The Dragon ,The Snake and New Roadsmart tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have to stop 2 times early in the ride to make suspension changes and to drop the tire pressure ( I ended up with the 32 psi front and 35 back.)
Was that a typo? I generally run 40 front, 42 rear COLD. If you were airing warm tires down to 32 psi they must have gotten pretty mushy...
No typo. I started out with the suspension all stock. but the 39-41 tire pressure that worked good on the sweepers made me very uneasy on the switchbacks I found that even the smallest imperfections in the road at full lean moved the bike. so I dropped the tires to 35-37 and that was much better but I wanted to drop it a little more and ended up at 32-35. Not good for tire wear but the roadsmarts like it for spirited rides.

When I used to do track days I would run 30 psi cold ( 32 or 33 after race session ) Now that was on a much lighter bike, but same size tire, and these tires feel a little stiffer to me so the drop in tire pressure didn't make it feel mushy. I didn't feel much difference after the second drop in air pressure so I could have stayed with the 35-37 setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked it up on Streets&Trips.....................oh how I loath the meager roads in southern Ontario :angry: \
Me too.. just came back from 1000 clicks in 24 hrs down to Port Elgin and back.. damn I hate the flat land. Its so nice returning to the Canadian Shield where engineers are forced to actually put curves in the road. Now if they could do something about the 4 hours of rain ...
especially on the 401 where 100k is the max and anything over is risking a trip to the OPP chateau.The bridges over the 401 look like OPP buzzard nests. :angry2:

I have also added the Roadsmart tires to my FJR and have about 1000 miles on them. I have noticed that running 38/42 in them that I tend to track the imperfections in the road more than I did with the stock tires. I thought (it was my impression) that this was worse when I ran them about 4 psi lower.

I wonder if running lower pressure actually defeats the purpose of buying these tires and you should just buy some performance tires.

Too early to tell how long they will last.

the law enforcement presence is no better in shady valley than the dragon. there were 4 leo's w/in a 5 mile radius of that intersection in shady valley when the fj group was there in mid-may, on a saturday. 4 fj riders got tickets, and one of those guys got two tickets in 5 minutes. they had a petition to sign inside the country store on the counter about the leo's constantly being on the "prowl".

and truthfully, for bikes like the fj and fjr, there are better roads _leading up_ to the dragon, and shady valley, than the actual dragon and the snake, with nice sweepers.

dean

cincinnati

I have a personal "fishin' hole" ride which generally is traffic and LEO free. During the last part of June and the first half of July, I would see 2 to 4 State troopers hiding in different spots nearly every day. I never had to greet any of them (they'll generally cut you some slack if you're within 10 mph of the limit), but they were obviously there for a reason.

Petitions to cut LEO presence, as well as the continuous whining down in NC over THP's presence on the Dragon, is pretty silly. Public roads are the legitimate domain of enforcement, and the truth is, MOST of the citizens who see their home turf infested with squids aren't too sad to see the LEO's. Ever notice the signs locals put up at the Dragon telling the squids to go home?

Build a race track if you want to advertise that you're running a personal motogp course. Advertising public roads with the idea that folks can come and pretend they're Rossi is pretty irresponsible.

Build a race track if you want to advertise that you're running a personal motogp course. Advertising public roads with the idea that folks can come and pretend they're Rossi is pretty irresponsible.
Along these same lines, I am surprised that the locals allow Killboy and crew free reign to do what they do. I know they are technically "within their rights", but one could argue that they are encouraging others to criminal acts. They certainly help publicize the "ride the dragon" stuff. Those locals that hate squids might also have some animosity toward their photographer, no? Do the LEOs ever come out and roust them?

Along these same lines, I am surprised that the locals allow Killboy and crew free reign to do what they do. I know they are technically "within their rights", but one could argue that they are encouraging others to criminal acts. They certainly help publicize the "ride the dragon" stuff. Those locals that hate squids might also have some animosity toward their photographer, no? Do the LEOs ever come out and roust them?
Actually, Killboy has cried harrassment too. He was whining about how the LEO's said that he was creating a nuisance, and that his crew exacerbated the problems. Of course he cried foul, pointed out how nicely they swept up the corners, and how they had never contributed to any accidents. About that time was when he got rid of the crash photos on the weekly highlights. I don't know if he is still promoting the idea that if you crash your picture is free, but he was doing that for a while, and it was prominently advertised on his web site. They seem to have gotten rid of their "flasher" highlights too these days. Maybe there is less flashing with the LEO's around... tickets for public indecency and all... I don't check his web site but once in a blue moon.

