The Dunlop Roadsmart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently installed the front RS3 and immediately put almost 3000 miles on it, both slab and back roads, some "a little" on the rough side. No complaints so far. Rode through several hours of steady rain, some heavy at times, but the tire never gave me any reason to feel uncomfortable. I will say it is definitely louder than the T31 it replaced but by the end of the week I didn't give it a second thought. Looking forward to seeing how long it'll last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final comment for me.

At 9960 km, about 6190 miles, the front is about 2.5mm of tread. I am about to leave for a longish (8500km) trip, so I have to replace the frt now.

It looks like this -

LxcIRm.jpg

So I am right in line with the other remarks about RSIII’s lasting about 85% of the life of PR4’s.

Onto PR5’s next.

-Steve

Final comment for me.

At 9960 km, about 6190 miles, the front is about 2.5mm of tread. I am about to leave for a longish (8500km) trip, so I have to replace the frt now.

It looks like this -

So I am right in line with the other remarks about RSIII’s lasting about 85% of the life of PR4’s.

Onto PR5’s next.

-Steve
I am finding that the fronts outlast the rears by a fair margin.  About two fronts to three rears.  I would say that your front still has a way to go (but not an 8500 km trip).  If you change your own tires, I would definitely keep it as a "take-off" for local riding or to finish out a season.  

Nothing quite like starting out a trip on brand new tires.  I will be interested in seeing how your Road 5's last (Michelin dropped the "Pilot" from the name).  From what I have read, the "GT" version was originally supposed to be available in 2019 but I haven't heard anything more - no published release date.  I will stick with the Roadsmart 3's until the GT version of the Road 5 is available.  Michelin does not recommend the non-GT version for heavier ST bikes.

I thought something felt funny on Sunday's ride.  This is 7000-ish miles on the front RS3.  The right side is scalloped horribly.  This happened over a 400 mile ride.  Considering price and mileage, the PR4GT cost about the same.  I think I'm going back to the Michelin.

IMG-0209-X3.jpg

I am finding that the fronts outlast the rears by a fair margin.  About two fronts to three rears.  I would say that your front still has a way to go (but not an 8500 km trip).  If you change your own tires, I would definitely keep it as a "take-off" for local riding or to finish out a season.  

Nothing quite like starting out a trip on brand new tires.  I will be interested in seeing how your Road 5's last (Michelin dropped the "Pilot" from the name).  From what I have read, the "GT" version was originally supposed to be available in 2019 but I haven't heard anything more - no published release date.  I will stick with the Roadsmart 3's until the GT version of the Road 5 is available.  Michelin does not recommend the non-GT version for heavier ST bikes.
I am the opposite, the RSIII rear is about 4 mm of tread, and its going to take me to Ottawa. I expect to see a half worn, or less, front, and a worn out rear tire coming off.

Getting tires in Canada at the end of the season isnt that easy. I wanted to try a set of Metzler Roadtec HWM’s; its seems there are none to be had until Jan. Very curious about a ‘bulked up’ front, since thats where my wear happens first. The Road 5 set was what I could find at a dealer in Ottawa. So they will bring me back home, & hopefully ride out the winter season. (Not one Ottawa dealer would let me ship a pr of tires for them to install)

RossKean, if you want a half worn RSIII front, you can ride to Ottawa and pick it up after Sept 13. Let me know and I will ask the dealer to hold it for you.

Watch for a new thread, Road5 vs Roadtec HWM. Coming in 2020 to NEPRT.

-Steve

I am the opposite, the RSIII rear is about 4 mm of tread, and its going to take me to Ottawa. I expect to see a half worn, or less, front, and a worn out rear tire coming off....

RossKean, if you want a half worn RSIII front, you can ride to Ottawa and pick it up after Sept 13. Let me know and I will ask the dealer to hold it for you...

-Steve
That is what I was saying - 2 fronts to 3 rear.

Thanks for the offer. 😁   I always seem to end out with a few take-offs around because I change my own tires (often just before a trip) and can't bear to throw out something with useful life left.  Re-installation cost isn't usually a factor - just my time.  I use up some of them but more often decide to toss them after sitting in the basement a year or two.

