

Back on topic... I've been hearing a lot of good things about these Roadsmart tires. I am on something like my third set of PRs and I've always like them. Besides the mileage that I get out of them I like that their grip is really predictable. Anyone had these Roadsmarts to the limit of their traction?

Oh, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of bike to get that would be close to a baby FJR.
One possibility is a Honda VFR800 like this one. I couldn't see anywhere that it had sold as of today. It would be a bit of a trip for you to Central Florida but I'm sure there are some for sale in your area. It was the bike that I was looking at before I found the FJR.
I agree. A VFR is a great choice as a baby sport tourer. Not very worthy for 2-up, but quite good solo. I would advise trying to find a 5th generation VFR. That would be the model years 1998 through 2001. Those have the desirable combination of electronic fuel injection with no cats, gear driven camshafts and do not have the undesirable VTEC valve scheme that causes a burst of power at a certain rpm. Not a good thing to have happen in mid-corner. I own a '98 VFR but I really like the MY 2000 VFRs which came in bright yellow.

249_0_1_4_vfr%20800%20f_Image%20by%20Honda.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg

Back on topic... I've been hearing a lot of good things about these Roadsmart tires. I am on something like my third set of PRs and I've always like them. Besides the mileage that I get out of them I like that their grip is really predictable. Anyone had these Roadsmarts to the limit of their traction?

I just mounted a rear Roadsmart before EOM to replace a worn out Strada. I ran it 2500 miles over the last week, including 1500 miles of getting to EOM and back through the backroads of WV, VA, PA, NY and MA. While I have not taken the tire to the limit of adhesion (I am not that accomplished a rider), I have taken it to the edge of its available tread. So if I was able to getr much more of a lean going I'd be reducing my contact patch. The cross sectional profile seems somewhat flatter on these tires than most others I have seen and ridden. In comparison, I had some healthy chicken strips on my worn out Stradas. I must admit I was riding considerably harder and cornering faster than ever in the hills of WV.

The softer compound on the sides of this tire feels sticky to me like a true sport bike tire, especially after a good warm up, similar to the Pirelli Diablos I have mounted on my VFR, and the center section of harder compound seems to be holding up to the slab miles as advertised.

So far, me likey. Me likey a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The seat does look a little weak, doesn't it? One might be better off to stay with the real FZ and get a Corbin. There is a European company that makes full fairing kits for the FZ. It looks like it could actually be the bastard child of the FJR.

Just an update on my Roadsmart tires. I now have just over 5000 on them and several mountian road rides including back to the dragon this past weekend. ( actually we found many good roads near the dragon that are better suited for the FJR ,,you know,,, Sweepers and such.)

anyway, I am not going to get as many miles as I had hoped, because I am nearing the wear bar, but they have been great and I am going to order some more I think. It is unusual to have the front and rear wear at the same rate, but these do, so I will need both, not just the rear like most tires. thats alright with me , I like to change in pairs and have a fresh full set to start out again.

Just an update on my Roadsmart tires. I now have just over 5000 on them and several mountian road rides including back to the dragon this past weekend. ( actually we found many good roads near the dragon that are better suited for the FJR ,,you know,,, Sweepers and such.)anyway, I am not going to get as many miles as I had hoped, because I am nearing the wear bar, but they have been great and I am going to order some more I think. It is unusual to have the front and rear wear at the same rate, but these do, so I will need both, not just the rear like most tires. thats alright with me , I like to change in pairs and have a fresh full set to start out again.

Eric,

Out of curiosity, where on the tire are you reaching the wear bars? In the center hard compound or the sides. I'm guessing that I will wear mine out on the sides long before the middle as I'm not a big slabber. If that is the case, I'll likely not repeat purchase on these as I can wear the sides out on other non-dual compound tires at the same rate for less money.

The center is wearing first. But Most of my miles were going to the places I wanted to ride. ( I.E. Getting to the Curves) And I have a beach trip and some other straight road rides this year ( more then I would like) .But the tires haven't cupped like other tires I have had, and they are still handling great.  The D220's I had before cupped up so bad when you leaned hard in a corner it sounded like a tractor coming and that was with higher tire presure then I have been running with these.all in all I am very happy.

J.......................................... including back to the dragon this past weekend. ( actually we found many good roads near the dragon that are better suited for the FJR ,,you know,,, Sweepers and such.)......................................................
No, I don't know! How insulting! Unless your 07 is much less of a bike than my 08, the FJR is perfect for the Dragon!

One day, this June, I rode the Dragon 10 times on my FJR.

Sorry to lay this on you but you should have said, "we found many good roads near the dragon that are better suited for our riding style,, you know,,,novices and such".

It's you, not the bike.

I love riding the Dragon on the Feej. If I could just get rid of the traffic and the LEOs..................................

Did someone say baby FJR? New FZ6R
Huh...now THAT'S interesting. I like the new fairing.

The under-slung exhaust is new; I actually like the under-seat pipes on non-R's better, but lowering it would create a lower center of gravity.

Wonder why the rear tire is narrower that non-R's?

Did someone say baby FJR? New FZ6R
Huh...now THAT'S interesting. I like the new fairing.

The under-slung exhaust is new; I actually like the under-seat pipes on non-R's better, but lowering it would create a lower center of gravity.

Wonder why the rear tire is narrower that non-R's?
Word on the street is that it is also de-tuned a bit. Supposed to be more of a 'beginner' bike.