There are others doing the same thing as Killboy, so the woods up there are full of would be moto-foto journalists. Mo-Fo for short.

You have to think this through a little more. I'm very sure that the publicity the "Dragon" gets has brought an enormous amount of money into the area. I've been there twice, and I have read a lot about the Dragon - from what I can tell the police actually are not really all that strict in enforcing the speeds. I think they walk a fine line between not shutting it down, yet showing enough presence (and threat of presence) to keep things in a happy medium. Kilboy is a big part of keeping up the national attention that brings in the tourist dollars.

You have to think this through a little more. I'm very sure that the publicity the "Dragon" gets has brought an enormous amount of money into the area. I've been there twice, and I have read a lot about the Dragon - from what I can tell the police actually are not really all that strict in enforcing the speeds. I think they walk a fine line between not shutting it down, yet showing enough presence (and threat of presence) to keep things in a happy medium. Kilboy is a big part of keeping up the national attention that brings in the tourist dollars.
The costs of hauling people out offset much of the benefit. Plus the guys promoting it are in NC, and the damages are almost always in TN. Besides, are tourist dollars really worth it if you get T-boned by an a**hole riding over his head passing on a double blind curve? It depends on whether you're the one getting T-boned I suppose.

If there's one thing our governments are good at, its figuring out how to get more tax dollars. The enforcement ramp up came after extensive input from local people in the region.

I had thought of that. Tourist $ is great, but not if it disturbs the quality of life for those that live there. To consider it another way, would you like this kind of situation going on in your home town? Would you move there, buy a house, raise a family?

Eric,

I agree with you. I just rode the Dragon for the first time on a bike (once in a car) on Wednesday. 11:00 am. Very little traffic as compared to weekends. No police. Did have a semi and thank god it was not in the corner the same time we were. I had a great ride and would do it again weekdays only. It was definitely more than I thought it would be but, not a warped as some describe it. I only have been riding for 12000 miles over two years and consider myself a novice. While we were not burning through it we were not flower sniffing either. That said, my partner and I did have some anxieties the night before.

I agree with you also on there are other roads around. Our goal was to complete the BRP. So we entered at Waynesboro, VA and came off the BRP on 80 East at the Mt Crabtree Meadows detour. 80 off the mountain was like like the Wild Mouse ride but at a severe degree. . No trucks or RV's allowed. We had fun on the Skyway and 28 too. . Have not done the Snake yet but definitely will do it soon.

Thanks for the post.

Oddball

First I want to say that not all the Bad things some here have said about the Dragon are true.I went to the Deals Gap aka "the dragon" over the 4th of july. 318 curves in 11 miles,,,,who can resist. :yahoo:

I stayed the night and got an early start on the dragon the next morning. at 7:30 a.m. there were only a few die hard sport bikes and me. No police, or semi's or minivans. :rolleyes: It was perfect. so I sugest you go Early and avoid the crowds, because the crowds did come and so did the police , but not until about 9:30ish but this was also a holiday weekend, so an off weekend would probably be beter.

I did have to stop 2 times early in the ride to make suspension changes and to drop the tire pressure

( I ended up with the 32 psi front and 35 back.)

Then yesterday I went back to TN to a place called Shady valley , aka the snake. 489 curves in 12 miles. It was nearly 4 hours getting there but we got there.

The ride through the snake was much better than the dragon, partly because I had my friends with me and I knew if something went wrong they would be there unlike the dragon , they pushed me to really ride the snake harder than I did on the dragon ( although I had to stop to let them catch up, what do you expect with an FJR against 2 cruisers).