"I am finding that the fronts outlast the rears by a fair margin" 

My experience with one set is the opposite, 2 frts (well 1.5) to one rr. Running at Manufacture's suggested pressure 39/41.

FWIW - my Parts Canada 'insider' says Road5GT will be available in Canada in Jan 2020.

We can all send our tread remaining takeoff's to the guy who re-soled his sandals from his tires.  

-Steve

"I am finding that the fronts outlast the rears by a fair margin" 

My experience with one set is the opposite, 2 frts (well 1.5) to one rr. Running at Manufacture's suggested pressure 39/41.

FWIW - my Parts Canada 'insider' says Road5GT will be available in Canada in Jan 2020.

We can all send our tread remaining takeoff's to the guy who re-soled his sandals from his tires.  

-Steve
I misunderstood the comment where you said you expected to take off a worn out rear tire and a half used front.  Guess this is the second front for that rear.  I have to get through another couple of RS3 and if the Road5 GT is available,  I will try them.  Otherwise, I may experiment with a set of Shinko Ravens in the interim.  So many tires, so little time...

That's interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience with my RS3s. I went on a 1700 mile trip with them, and we had several cold days in the high 30s-low 40's that included rain, sleet, and snow one day through twisty mountain passes. I never felt insecure with the RS3s. Tire pressure was 42 rear, 39 front, which is lower than I used on the Contis that I took off before the RS3. The Contis were a super grippy tire, and the RS3 feels just as good to me.
I've got a couple of thousand miles now on the RS3 and have run them in similar (less ideal conditions) as you mention and have been very pleasantly surprised with their performance and behavior. I've previously mostly run PR2, as well as a few sets of PR3, Angel GT, BT030, etc.

In fact I'm so impressed with these tires already (especially considering their attractive price point) I've already purchased a second set of RS3 for my other set of rims.

I've got a couple of thousand miles now on the RS3 and have run them in similar (less ideal conditions) as you mention and have been very pleasantly surprised with their performance and behavior. I've previously mostly run PR2, as well as a few sets of PR3, Angel GT, BT030, etc.

In fact I'm so impressed with these tires already (especially considering their attractive price point) I've already purchased a second set of RS3 for my other set of rims.
Agreed, their performance in wet is very good. Solid feel, and the same in dry. I wish they lasted longer . . . .

-Steve

That is what I was saying - 2 fronts to 3 rear.

Thanks for the offer. 😁   I always seem to end out with a few take-offs around because I change my own tires (often just before a trip) and can't bear to throw out something with useful life left.  Re-installation cost isn't usually a factor - just my time.  I use up some of them but more often decide to toss them after sitting in the basement a year or two.
I have a tall stack of take offs that I planned to use some day, but a new set of tires feels so good that I can never bring myself to reinstall a used tire. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of a stack of aged tires with half tread on them. 😯

The Road 5 GTs are suppose to be in distribution now although I haven't seen them on any sites selling the GT tires yet??

I've tried most of the popular brands of tires at this point except the Road Smarts. I've come to the conclusion that moving from one brand to another doesn't really help my tire life, or at least I'm not running in enough of a controlled condition to tell. For me it appears to do with how I ride and under what conditions. Most of my riding these days is loaded for a week or longer trip on "fun" roads. Not a lot of slabbing and zero commuting in the last couple of years. On my last trip I started with a brand new set of Bridgestone T31s. The rear tire last 9 days, 3,800 miles before I was on cords. At the same time I read messages here about people running the same tires and getting 8 to 12k on them??

When I used to commute on my bike I could get 6k'ish on a set but those days appear to be behind me....

Michelin does not recommend the non-GT version for heavier ST bikes.

Yeah, whatever.

So much mental masturbation over the years when it comes to this subject!  I've done both over the years and haven't really noticed a difference.  Usually I spend most of my time one-up and not very loaded.  However, this summer while in Europe I was two-up and heavily loaded to the max.  Went through the Bridgestone T31s quick, and beggars can't be choosers......  Found a place that had a set of PR4s and had them installed.  Non-GT.  They performed admirably despite the weight under some very hard riding conditions.  Ideally, I would have liked GT spec but not sure how they could have performed any better.....