My 3 week old Roadsmart tires now have a little over 2000 miles on them and I can say they are the best tires I have had out of the three sets so far ( I.e. stock ones, and D220s)

They barely show a flat spot in the center dispite the fact that most of the miles have been highways , getting me to the curves, and they were very confident in the 1600 + curves that riding up and back through both of those roads aquired on them. all in all A+ from me.

If you get a chance to ride either of these roads, do it. Just do it safely.

I had thought of that. Tourist $ is great, but not if it disturbs the quality of life for those that live there. To consider it another way, would you like this kind of situation going on in your home town? Would you move there, buy a house, raise a family?
I guess I'm confused. Nobody lives on the Dragon. And I really don't think the riders are doing much to upset the people who live in the general area. Everytime I've been there, I see hundreds of bikes a day, and they are all very courteous and respectful. All the wild-ass stuff goes on away from the populated areas, as far as I can tell. I can tell you that I have been treated with nothing but respect at all of the businesses I've visited while in the area.

I'm picking my bike up from the shop today after getting a set of roadsmarts put on, then I'm leaving for colorado on friday. This thread tickles me to death as I was beginning to HATE the bt020's, which is all I've ever had on it.
Fresh roadsmarts on here too. Can't wait to scuff em up! Have fun in CO. Maybe next year...

Question... have any of you guys ridden both the Dragon and Old Route 66 from Kingman to Oatman, Az ?

I was just wondering how they compared....

Thanks

Mary

They are pretty much the same highway, asphalt.

Question... have any of you guys ridden both the Dragon and Old Route 66 from Kingman to Oatman, Az ? I was just wondering how they compared....

Thanks

Mary
Maybe both of these are trolls.

Kingman to Oatman along old 66, switching over to 10 and over the mountain isn't even paved all the way.

If you're wondering if the routes are similar, take a look at the satellite photos from Kingman to Oatman, and from Robbinsville, NC to Maryville, TN.

I doubt that there are a lot of big rigs running through from Kingman to Oatman on 66 to 10. That last few miles on the mountain would probably be exciting with an offroad vehicle. It doesn't look like a sane place for an FJR.

They are pretty much the same highway, asphalt.

Question... have any of you guys ridden both the Dragon and Old Route 66 from Kingman to Oatman, Az ? I was just wondering how they compared....

Thanks

Mary
Maybe both of these are trolls.

Kingman to Oatman along old 66, switching over to 10 and over the mountain isn't even paved all the way.

If you're wondering if the routes are similar, take a look at the satellite photos from Kingman to Oatman, and from Robbinsville, NC to Maryville, TN.

I doubt that there are a lot of big rigs running through from Kingman to Oatman on 66 to 10. That last few miles on the mountain would probably be exciting with an offroad vehicle. It doesn't look like a sane place for an FJR.
No, I'm not a troll. I don't have an FJR anymore either, but like this forum because there's a ton of good info here. The FJR was too big for me so I sold it.

In 2004 I rode with my friends from Hawaii (we were on rented Harleys, I had a Heritage) from Vegas, over the Hoover Dam, to breakfast in Chloride, thru Kingman, over old RT 66 up and down the mountain to Oatman, took the interstate back to Vegas. About 300 miles.

Old Rt 66 is paved, but full of tar snakes. I was just wondering if anyone that had ridden this road had also ridden the Dragon and if the curves and riding are similar or way different. I haven't been to the Dragon yet. Old Rt 66 was my first ride on a bunch of twisties, it was ummm..... interesting, especially since most of my riding has been on freeways and fairly flat roads. I didn't take the pics, was packing one of the girls (she doesnt' ride) and just handed her my camera. I would have taken more pics, but, oh well.....

Wasn't talking about trucks, only saw a couple of pickups and cars on Rt 66.

Oh, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of bike to get that would be close to a baby FJR.

And if you don't believe you can ride on that road, here is the link to my pics....

https://outdoors.webshots.com/album/1409590...?vhost=outdoors

Mary

Last time I rode the Dragon was in 2005 as part of the EOM out of Townsend, TN. We were on our way back from a 340 mile jaunt into SC and GA. Came back on the Dragon at night. That's a buzz! Nobody on the road then! ;)