Yeah, whatever.

So much mental masturbation over the years when it comes to this subject!  I've done both over the years and haven't really noticed a difference.  Usually I spend most of my time one-up and not very loaded.  However, this summer while in Europe I was two-up and heavily loaded to the max.  Went through the Bridgestone T31s quick, and beggars can't be choosers......  Found a place that had a set of PR4s and had them installed.  Non-GT.  They performed admirably despite the weight under some very hard riding conditions.  Ideally, I would have liked GT spec but not sure how they could have performed any better.....
I would normally agree on this - for the previous Michelins PR tires, GT was something that ONLY made a difference in handling or longevity running a heavily loaded bike.  I looked on the Michelin website and Road5 is not a tire that is recommended for the FJR.  I might not pay that much attention except for a couple of less-than-stellar reports from some individuals who have given them a try.  One or two reviews does not necessarily condemn these tires but I will still wait for a better consensus on performance for the Road5 or the Road5 GT.  Liked the PR2 rears but hated the fronts, really hated the PR3's, never tried the PR4 and will wait before trying the latest incarnation; especially at their price point.. 

On my second non-GT Road5 front. Replaced the first one at 7765 because it had squared off from a 5800 mile trip to UP Michigan and we were heading out to thrash some mountain roads. Still not down to the bars but handling suffered. Seemed to square off a bit more than Theresa's PR4GT. Front mileage the same (near as makes a difference) with Z8's or PR4's on both bikes. We run 36 psi on the fronts with all of the tires. Tried 41 and 39 and both of us did not like the handling and ride. The Road5 rear looks like it will last longer than the other rear tires we've used; probably 10,000 or more. Amazing how different every ones experience is with tires. We get similar wear, even though I'm 225 and she is 155. We don't drag pegs but like fast sharp corners. Our riding is about 1/3 rider only (mostly twisties), the rest on trips with luggage.

I loved the Z8's handling. My PR4 experience was on Theresa's bike that she had set up for her liking so maybe not a fair comparison. However, I have to say I now prefer the handling of the Road5. I will check out the GT version when available but we've had minimal cupping on the PR4's or the Road5.

YMMV

The Road 5 GTs are suppose to be in distribution now although I haven't seen them on any sites selling the GT tires yet??

I've tried most of the popular brands of tires at this point except the Road Smarts. I've come to the conclusion that moving from one brand to another doesn't really help my tire life, or at least I'm not running in enough of a controlled condition to tell. For me it appears to do with how I ride and under what conditions. Most of my riding these days is loaded for a week or longer trip on "fun" roads. Not a lot of slabbing and zero commuting in the last couple of years. On my last trip I started with a brand new set of Bridgestone T31s. The rear tire last 9 days, 3,800 miles before I was on cords. At the same time I read messages here about people running the same tires and getting 8 to 12k on them??

When I used to commute on my bike I could get 6k'ish on a set but those days appear to be behind me....
Wow - what a difference. I ride a similar bike, but most of my riding is commuting with the occasional 1,000 mi weekend trip (2-up) plus lots of day trips in PNW. I am currently at 15,000 miles on my rear PR4 GT - and I expect several thousand more. A few weeks ago I rode to Boise and back. I looked at the tire before the trip and almost decided to replace it, but I decided that it would have another 1,000 mi left. I expected it to be at wear marks when I got home, but to my surprise I really couldn't see a difference! It seems to have stopped wearing - but I know that can't be true. This is by far the most I have ever gotten out of a rear tire. On my ST1300 I was used to 6-8k (Dunlop) and 8-10k (Angel GT), so I am amazed at these PR4. Needless to say, I have another pair ready to go in my garage. And the wear is extremely even - no scalloping, noise, or weird performance at all. My front PR4 lasted only 12,000 miles - first time I have seen a rear last longer than a front.